You're 5
Jun 19, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
02 Black Z06
2002 C5 Z06
48,000km
Bone Stock
This morning I was driving to work and started noticing a clunk sound coming from the front right corner of my car. Every time I hit a bump (which is often in Saskatoon) I would hear a sound like something was loose in the front suspension. Driving wise nothing feels loose at all so I'm not sure what the problem could be, or if there even is a problem. It was a chilly 1 degree this morning on the drive in so maybe the components are cold and creaky? I hope that is the case, but has anyone experienced problems with the front suspension on a C5 that started with a warning noise like this?
I apologize for the vague description, seems like you can't see anything on this car without at least taking the wheels off.

2002 C5 Z06
48,000km
Bone Stock
This morning I was driving to work and started noticing a clunk sound coming from the front right corner of my car. Every time I hit a bump (which is often in Saskatoon) I would hear a sound like something was loose in the front suspension. Driving wise nothing feels loose at all so I'm not sure what the problem could be, or if there even is a problem. It was a chilly 1 degree this morning on the drive in so maybe the components are cold and creaky? I hope that is the case, but has anyone experienced problems with the front suspension on a C5 that started with a warning noise like this?
I apologize for the vague description, seems like you can't see anything on this car without at least taking the wheels off.

You can check sway bar endlinks and brackets visually if they're loose or broken, that would be my first go to place. Then move to other suspension components.

Wish I could offer some advice to you as to what it could be. I believe like Nik and Riley have said it could be a sway bar link or bushing. Maybe jack the car up secure it with jack stands blocks of wood what ever you have and see if you can find a loose component. I am willing to bet you will find it. Maybe something binding, you might be able to jack the suspension bits up and down to see if you can replicate it. I have the manual for the 2003 if I can copy anything just let me know.

Just be safe. Good luck.

Yup its the end links...My front end was like that ..I just replaced mine last weekend myself..Pretty easy job...Clattering is gone...nice and quiet again..Change all 4 while your at it as I did. Just jack up the front end taking the load off both front tires as this will make it easier to remove the end links and remove the tires easier access. The rears you dont have to remove the tires, just jack up the rear end taking the load off both tires. C5 and C6 use the same new part number from GM 97-2013. There are new and improved links they put on the 2013 `s to get rid of that clattering noise....the old links have a torx head...use torx to hold the shaft in place while using an 18mm open end wrench to loosen the nut. the new end links have a 10mm hex instead of torx---use a socket to hold it still while using the 18mm again to tighten.

Here is the new and improved part number...get these: GM20822934

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2935494-stupid-metal-end-links-2.html

Reactions: nascar03 and CCO
Yup its the end links...My front end was like that ..I just replaced mine last weekend myself..Pretty easy job...Clattering is gone...nice and quiet again..Change all 4 while your at it as I did. Just jack up the front end taking the load off both front tires as this will make it easier to remove the end links and remove the tires easier access. The rears you dont have to remove the tires, just jack up the rear end taking the load off both tires. C5 and C6 use the same new part number from GM 97-2013. There are new and improved links they put on the 2013 `s to get rid of that clattering noise....the old links have a torx head...use torx to hold the shaft in place while using an 18mm open end wrench to loosen the nut. the new end links have a 10mm hex instead of torx---use a socket to hold it still while using the 18mm again to tighten.

Here is the new and improved part number...get these: GM20822934

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2935494-stupid-metal-end-links-2.html
Excellent info there, lionel -- thanks for the input --very helpful.
C.

Users who are viewing this thread