You're 5
Jun 23, 2018
Golden BC
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Coupe
Province
BC
Got the catless X-pipe installed at Unlimited Performance, great service. Disappointed with the very minor increase in volume. I know it is subjective, hardly any difference from inside the car. I need to get someone to do a drive by with it so I can tell what it sounds like from outside! Another 1000.00 will get me front cat delete and a tune, was spoiled by the crazy loud sound of the 14. Not expecting the same out of this one as it is stock but.......

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
The Corsa does not have the exhaust valves. I think Borla has some models with the valves but there is also some feedback about drone with some of the Borlas.

Reactions: Dantanman
Do i lose NPP functionality? My goal is to keep it. My 14 was obnoxious loud until i closed the valves.
I have the long tube kooks headers and the cattless xpipe and the sound difference is insane. I have the valves so when I do go into tour mode they actually go real quite but in sport the volume jumps up to what I think is just perfect and definitely louder than stock and once in track it's on another level. At any autocross events I go to when I move up to the starting line everyone around now know to plug their ears lol. A tune is required and the O2 sensors need to be deleted. I cant speak on the power difference as I had added a magnuson supercharger with my setup. Overall I'm sitting 620rwhp and this same dyno guys with Z06's are getting 510 to 520 for a comparison. A guy with a hellcat only got 505 so dyno is pretty conservative.

The Corsa does not have the exhaust valves. I think Borla has some models with the valves but there is also some feedback about drone with some of the Borlas.
Think i will go ahead with front cat delete & tune, 1000.00 so 2200.00 all in with xpipe. Worse case scenario I can put them back on if i don't like it. Far cry from the the 60.00 i spent on Blue bottles for my 73 Camaro back in the day 😁

I have the long tube kooks headers and the cattless xpipe and the sound difference is insane. I have the valves so when I do go into tour mode they actually go real quite but in sport the volume jumps up to what I think is just perfect and definitely louder than stock and once in track it's on another level. At any autocross events I go to when I move up to the starting line everyone around now know to plug their ears lol. A tune is required and the O2 sensors need to be deleted. I cant speak on the power difference as I had added a magnuson supercharger with my setup. Overall I'm sitting 620rwhp and this same dyno guys with Z06's are getting 510 to 520 for a comparison. A guy with a hellcat only got 505 so dyno is pretty conservative.
That's what I had on my 14 and yes it made unsuspecting kids on the sidewalk cry.

I don't want to be rude, so please don't think that I am trying to be, but do you know what an X-pipe does? It changes the dynamic of the flow from two parallel pipes into an X which crosses the paths and leads into two pipes that go back to the mufflers. Yada yada and all that stuff, instead of each bank of cylinders creating their own sound of music (which is both beautiful and great for troubleshooting problems on a singe bank or head), the X-pipe literally connects both pipes and makes them cross over each other before going out the other end. Arguably, it might make for a neater sound (if you have unrestrictive exhaust), because the sound from both banks will come from both exhaust pipes at the same time. So instead of "blub-blub-blub-blub" from each bank independently, you hear a faster "bli-bli-bli-bli" from all the cylinders at the same time through both pipes.

I personally prefer the sound of true duals, where you are hearing each bank out of each pipe. It really is the way that it should be, and it sounds truly fascinating. I feel sorry for you young kids that grew up with Dolby digital surround. I knew what stereo was just by sitting behind a '67 Camaro. Anway, biases aside....

Quite simply, the exhaust out of a V-configuration engine can do a few things. Let's just assume a stock engine for the sake of this conversation. Benefits and consequences can be argued forever, so I'll try to stick to the basics and keep things simple. We all know that with a V engine, you have two banks of cylinders, thus two exhaust manifolds (or headers) to get the burnt crud out of your engine.

One is the basic 2-into-1 (Y-pipe) into a single pipe that goes back to the muffler, and can exit as single or dual exhaust, however you want it to look. This is common in most vehicles and can be very effective, but most Corvettes don't have it so I'm not going to get into it here.

Another is what is called "true dual" exhaust, where each exhaust manifold (or header) leads into a single pipe that goes all the way out the back. Cats and mufflers are optional, and they make a unique sound based on the cylinders that make them.

An "H-pipe" is a horizontal pipe (named for the shape it makes between the pipes, but the top is usually bigger than the bottom) of smaller diameter that is designed to catch some of the back-pressure gasses (because engines do that), and recirculate them through both pipes (the easiest path of least resistance).

An "X-pipe" is an equal (ish) literal crossover from left to right, and the back pressure can equalize over a larger length of pipe.

This is a very basic explanation of how exhaust works.

Now let's talk about the stuff that needs to be there for emissions and regulations, and all that crap.

Catalytic converters are a dome shape, and are designed to disrupt the blast of the exhaust from the engine and make it start to move in waves. This disrupts the sound and the airflow. Gasses are heavier than air, so they can't make the turn to get back into the pipe and supposedly get burned up in the cat. I call bullshit, but they are required by law in many provinces and states, so I guess you can't argue the law. If you have to have them, then make sure to get hi-flow units.

If you do have cats, they do reduce sound, for certain. Next is mufflers.

Mufflers are basically a box filled with sound-deadening material that the air comes into and has to leave out a different pipe. Again, please let me iterate that I am trying to keep this simple. Mufflers can be very different in design and can even have a straight exit. They don't have to be as I say, but this is the basic principle. Imagine a box where the pipe comes in through the top left and travels 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the box. The 'exit' pipe comes up through the bottom right and travels 3/4 of the way to the top of the box. Surround everything with insulation.

The real basic premise here is that your exhaust has to mosh-pit around a bunch of stuff to get out. Putting on an X-pipe is like enlarging a straw but only in the middle, and there is still a whoopie cushion at the end.

I apologize for the really long story, lol. You wanted a simpler answer, didn't you?

Longtubes. Yes! (Get it in, get it out! That is what power is about!)

I went over cats above, I can't advise you because it may be law in your province, so you decide for yourself.

Corsa Sport - Admittedly my favorite, but not what I have. Quiet but still louder than stock at cruise, and WTF just happened at WOT!

Corsa Extreme - Loud! Period. Love thy neighbor, because they will NOT love you!

Gears!

I mean, cheers!

Last edited:
I don't want to be rude, so please don't think that I am trying to be, but do you know what an X-pipe does? It changes the dynamic of the flow from two parallel pipes into an X which crosses the paths and leads into two pipes that go back to the mufflers. Yada yada and all that stuff, instead of each bank of cylinders creating their own sound of music (which is both beautiful and great for troubleshooting problems on a singe bank or head), the X-pipe literally connects both pipes and makes them cross over each other before going out the other end. Arguably, it might make for a neater sound (if you have unrestrictive exhaust), because the sound from both banks will come from both exhaust pipes at the same time. So instead of "blub-blub-blub-blub" from each bank independently, you hear a faster "bli-bli-bli-bli" from all the cylinders at the same time through both pipes.

I personally prefer the sound of true duals, where you are hearing each bank out of each pipe. It really is the way that it should be, and it sounds truly fascinating. I feel sorry for you young kids that grew up with Dolby digital surround. I knew what stereo was just by sitting behind a '67 Camaro. Anway, biases aside....

Quite simply, the exhaust out of a V-configuration engine can do a few things. Let's just assume a stock engine for the sake of this conversation. Benefits and consequences can be argued forever, so I'll try to stick to the basics and keep things simple. We all know that with a V engine, you have two banks of cylinders, thus two exhaust manifolds (or headers) to get the burnt crud out of your engine.

One is the basic 2-into-1 (Y-pipe) into a single pipe that goes back to the muffler, and can exit as single or dual exhaust, however you want it to look. This is common in most vehicles and can be very effective, but most Corvettes don't have it so I'm not going to get into it here.

Another is what is called "true dual" exhaust, where each exhaust manifold (or header) leads into a single pipe that goes all the way out the back. Cats and mufflers are optional, and they make a unique sound based on the cylinders that make them.

An "H-pipe" is a horizontal pipe (named for the shape it makes between the pipes, but the top is usually bigger than the bottom) of smaller diameter that is designed to catch some of the back-pressure gasses (because engines do that), and recirculate them through both pipes (the easiest path of least resistance).

An "X-pipe" is an equal (ish) literal crossover from left to right, and the back pressure can equalize over a larger length of pipe.

This is a very basic explanation of how exhaust works.

Now let's talk about the stuff that needs to be there for emissions and regulations, and all that crap.

Catalytic converters are a dome shape, and are designed to disrupt the blast of the exhaust from the engine and make it start to move in waves. This disrupts the sound and the airflow. Gasses are heavier than air, so they can't make the turn to get back into the pipe and supposedly get burned up in the cat. I call bullshit, but they are required by law in many provinces and states, so I guess you can't argue the law. If you have to have them, then make sure to get hi-flow units.

If you do have cats, they do reduce sound, for certain. Next is mufflers.

Mufflers are basically a box filled with sound-deadening material that the air comes into and has to leave out a different pipe. Again, please let me iterate that I am trying to keep this simple. Mufflers can be very different in design and can even have a straight exit. They don't have to be as I say, but this is the basic principle. Imagine a box where the pipe comes in through the top left and travels 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the box. The 'exit' pipe comes up through the bottom right and travels 3/4 of the way to the top of the box. Surround everything with insulation.

The real basic premise here is that your exhaust has to mosh-pit around a bunch of stuff to get out. Putting on an X-pipe is like enlarging a straw but only in the middle, and there is still a whoopie cushion at the end.

I apologize for the really long story, lol. You wanted a simpler answer, didn't you?

Longtubes. Yes! (Get it in, get it out! That is what power is about!)

I went over cats above, I can't advise you because it may be law in your province, so you decide for yourself.

Corsa Sport - Admittedly my favorite, but not what I have. Quiet but still louder than stock at cruise, and WTF just happened at WOT!

Corsa Extreme - Loud! Period. Love thy neighbor, because they will NOT love you!

Gears!

I mean, cheers!
Thanks, I appreciate the time you put into this. I am not a snowflake and rarely offended like we often see these days (on other sites of course, or should that be of corsa) I am far from being a technician of any sorts but have had the privilege of owning many hotrods over the years, from blown Hemi's to dual quad 502's and even the odd small block. I had electric exhaust cutouts on almost all of them, mostly for shows and the odd burnout. I did find out that a low hp engine sounds like total crap with cutouts. The C7 is of course a whole different animal. I was spoiled by the set up on my 14, supercharged, longtube headers, no cats, Lingenfelter heads & cam and NPP. Insane loud and 685 rwhp yet still reasonable at cruise with valves closed. I think longtubes are the way to go too, just have to have it invoiced creatively so "accounts payable/passenger" doesn't flag it :)

I would say go long tubes if you’re going to tune it anyway. You’ll get the loudness you’re looking for and decent gains. You’ll need to get corsa headers as they are compatible with your xpipe.

Longtubes are definitely worth it in terms of performance gains and sound, and helps to set you up for other mods down the road. I do need to make a bit of a correction here though, and that is that you do not have to get Corsa headers to go with your x-pipe. I've never actually even heard of Corsa headers, as far as I know they make pipes and mufflers, but not headers. I could be wrong, but regardless - Pipes are pipes and although you may need to extend or expand some pipes to get things to fit, you can choose any brand of headers that you wish. I use American Racing Headers, but Kooks are also highly recommended for their performance and more importantly, their fitment. If you have to hammer a dent into a header to get it to fit, you are kinda defeating the purpose.

I would also like to add that H-pipes and X-pipes are usually used in forced induction or nitrous cars where the back-pressure can cause unwanted restrictions, and is typically added after you have done other modifications first. I guess my point here is that adding one in will not do anything to change your volume unless you are removing the catalytic converters and replacing that section with an X-pipe.

Sorry for the long story in my previous post, that was unnecessary.

Reactions: grandsp69
Longtubes are definitely worth it in terms of performance gains and sound, and helps to set you up for other mods down the road. I do need to make a bit of a correction here though, and that is that you do not have to get Corsa headers to go with your x-pipe. I've never actually even heard of Corsa headers, as far as I know they make pipes and mufflers, but not headers. I could be wrong, but regardless - Pipes are pipes and although you may need to extend or expand some pipes to get things to fit, you can choose any brand of headers that you wish. I use American Racing Headers, but Kooks are also highly recommended for their performance and more importantly, their fitment. If you have to hammer a dent into a header to get it to fit, you are kinda defeating the purpose.

I would also like to add that H-pipes and X-pipes are usually used in forced induction or nitrous cars where the back-pressure can cause unwanted restrictions, and is typically added after you have done other modifications first. I guess my point here is that adding one in will not do anything to change your volume unless you are removing the catalytic converters and replacing that section with an X-pipe.

Sorry for the long story in my previous post, that was unnecessary.
Thanks. My Corsa xpipe did remove rear cats/resonators so i did get a little volume increase, just not enough. Corsa does make headers but yes my installer mentioned AHR, Kooks and Texas Speed will all work. No need to apologize for your long post, I'm a quick reader haha.

I will vouch for Texas Speed Parts too. I have TSP on my TA, and although they are a pain in the ass to install (on that car), they fit with minimal clearances, but they work great and I have had no issues besides ground clearance. Again, different car so not really a comparison.

How rowdy do you want the sound to be? A lot of us probably assume that you want to hear the power when you get on it, but don't really want to be obnoxious just cruising around. This is the goal of most people.

However, there are those who prefer to make a statement everywhere they go. I know there is a bunch of guys on here that would have to raise their hands if I asked if they have ever had blue bottles (or Thrush reds). Central Alberta is still full of 'em, except they are on pickups! lol.

This c6 Z51 with ARH 1-7/8" longtubes, no cats, and Corsa Extreme with the 4" tips belongs to some ahole I know. This video is shot in a Go-Pro type waterproof case with the back door open to catch the sound from behind the camera, so it is even louder than this. It does calm down on the overall racket after a couple of minutes, but it is nevertheless loud, and ALL of the time. To be fair, from the interior at highway speed, it is easy to have a conversation or listen to the radio, but it is always there.

I will vouch for Texas Speed Parts too. I have TSP on my TA, and although they are a pain in the ass to install (on that car), they fit with minimal clearances, but they work great and I have had no issues besides ground clearance. Again, different car so not really a comparison.

How rowdy do you want the sound to be? A lot of us probably assume that you want to hear the power when you get on it, but don't really want to be obnoxious just cruising around. This is the goal of most people.

However, there are those who prefer to make a statement everywhere they go. I know there is a bunch of guys on here that would have to raise their hands if I asked if they have ever had blue bottles (or Thrush reds). Central Alberta is still full of 'em, except they are on pickups! lol.

This c6 Z51 with ARH 1-7/8" longtubes, no cats, and Corsa Extreme with the 4" tips belongs to some ahole I know. This video is shot in a Go-Pro type waterproof case with the back door open to catch the sound from behind the camera, so it is even louder than this. It does calm down on the overall racket after a couple of minutes, but it is nevertheless loud, and ALL of the time. To be fair, from the interior at highway speed, it is easy to have a conversation or listen to the radio, but it is always there.

That sounds mean!! Yes i want "WTF was that?" when i drive by with my foot in it and just a nice, "look at that ahole in the Corvette" rumble when i pass them on the highway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.