Regular
May 15, 2016
Lloydminster, SK.
VetteCoins
Car
1999 Magnetic Red C5
Province
SK
Ok so the last couple of days when I start my car up the clutch sticks about half way down to the floor. I can still put it in gear but then it jumps as soon as I try to even let the clutch out at all. I waited a couple minutes while it warmed up, and used the top of my foot to get the clutch to pop back out, and it's good again.
Yesterday when it happened I kept draining the fluid and adding until it was almost not black anymore(2 bottles later), and it seemed better, but did it again this morning.
Am I looking at a new clutch, or air in the system, or something else? Also if it is the clutch, what would the cost be approx to get it replaced?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Oh yuck. Clutch issues. I change my clutch fluid every year as our cars are notorious for sticking pedals, etc. Mine gets really soft after a hard acceleration, but then comes back. Whenever I need to change mine, I'm going to budget about $2,500.

Ya, I watched that episode of Wheeler Dealers where they had to swap out a clutch. A huge job that entails dropping the rear suspension and pulling back the diff/trans to get access.

Have you checked the clutch spring located at the top of the clutch pedal. I replaced mine when I replaced my clutch last year. It cost me $2500. to replace it.😬

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and yeah I did check the spring and it appears to be fine. And $2500o_O..... Oh boy, after spending a pretty good chunk on suspension, alternator, etc. this year It's gonna have to wait until next year if needs replacing!:mad:
Again Thanks for the feed back guys, I do appreciate it.:Cheers2:

I had to have mine done almost 2 years ago. It was around $2600. at the dealership. They have to drop the whole back end of the car
P_20161013_093844.jpg

P_20161013_093851.jpg

Reactions: Hotrodron
besides possibly replacing the torque tube as well, anything else while it's all out?

Good idea replacing the torque tube bushings, I didn't know to replace them until after I had the clutch done. I wish I also would have installed the throw out bearing with the bleeder, to make changing the fluid easier. Hope your clutch holds out for you till next year 👍

Reactions: Dub
Sorry for the sideways pics....I saved them properly but they attached like this. Anyway, I have continually changed out the fluid in my C5, and changed it over to DOT 4, but I was blown away by how black the fluid was, and the second picture is after doing the whole "drain-fill-drive 15 minutes" about 10 times.
Unfortunately it only made a slight improvement on the clutch operation and my pedal still occasionally sticks half way to the floor, but only on the initial start up. After pumping/using a few times it's great for the remainder of the day, but the next morning......same thing.
The car just turned 100,000 miles(160,000kms) so I'm thinking it's probably about time to replace the clutch anyway.
***No comments on the brake fluid reservoir fluid......I bled them after the pic and it's the same color as the clutch fluid now. Lol***

DOT 3 from Clutch.jpg
After Flushing.jpg

My clutch got stuck halfway this morning, it's the first time it's ever happened. My fluid is clean, & the clutch is new. It happened while I was driving.I had to pull over & pull it back with my hand, & it didn't happen again. The pedal did seem to be a bit softer & the shifts seemed smoother. I was getting on it, before it happened, anyone else ever experience this?

My clutch got stuck halfway this morning, it's the first time it's ever happened. My fluid is clean, & the clutch is new. It happened while I was driving.I had to pull over & pull it back with my hand, & it didn't happen again. The pedal did seem to be a bit softer & the shifts seemed smoother. I was getting on it, before it happened, anyone else ever experience this?

Looks like a slave cylinder problem, if they are like the C6, they have a plastic bushing that can be replace by one made of aluminium, and if you have to replace the slave and cluch, might as well install a remote bleeder so you can do a good flush of the system.

Good luck

Stephane

• Useful
Reactions: Dub and ddgermann
Looks like a slave cylinder problem, if they are like the C6, they have a plastic bushing that can be replace by one made of aluminium, and if you have to replace the slave and cluch, might as well install a remote bleeder so you can do a good flush of the system.

Good luck

Stephane

Thanks for the reply Stephane but, the clutch was replaced last year along with a new flywheel &, a new slave cylinder, & it only has about 1500 miles on it. I also change the fluid regularly, which is why I'm puzzled.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Stephane but, the clutch was replaced last year along with a new flywheel &, a new slave cylinder, & it only has about 1500 miles on it. I also change the fluid regularly, which is why I'm puzzled.

Ron

Ron, did you replace the clutch pedal return spring or check it out at all? That was the first thing I checked on mine, and although I didn't think replacement was necessary I have ordered the spring kit in hopes it will help but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a new clutch in the fall.
Also I keep trying that pump the clutch 30 times in and out, and then changing out fluid and repeating(which is what I did to clean/flush the fluid), but I noticed after doing it I had some very dirty fluid on the garage floor under the car, so did I blow a seal by doing the pumping thing?

Ron, did you replace the clutch pedal return spring or check it out at all? That was the first thing I checked on mine, and although I didn't think replacement was necessary I have ordered the spring kit in hopes it will help but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a new clutch in the fall.
Also I keep trying that pump the clutch 30 times in and out, and then changing out fluid and repeating(which is what I did to clean/flush the fluid), but I noticed after doing it I had some very dirty fluid on the garage floor under the car, so did I blow a seal by doing the pumping thing?

Sorry Dub I couldn't tell you what caused the fluid on the floor but, I've done that flush routine twice now and never noticed any fluid on the floor as a result. Hopefully it was just that you didn't have the cap screwed on tight enough & the pressure from pumping caused it to overflow.I'd keep a close eye on the fluid level though.I did put a brand new OEM spring on when I did the clutch.I took the car out for a couple of hours yesterday and it ran fine, so maybe it was just a fluke.

Reactions: ddgermann and Dub

Unless you spilled something, there should not be any fluid on the floor, if it is brake fluid from the clutch, it can probably be the slave or the hose, you will have to determine what fluid it is first. Take care, brake fluid is a very good paint stripper, keep the garden hose near you.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Well the fluid is consistently low, and after driving it I have to add a small amount of fluid.

I'll be putting it up on ramps and stands tonight to get a better look. If the slave is leaking, what is involved in the repair? Can I do this?

• Sad
Reactions: Hotrodron
Well the fluid is consistently low, and after driving it I have to add a small amount of fluid.

I'll be putting it up on ramps and stands tonight to get a better look. If the slave is leaking, what is involved in the repair? Can I do this?

It's a big job, you have to drop the exhaust, and the rear cradle. Unless you're mechanical inclined & have access to a lift, I wouldn't attempt it. It took the dealership 2 days to do mine. Good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.