charles2010

Casual User
Ontario You're Celebrated
May 21, 2019
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Good day, I thought I'd start a new thread, I already if you read my introduction post and other areas on this wonderful forum, noted my story re: my love for Corvettes. At 54 (like I am sure many others on this forum) my story goes way back.

Ok Mr. Peabody where are we going today in the wayback machine? Well Shermin, we are going back to when a Corvette owner is born !!! That sounds great Mr. Peabody !!

(if you old enough you will know where that is referencing … LOL)

So let's hear that warm hearted story what / when / why did you fall in love with Americas Sports CAR !!

Regards,
Charles

Back in 84/85, when I was in high school, I saw my first Corvette, and ever since then I have wanted a 1980 in yellow with a 4 speed...had a couple of chances at that vehicle but for one reason or another, they didn't pan out. A couple of years ago I turned up the heat and I was having a Corvette come hell or high water. 18 months ago I was looking at the car I have now (Yellow C5 with a 6spd), online for sale, but didn't bite. 6 months after it was still there, so I drove the 10 hours to go look at it. 2 weeks later I did the drive again and purchased it. It wasnt the C3 that I wanted, but I think I have got a lot more car for my money than I was looking for. It's been a year to the day since I made the purchase and 6,000 km and I am glad I did. The guy was very sad to see it go but I told him I would take care of it for a while.

Now, if the weather here would co-operate, so I can get out and enjoy it, that would be most helpful.:heavycar:

C3 corvettes when I was growing up hooked me. A neighbour near a friend of mine had one when we were growing up and we would walk slowly pass it every chance we got. Eventually, after a couple of Camaros, I could finally afford one, I spent 2 years searching across Canada for the right one. There were a couple I missed but when the one I have popped up in Mississauga, I used our credit card for a down payment and the dealership agreed to store it for me at no cost. Spent my time away at work and the office agreed to fly me to Toronto (instead of home) where I picked it up. 3 Days later I arrived home with the car.

Odd the only Corvette I had ever driven was a big block, I think 73. Always liked the cars but was not fanatical about them.

I was doing really well at work and one afternoon stopped into Courtesy Chev in Toronto. They kept the Corvettes in the basement. Saw the black Z06 and made the deal on the spot. Funny thing is that my health deteriorated badly right after this and had to leave work the next year. At one point the car just sat for over a year, just could not drive it.

Never regretted buying it, still love it and really enjoy driving it.

While being raised in YEG, I was 10 years old.
In my Bedroom, there IT is was :Woot:, framed by the aluminum sliding window on the wall.
On the other side of the window was our neighbor's Brand New Corvette Stingray, it was Silver.
From that day, I could not walk any other route to school than by this gem.
I would request a particular parking location so that the "framed picture" on my Bedroom wall would never change.
Then I finished Elementary School, then the Family was transferred to YYC,
then I graduated High School, then I went to College, then I graduated,
then I went for a second diploma and graduated, then I finally struck gold landing a Career Job in the epilogue of the PET era,
then I got married, then I bought a house, then I built another house with more bedrooms,
then I (we) were blessed with a child, then I reminisced about being 9 years old while driving around in a Pontiac Montana-vision Minivan (it was Silver),
then I developed as a Politician Parent all while continuing as a Husband,
then I started Elementary school all over again, then went thru each grade over again,
then I turned 54 and just after finishing grade 9 (which was my grade 10 quite some time ago)...
IT was RED (Long Beach Red) and I found new friends ... on this Forum ...
many who pretty much know the rest ... with much more still to come ... :joyful:

Last edited:
....at first sight.

First time I can remember noticing I would have been around 12. I can remember a 1971 Stingray. It was black. No idea of any other details, but I knew then that one day I would end up with a Corvette. I was mesmerized by that car. One day I am going to find and buy a 1971 black Stingray Roadster.

I believe I was about 8ish years old. I saw my first C3 chrome bumper sidepipe Vette and thought what is that rocketship? I started asking more questions and learned what that amazing machine really was. Everytime we would go for a ride anywhere I would search for Corvette's and count them as they were seen during outings. At that point I told myself that one day I was going to own a blue 68-72 Corvette.

Many vehicles and muscle cars were owned since, but no Corvette's in the garage yet. Fast forwarding to the age of 41, I decided to quit smoking, and as a reward I decided to finally treat myself with finding and purchasing the car of my childhood dreams. It was a numbers matching original 70 Bridgehampton Blue LS5 454 coupe. I found it on eBay in Arkansas, got a flight down, inspected it for hours, test drove it and finalized the deal with the seller. What an experience that was worth the wait! Had it sent home in an enclosed transport trailer, and have been having a blast doing a full nut and bolt restoration on it ever since.

I had decided to get fit and change my entire lifestyle at about age 44. I saw the first 2014 Laguna Blue C7 convertible with Carbon Flash stripes. Well, that day I felt like I was 8 years old again and totally fell in love with that car. I researched every last detail about the C7 for the next year. I thought that I had never purchased a new car in my life yet, and what better one to purchase. After much dealer searching, I finally received an allocation to order my C7. I ordered my 2015 Laguna Blue Z51 M7 convertible with Carbon Flash stripes and fully loaded with every detail I wanted, including my name on the console factory plaque with vin number. The delivery experience was again an amazing experience.

I have since met a new and wonderful group of friends through the CCF forum and Corvette comradery, and life has never been the same. Hard work, persistence and dedication has definately paid off. This is proof that dreams really can come true. Living the dream!!

Attachments

• 2017-09-02_09.41.49.jpg
    2017-09-02_09.41.49.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 31
  • 2017-09-16_21.51.48.jpg
    2017-09-16_21.51.48.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 36
I was big into building models when the Mid-Styles were out....
Loved those cars.. especially the customs of that age.
When I graduated(70) and got a job I got a ‘70 Chevelle, married not to long after.
A family and a new 442 and a house came along a few years later.
Later when we decided we needed a second car that is when I looked for a Corvette.
Found the ‘75 Coupe.
At first we used it Year-round, and even equipped it with snow tires for those winter months.
Eventually it became the Autocross car and garage Queen..
Still have it 37 years later parked next to it’s newer version, 03 vert.

Graham

We had family friends come and spend the weekend. He was a car guy, and they brought 12yr old me this book as a gift...and I was hooked.
20190526_222307.jpg

For 32 years, that book has moved with me 11 times, seen me in university, married, become a dad, start a career, and until last summer, was the closest I ever came to owning a Corvette.
There was always either not enough money, or something "more responsible" to do with it...or so I always managed to convince myself.
We lost my grandmother in 2017, and after doing all of the responsible things she would have expected with the estate, the C5 was a treat I know she would have approved of.

I fell for Corvettes back when I was 12 in 1974, while shopping for my next model to build I came across a C3 (Shark) and the love affair began. It wouldn't be until 2015 before I could afford one, after paying off college tuition for my 2 boys & I started to look for my dream car, a 1970 big block car. While I was looking I came across the car I now own & traveled to upstate New York to take a look and the rest is history.I still plan on getting that 70 big block car someday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.