Jun 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1985 Corvette
The distance between my clutch pedal and brake pedal seems to be less than an inch. Has anyone ever tried to make this distance greater? I've seen on "motor trend" that a mechanic heated the vertical of the pedal up and bent it away from the other when it was hot enough to do so. Is this recommended on a C4 1985? This was done on a Sunbeam Tiger on the show Phantom Works.

I'm guessing you are talking about the edge of the pads separation and not the arms. If it has the stock pads on it, an aftermarket smaller foot pad on each would give you more foot separation.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Clearance on my car is 2 inches between the clutch pad and the brake pad. As far as I know its original lever pads. Check with Corvette Central or another supplier. Replacement lever pads are readily available.

Nice turquoise car. Thank you for the measurement. My pedals are closer than 2 in.
I am thinking of heating the lever up and bending the pedal away from the other.
It looked so easy on the show, Fantom works.
the old vettes have nice big pedals that are a good distance apart.
Mine are ridiculously close
It would be nice if there was an adjustment of sorts.

Perhaps check the pad sizes first, if they are larger than original, it would not take much to reduce a 2" Space. (the pads in mine measure 2" across the top edge and 1-3/4" across the bottom.)
I have never had a problem driving. If you need to remove the lever to heat it to bend it, which seems to me to be a last resort, you'll need to get under the dash. I have found the best way to access under the dash is to completely remove the drivers seat and plastic bucket. The steel frame can remain, just get a piece of heavy cardboard to lay over the frame. Then you can actually sit in
it and rotate so your feet rest inside the back hatch area, with your back resting on the cardboard, you can be very low and easily get under the dash to work. I know it sounds crazy but the seat removal only takes about 5 minutes.
Look for something simple first, good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread