This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cooler Thermostat

CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Anyone know the ups and downs of a cooler thermostat on our C6's?

On the surface it seems logical to cool things down somewhat for obvious (performance) reasons but what is the downside to a cool running engine?

Emissions must come into play here but what about plug fouling and SES lights that may be encountered?

I believe the stock t/stat on my C6 is around 200F and it's been discussed that a 160F can be installed.

I'm thinking that a compromise 175F would be the answer to not upset the computers, still reasonably satisfy the pollution requirements, and still get the benefits of good performance of a cooler running engine.

Thoughts.

C.

I use a 160 on all our header installs , this will include yours Colin

You need the 180 for emissions, and don't forget horsepower is related to heat. For that reason most guys go with the 175. Personally I've always gone with 160 because I don't race my car and like the way it drives a little cooler.

You need the 180 for emissions, and don't forget horsepower is related to heat. For that reason most guys go with the 175. Personally I've always gone with 160 because I don't race my car and like the way it drives a little cooler.

True , but our 160 stat cars are passing emissions easily . Its really in the tune .

Users who are viewing this thread