The majority of people that I've been dealing with on Kijiji and Facebook marketplace when I'm selling stuff are f-ing idiots.

Case in point: earlier today (4:30pm) got a person message me about a car part I am selling, wants to pick it up today so we arrange to meet at a nearby plaza to me @ 7pm (he chose the time). I get there @ 6:55pm and message person that I am here I get a reply back right before the agreed time of 7pm that he/she can't show up till 8pm. Like really, you just found out now you can't be there for 7pm when you specified that time to meet back at 4:30???? Like WTF!!!! Now I'm back home and we'll see if I will go back there for 8pm.

This item could have been sold several times over with previous people inquiring about it, then hear nothing or will get back to me and never do.

Previous items I had FS were also like this, seems to be getting worse since Covid (have to admit wasn't too bad pre Covid as most transactions I had on Kijiji went well). Like basically you first inquired about something FS, at least be courteous and not be a total knob when going through the process of purchasing (or you are just an A-hole and reach out to sellers with no intention of purchasing and wasting both of our times????)

F***ers!!!!!! :angry-argh:

Last edited:
He did text back and showed up at the meeting place so item got sold but still feel like pulling teeth, not going to get into the details of the meet up but something that should take 5 mins to do on his end ended up being something like 20-25mins to get the cash to me and him the goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
The majority of people that I've been dealing with on Kijiji and Facebook marketplace when I'm selling stuff are f-ing idiots.

Case in point: earlier today (4:30pm) got a person message me about a car part I am selling, wants to pick it up today so we arrange to meet at a nearby plaza to me @ 7pm. I get there @ 6:55pm and message person that I am here I get a reply back right before the agreed time of 7pm that he/she can't show up till 8pm. Like really, you just found out now you can't be there for 7pm when you specified that time to meet back at 4:30???? Like WTF!!!! Now I'm back home and we'll see if I will go back there for 8pm.

This item could have been sold several times over with previous people inquiring about it, then hear nothing or will get back to me and never do.

Previous items I had FS were also like this, seems to be getting worse since Covid. Like basically you first inquired about something FS, at least be courteous and not be a total knob when going through the process of purchasing (or you are just an A-hole and reach out to sellers with no intention of purchasing and wasting both of our times????)

Lol.... get use to it using marketplace and often Kijiji. I sell antiques on line and that is commonplace for me on both those sites. You get use to it. When I have to go out of my way anymore for someone who is not a regular customer, I insist on an etransfer deposit and if they don't like that, then it's a CYA....

Case in point: earlier today (4:30pm) got a person message me about a car part I am selling, wants to pick it up today so we arrange to meet at a nearby plaza to me @ 7pm. I get there @ 6:55pm and message person that I am here I get a reply back right before the agreed time of 7pm that he/she can't show up till 8pm. Like really, you just found out now you can't be there for 7pm when you specified that time to meet back at 4:30???? Like WTF!!!! Now I'm back home and we'll see if I will go back there for 8pm.

Previous items I had FS were also like this, seems to be getting worse since Covid. Like basically you first inquired about something FS, at least be courteous and not be a total knob when going through the process of purchasing (or you are just an A-hole and reach out to sellers with no intention of purchasing and wasting both of our times????)

After having been burnt a couple of times, I won't bother to meet anyone unless they pay for the item first or give a deposit. Otherwise they can pick it up at my house and then if they don't show up (which also happens...) I won't have wasted the time & gas to meet a phantom.

^^^^^I got a good story on that one which I'll hash out here later in the day................

edit: story...................some 18-19 year old kid inquired about 2 PS4S tires I had FS for his BMW (1.5 year old tires so fairly new and still like new tread depth around Oct. 2021). They were still mounted at the time on my Forgeline wheels. I had them listed for $600/pair and mentioned I wanted a deposit before I dismount. Kid didn't want to give me a deposit at first but I insisted before I make the trek to the tire place I go to now (in Vaughan). Turns out the kid lives in that area so he etransfer me $50 for me to go there the next day and we would meet there. No discussion on my price for the tires and stuff so cool I'm getting the $600 I want for the 2 tires.

So we meet there the next day and my mistake was I didn't ask for the remaining amount before I started getting the tires dismounted, he checks the tires................all good so on the machine it goes. After they were dismounted he then tried to see if he could just pay me $500 for the tires. I said no way there was no discussion on price the day before so I told him it's $600 for them so I want $550 not $500, he keeps trying and now I'm getting annoyed and after a lot of back and forth I finally told him basically..............."Listen, the price is $600 so I want the $550 you owe me or get into your Shitbox Bimmer and F off!!!! Tires are going home with me and thanks for the $50 (although I would've been pissed to have to bring everything back home) or something like that".

So after a bit of silence he reaches into his pocket and pulls out some cash and hands it to me, the 2 tires are laying flat on the ground and I place each of my feet inside the donut hole of each tire and start counting out the cash.....................$550. I step out from the tire hole and say "thank you" in a really sarcastic voice, he loads up the tires in the BM and leaves so there's my other F-ing loser Kijiji story (there's lots of others).

On the other side of this story I also decided to dismount the rear PS4S tires (325/30/19) while I was there. The next day get a message about the rears from a guy needing them for his Camaro. We meet at my house (1 of the last times I agreed to meet someone at my house when I'm selling stuff, don't do that anymore). He shows up the next day right on time, sees the tires and pays me my listed price for the 2 rears no questions asked and no BS so those people are still out there. Simple, easy...................the way it should be.

Last edited:
After having been burnt a couple of times, I won't bother to meet anyone unless they pay for the item first or give a deposit. Otherwise they can pick it up at my house and then if they don't show up (which also happens...) I won't have wasted the time & gas to meet a phantom.
I gave up selling things because all buyers are ass holes. Thank God I don't have to sell my guitar collection to eat, but selling guitars is the worst.

^^^^agreed^^^^^ I did meet people at my home up until the end of last year, not that I ever had an issue but now not really in the mood to have someone know where I live and what I have so all my ads now list the address to the plaza I now meet people at.

Still sometimes a bit of a PITA, sometimes you just don't want to make the trek to sell something and easier to have someone come to you instead.

Meet at a nearby mall (busier the better), confirm that the person is on the way before you start trekking over there or let them message you that he/she's there before you leave if the mall is close to your home.

Always have someone with you (friend, spouse or other family member(s)) cause in most cases I'm sure the other party will have someone with them. Of course there is the chance that potential buyer will text/message saying they are there or on the way and still not even show up so in that case they really are F-ing A-holes with a capital F and A but there is always that risk/reward thing with human nature.

The test drive thing now is another story, I would drive the car only and only with the potential buyer riding shotgun, if you get good vibes with the buyer then I might let them drive it but I would keep the fob with me or be ready to get the key from the ignition if things start going south.

Back in late 2016 I did sell my used Nissan Sentra at my house, guy shows up with 2 other friends of his and I let him take the car for a test drive with him driving, me in the pass. seat and 2 buddies in the back seat. No problems and guy bought the car on the spot but obviously in these times that would not be happening now at all.

Tony

I gave up selling things because all buyers are ass holes. Thank God I don't have to sell my guitar collection to eat, but selling guitars is the worst.
I have never sold any of my guitars but as I get older and have no family to pass them down to, I am starting to consider thinning out some of my collection. Not looking forward to the hassle.... lol...

I have zero issues buying and selling on Kijiji.
When crap is listed for free - the bad sellers take more advantage than bad buyers do.
Have dealt with more shitty sellers than I have terrible buyers.
Selling takes "reasonable integrity", "people skill" and "thick skin". Buying takes no skill at all, try to get best price, take it or leave it.
I am up&up with listings with great pricing and max photos and don’t go out of my way when selling my “awesome crap”.
I will drive wherever I have to when buying … but everything is negotiated before the trip.
If a seller will not finalize all details up front or does not have the item ready to go, I cease from pursuing the purchase.
There are so many seller false claims on items, especially if there are not enough photos of the actual item.
I never sell or buy if the other party has any crazy conditions. I would do things differently if I lived rural though … as there is not enough “traffic” nearby.
When buying and selling, I really hate any marketplace where 3rd parties can chime in on a sales that has nothing to do with them and no business of their own.
I have had many garage sales and love negotiating an item priced at $4 or $5 and getting $2 or $3 as it all adds up without my junk hitting the trash can.

Got a fella coming from Red Deer tomorrow to buy something I have on Kijiji … no big deal … I have 2 other buyers waiting in-line if this buyer does not follow through.

Last edited:
Sadly had to sell my awesome Boat. Boat lift sold on Kijiji in less than 6 hours for asking price - had 2 other buyers lined-up in case.
I choose consignment for the Boat at my Marine Dealership and stated my bottom dollar on the agreement.
I ended up getting 2k more from a sale in 10 days.
I don't care that the deal involved 17% for gst and consignment to the buyer. I got my part - that's all that mattes.
I know I would not have got 17% over asking price and the boat would still be listed today.
I am really going to miss this ☹️

9C6713D2-1031-4E53-8EEC-32F1C916CB62.jpeg

I get to put my boat tow-ables up for sale on kijiji as they were not part of the boat sale.

I too have a Gibson and a Fender that I should be liquidating/selling.
Just have to determine my bottom dollar and list them ... take it or leave it pricing to eliminate buyer BS.
Then just put up the "Guard Dogs On Duty" signs for pick up day.
At least you don't need signs @Rruuff Day :thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.