Featured Thread
May 3, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette C7 Z51
Province
BC
So since my C6 is in winter hibernation and I am now too.. figured I'd do some cosmetic work... I bought a leather repair kit from leather touch up dye and going to give it a whirl.
First though, I did some carbon fiber wrap on the dull silver center console and other parts;
The before:
IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2229.JPG

The after:
SPZC3493.JPG

It turned out okay and looks way better.. it's not flawless but the beauty is if I want it's easy to remove the vinyl and redo it.

Now on to the seats;
Watched a ton of videos on leather restoration and came across a dye company that has automotive matching dyes so I figured I'd give it a go...
Pulled the seats out and this is the damage I'm trying to repair;
IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

The kit comes with their proprietary leather cleaner, and it's very good, but man were these seats dirty and oily. I'm going to do my steering wheel too which is slick as all get go...
Last night I did a couple of rounds of it on each seat and the steering wheel and in between used some 70% isopropanol, thought that would be good, but went down this morning and parts still looked slick so I did a quick test with the alcohol and more dirt was coming up..
The instructions said it could take quite a while for the oils and dirt to leach up, as much as weeks... yikes that could be true...
I remembered watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers, where they refurbished some leather seats and the guy soaked the seats with the cleaner and covered them with garbage bags and put them in the sun to help the process.... so I figured what the heck;
IMG_2264.JPG

It's miserable out... no sun, but trying the ceramic heater... and that's why I have time to post this...

I'M SO BORED!!!

Reactions: Jayman
Don't know if it will show but after a couple more treatments the lack of shine is really noticeable;
IMG_2266.JPG

So I applied some dye to where I'm going to use their repair filler;
IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2268.JPG
They suggest doing that for better filler adhesion.
I tried some of it on an inconspicuous part of the side vinyl and the color match is perfect... one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: Jayman
i think it looks awesome, good job... if my car was not in garage off site with still 3 feet around it( the garage ) would be tring this myself.. and my new mgw shifter

Thanks, If I had it to do over again and a bit more money, I think I'd take it to a shop and go the hydro dip method. I might still do that down the road..

Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks, If I had it to do over again and a bit more money, I think I'd take it to a shop and go the hydro dip method. I might still do that down the road..

The dash and seats look great. The vinyls are actually good and easy to work with. Pretty durable as well from the experience I have with it on my wheel center caps.

Nice job

Now on to the seats;
Watched a ton of videos on leather restoration and came across a dye company that has automotive matching dyes so I figured I'd give it a go...
Pulled the seats out and this is the damage I'm trying to repair;
View attachment 37923 View attachment 37924 View attachment 37925

The kit comes with their proprietary leather cleaner, and it's very good, but man were these seats dirty and oily. I'm going to do my steering wheel too which is slick as all get go...
Last night I did a couple of rounds of it on each seat and the steering wheel and in between used some 70% isopropanol, thought that would be good, but went down this morning and parts still looked slick so I did a quick test with the alcohol and more dirt was coming up..
The instructions said it could take quite a while for the oils and dirt to leach up, as much as weeks... yikes that could be true...
I remembered watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers, where they refurbished some leather seats and the guy soaked the seats with the cleaner and covered them with garbage bags and put them in the sun to help the process.... so I figured what the heck;
View attachment 37937

It's miserable out... no sun, but trying the ceramic heater... and that's why I have time to post this...

I'M SO BORED!!!
I had my seats repaired on my 03 C5: guy had a nice van, came to my home and did the work. Did a lot a work for the different dealerships. I am sure there are people there - professional work - was not expensive. I am someone that has no patience; so, need something done , I pay to get it done - LOL.

90% of the time I’m the same way. Got my fill of working on cars when I was younger, but I live alone and I’m bored out of my freakin mind right now lol!
If this doesn’t work to my satisfaction I’ll take them in and get them completely redone with new foam too next winter.

90% of the time I’m the same way. Got my fill of working on cars when I was younger, but I live alone and I’m bored out of my freakin mind right now lol!
If this doesn’t work to my satisfaction I’ll take them in and get them completely redone with new foam too next winter.
I hear you man! I can only do so many crossword, sudoku puzzles and watch NFLX!!

For what it's worth, I used 'saddle soap', commonly available at most shoe repair shops, to clean my seats. No shine now, and I'm quite satisfied with the result. I've got a seat rebuild kit (extra foam blocks and matting), that's going in soon.

Yeah that's what I'm going to use in the future and for my daily driver.
I couldn't believe my steering wheel, it was so dirty and took forever to get the oils out, the cleaner I used before just made it slipperier.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread