VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
Welcome to GM’s new Patents & C8 CORVETTE AERODYNAMICS 101

Active Sideskirts
2019-c8-corvette-patents.jpg

The Active Side Skirt system uses sensors that can detect the rotating speed of the wheel and the speed of the vehicle relative to the road surface.

The three individual patents that General Motors secured detail specific functions that of each system, including, well, how they work. The first of these patents is the active side skirts. All of us know where side skirts are typically found — the car’s body side, usually running between the front and rear wheels, just below the doors — and that they help reduce drag. GM’s new Active Side Skirts, though, take the functionality to a new level. According to its patents, the Active Side Skirt system uses sensors that can detect the rotating speed of the wheel and the speed of the vehicle relative to the road surface. A controller is then programmed to...

Continue reading...

Reactions: ddgermann
Interesting............rear wing base moving forward and aft on the car........haven't seen anything like that. Typically the angle of the rear wing is adjusted to create more or less down force. I'd be interested to see/hear an explanation of how moving the wing itself forward and aft affects the car's stability etc. Or maybe I just interpreted the drawing incorrectly lol. I'm a lawyer, not an engineer ;)

Interesting............rear wing base moving forward and aft on the car........haven't seen anything like that. Typically the angle of the rear wing is adjusted to create more or less down force. I'd be interested to see/hear an explanation of how moving the wing itself forward and aft affects the car's stability etc. Or maybe I just interpreted the drawing incorrectly lol. I'm a lawyer, not an engineer ;)
I hear you. My son is a mech. engineer I'll have him have a look and see what he thinks. He was part of a team that built a race car every year at UBC.

Reactions: flyboy999
I hear you. My son is a mech. engineer I'll have him have a look and see what he thinks. He was part of a team that built a race car every year at UBC.
Yes, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts. I was also a commercial airline captain for 10 years down in the U.S. so I understand a thing or two about aerodynamics and center of pressure. Essentially, the center of pressure would be moved further forward, which it seems to me would result in it being placed more closely to the contact patch of the tire. But, at the same time, it seems to me that this would result in a loss of down force, since the "fulcrum effect" would be lost by shortening the arm of the distance between the force applied by the wing and the contact patch of the tire. I'm puzzled as to the advantage of this design............hmmmm....

PS: Hey JCWP I see you're in West Vancouver. I just held our 30th reunion for the grad class of '88 West Van High at my residence in Lions Bay. That's where I'm from, and where the Viper, S2000, STi, Aprilia are kept. Might be fun to meet at Caulfield Starbucks sometime? I'll be in Lions Bay Aug 25-Sept 8 with the fam. Shoot me a text at 306-240-8810 if you're interested. I'll bring the Viper :) Cheers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Yes, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts. I was also a commercial airline captain for 10 years down in the U.S. so I understand a thing or two about aerodynamics and center of pressure. Essentially, the center of pressure would be moved further forward, which it seems to me would result in it being placed more closely to the contact patch of the tire. But, at the same time, it seems to me that this would result in a loss of down force, since the "fulcrum effect" would be lost by shortening the arm of the distance between the force applied by the wing and the contact patch of the tire. I'm puzzled as to the advantage of this design............hmmmm....
Impressive: your explanation even makes sense to me somewhat. Perhaps the down force created by the air changes with the position of the spoiler? I get your point about the "fulcrum effect" - basic physics - application of force. Nice cars. They stopped making the viper - so, the value should increase. How do you decide which one to drive? My wife goes crazy when I buy a new car - she is not a car person. Enjoy your summer. I have a lot of first cousins in P.A. Sask. Your handle now makes sense - do you still fly?

Impressive: your explanation even makes sense to me somewhat. Perhaps the down force created by the air changes with the position of the spoiler? I get your point about the "fulcrum effect" - basic physics - application of force. Nice cars. They stopped making the viper - so, the value should increase. How do you decide which one to drive? My wife goes crazy when I buy a new car - she is not a car person. Enjoy your summer. I have a lot of first cousins in P.A. Sask. Your handle now makes sense - do you still fly?
Hahahaha my wife is awesome. Married 21 years and she knew what she was getting into LOL. I use the Vette in SK and drive it all winter long with studded Nokian Hakkappillita tires......it's brilliant. I keep the Viper in Lions Bay because unlike the Vette, it has no business being out in the winter. So the choice of which one to drive is pretty easy. I just drive to Edmonton in the Vette, hop on West Jet, and then hop into the Viper when I get out to the Bay. Yep, P.A. is a couple hours from here. I haven't flown since I started practicing law in 2010. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. It's the same old story........once you turn a hobby into a job it stops being fun. I've also been spoiled for aircraft operation....... It's kinda like driving a Z06/Viper/458 for years for a living, and then contemplating taking a Honda Civic out for some fun on the weekend......not so much. The only aircraft I'd be interested in would be a fast pressurized twin with full IFR and anti icing/de icing so I could fly my family anywhere in North America at the drop of a hat. That's big bucks, and is an even more foolish purchase than a Vette LOL!!! I leave the flyin' to the boys/girls up front now, sit back and relax, and read a magazine etc. ;) Oh, and you're right. The Viper is worth about $22K more than I paid for it.......unlike the Vette hahahaha.

Hahahaha my wife is awesome. Married 21 years and she knew what she was getting into LOL. I use the Vette in SK and drive it all winter long with studded Nokian Hakkappillita tires......it's brilliant. I keep the Viper in Lions Bay because unlike the Vette, it has no business being out in the winter. So the choice of which one to drive is pretty easy. I just drive to Edmonton in the Vette, hop on West Jet, and then hop into the Viper when I get out to the Bay. Yep, P.A. is a couple hours from here. I haven't flown since I started practicing law in 2010. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. It's the same old story........once you turn a hobby into a job it stops being fun. I've also been spoiled for aircraft operation....... It's kinda like driving a Z06/Viper/458 for years for a living, and then contemplating taking a Honda Civic out for some fun on the weekend......not so much. The only aircraft I'd be interested in would be a fast pressurized twin with full IFR and anti icing/de icing so I could fly my family anywhere in North America at the drop of a hat. That's big bucks, and is an even more foolish purchase than a Vette LOL!!! I leave the flyin' to the boys/girls up front now, sit back and relax, and read a magazine etc. ;) Oh, and you're right. The Viper is worth about $22K more than I paid for it.......unlike the Vette hahahaha.
Lions Bay - just up the road from me here in West Vancouver? I am thinking about the C8; but, once again, I don't drive a lot and my wife will give me guff for quite a while: I've been retired for quite a while and she still likes working - good thing I have access to my own (our) money - LOL. You know how it goes: her money is her money and my money is her money - I drive a late model SUV in the fall/winter. Cheers.

Welcome to GM’s new Patents & C8 CORVETTE AERODYNAMICS 101

Active Sideskirts
2019-c8-corvette-patents.jpg

The Active Side Skirt system uses sensors that can detect the rotating speed of the wheel and the speed of the vehicle relative to the road surface. 

The three individual patents that General Motors secured detail specific functions that of each system, including, well, how they work. The first of these patents is the active side skirts. All of us know where side skirts are typically found — the car’s body side, usually running between the front and rear wheels, just below the doors — and that they help reduce drag. GM’s new Active Side Skirts, though, take the functionality to a new level. According to its patents, the Active Side Skirt system uses sensors that can detect the rotating speed of the wheel and the speed of the vehicle relative to the road surface. A controller is then programmed to...

Continue reading...

Lions Bay - just up the road from me here in West Vancouver? I am thinking about the C8; but, once again, I don't drive a lot and my wife will give me guff for quite a while: I've been retired for quite a while and she still likes working - good thing I have access to my own (our) money - LOL. You know how it goes: her money is her money and my money is her money - I drive a late model SUV in the fall/winter. Cheers.
Yep, just up the road from you..... I grew up in Lions Bay and went to West Van High, Capilano College (as it then was), S.F.U. and then on to Dalhousie Law School..... The pic for my avatar was taken down at Carter GM at the auto mall in North Vancouver last summer when the Vette was in there for an oil change. We have a different system regarding finances: Her money is her money, and my money is my money, and I'll spend it on whatever the f##k I want ;) Pretty good system. I just show up with new toys and she likes to ride with me in them........no worries :) The STi is my winter car for Lions Bay, and the Vette, as I said is an incredibly capable car all year round here in Saskatchewan. I pass people in SUVs on solid snow/ice covered roads in it.....for real. We have a Toyota FJ Cruiser as a back up just in case ;)

Last edited:
Yep, just up the road from you..... I grew up in Lions Bay and went to West Van High, Capilano College (as it then was), S.F.U. and then on to Dalhousie Law School..... The pic for my avatar was taken down at Carter GM at the auto mall in North Vancouver last summer when the Vette was in there for an oil change. We have a different system regarding finances: Her money is her money, and my money is my money, and I'll spend it on whatever the f##k I want ;) Pretty good system. I just show up with new toys and she likes to ride with me in them........no worries :) The STi is my winter car for Lions Bay, and the Vette, as I said is an incredibly capable car all year round here in Saskatchewan. I pass people in SUVs on solid snow/ice covered roads in it.....for real. We have a Toyota FJ Cruiser as a back up just in case ;)
Ok. So why Sask. in the winter and LB in the summer? Maybe I will see you around in the red viper?

Ok. So why Sask. in the winter and LB in the summer? Maybe I will see you around in the red viper?
The LB home is our "cabin by the sea". It's a vacation residence. We are out there about every 6-8 weeks to "get away from it all." Yes, the hustle and bustle of Saskatchewan hahahahahaha...... You might see the Viper around. As far as I know it's the only Gen V Viper on the North Shore. There are only a handful of them in the entire lower mainland. It's my primary vehicle when I'm out there. I absolutely LOVE that car!!! Although my Vette is the fully loaded Z06 with 07 package, the Viper has the one thing it doesn't: it feels special. It's hard to describe, and don't get me wrong, the Vette is a far better all around sports car. In fact, the two aren't even in the same league. BUT, when you get behind the wheel of the Viper you are in a race car, not a sports car. It is raw, uncompromising, and given the choice between the two on the run from Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay I'll take the Viper every time. It'll kill the Z06. It's a far superior handling car. The Viper in "street mode" is like the Vette in "race mode", and the Viper in "race mode" is far beyond the Vette...... It is a locked down monster with much better handling and turn in etc..... Anyway, if you see an Adrenaline Red Viper running around........that's me ;)

The LB home is our "cabin by the sea". It's a vacation residence. We are out there about every 6-8 weeks to "get away from it all." Yes, the hustle and bustle of Saskatchewan hahahahahaha...... You might see the Viper around. As far as I know it's the only Gen V Viper on the North Shore. There are only a handful of them in the entire lower mainland. It's my primary vehicle when I'm out there. I absolutely LOVE that car!!! Although my Vette is the fully loaded Z06 with 07 package, the Viper has the one thing it doesn't: it feels special. It's hard to describe, and don't get me wrong, the Vette is a far better all around sports car. In fact, the two aren't even in the same league. BUT, when you get behind the wheel of the Viper you are in a race car, not a sports car. It is raw, uncompromising, and given the choice between the two on the run from Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay I'll take the Viper every time. It'll kill the Z06. It's a far superior handling car. The Viper in "street mode" is like the Vette in "race mode", and the Viper in "race mode" is far beyond the Vette...... It is a locked down monster with much better handling and turn in etc..... Anyway, if you see an Adrenaline Red Viper running around........that's me ;)
I have always loved the viper!!!! One passed me on the coquihalla hwy. and I was going 150: I was in the left lane following another C7 that was really going; so, I pulled out and put my foot down - looked in my RVM and saw a monster coming up on me - didn't know what it was until it passed me.

I was into Carter GM my local dealer here on the Northshore to get an oil change. While there I put my name on a list - 2nd person - for a C8 - he took a $500.00 deposit and completed a preliminary order form and will call me when I can order; so, we shall see what transpires. He thought the first engine would be a DOHC 5.something engine? I don't think he really knows? I want a vert as well which will determine whether I order as well as price difference between it and my C7.

I was into Carter GM my local dealer here on the Northshore to get an oil change. While there I put my name on a list - 2nd person - for a C8 - he took a $500.00 deposit and completed a preliminary order form and will call me when I can order; so, we shall see what transpires. He thought the first engine would be a DOHC 5.something engine? I don't think he really knows? I want a vert as well which will determine whether I order as well as price difference between it and my C7.
I'm surprised the deposit was so cheap!! That's a really good deal in terms of getting in line.

• Agree
I'm surprised the deposit was so cheap!! That's a really good deal in terms of getting in line.
Yeah, we shall see. I am a little pissed off about the ZR1 and the fact that if you don't order the major upgrade you can't get the performance pkg with MRC which I have had in every vette I've owned - was a separate option. A ZR1 at $170K+ = C8 if I like it, which based on what I have seen and read should be an awesome car! Have a great day. Are you here in B.C. in the smoke?

Yeah, I never like it when they try and make you pony up dough for stuff you don't want. They "package" items together..... Personally, I think waiting for the C8 is the smart thing to do at this stage in the game. I believe it is going to be unveiled within the next few months and will be available in the new year as a 2020 model. I also understand that the C7 is going to continue to be manufactured alongside, at least for the first few years of the C8 production, so it's not like you won't be able to get your hands on a new one if you want it.

I'll be in B.C. next Saturday, August 25th. I understand that there is a Carbs and Coffee event happening at the top of Cypress Mtn on Sunday, August 26th. It's put on by my friend and fellow West Van High graduate Geoff Peterson. I believe the event usually starts around 9:00 am and people hang around for a while..... My wife has said she'd like to go, so we'll take the Viper, and I'm sure my son will want to bring his WRX so we'll be there. If you don't have anything else to do you might want to check it out. I was at one earlier this summer at Seymour and it was a great turn out. Usually about 60+ cars......... You can check it out on Facebook.

Yeah, I never like it when they try and make you pony up dough for stuff you don't want. They "package" items together..... Personally, I think waiting for the C8 is the smart thing to do at this stage in the game. I believe it is going to be unveiled within the next few months and will be available in the new year as a 2020 model. I also understand that the C7 is going to continue to be manufactured alongside, at least for the first few years of the C8 production, so it's not like you won't be able to get your hands on a new one if you want it.

I'll be in B.C. next Saturday, August 25th. I understand that there is a Carbs and Coffee event happening at the top of Cypress Mtn on Sunday, August 26th. It's put on by my friend and fellow West Van High graduate Geoff Peterson. I believe the event usually starts around 9:00 am and people hang around for a while..... My wife has said she'd like to go, so we'll take the Viper, and I'm sure my son will want to bring his WRX so we'll be there. If you don't have anything else to do you might want to check it out. I was at one earlier this summer at Seymour and it was a great turn out. Usually about 60+ cars......... You can check it out on Facebook.
Great! Thank you! I will pop up if I can? I play tennis Sundays at 9:30 am; but, it looks like rain the night before - so, I may be able to run up the mountain? It would be great to meet you and other car nuts - LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread