charliebates

Casual User
You're 5
Mar 20, 2015
Red Deer
VetteCoins
Car
82 Berlina Coupe SE
I installed the Semi-coilover front suspension and resulted in a clunk usually after lifting the car and allowing the front suspension to drop.
After dropping the car onto the suspension I would get a noticeable clunk the first good turn of the wheel.
I thought it was the semi coil over spring settling back in the frame spring pocket.
I just changed from 400 lb to 350 lb springs and in the process I found the top of the adjustable shock was hitting on the frame at the hole where the normal shock would go. And the cause of the clunk.
E5B4911E-4F86-43AF-B855-B07D49FC4CBD.png
To leave as is would have ruined the adjustable shock.
The QA1 style shock is larger in diameter and was hitting and rubbing on normal sized shock hole through the frame.
I had to install the shock w/o the spring and mark. Then remove and oversized the hole on one side by 1-4”. It’s a tough spot, I drill cut and then use a drum shaped grinder to smooth up.
Take not

If your using the Speed Direct Semi Coil over front suspension on your C3 I found a lighter than 400 pound coil spring to fit. Their lightest spring is 400 pounds, 5 inch O.D. and 8 inches high and nothing available to go lighter.
I had to learn the math and do the calculations and found the Eibach 9-1/2" high x 5 inch O.D. x 350 pounds fits perfect and even though it 1-1/2 longer, the ride height is right on for adjusting. Part number is 0950.500.0350
I'm actually going lighter to the 300 pound coil spring so if anyone needs the 400 or 350 pound springs I have them for sale at a very reasonable price. My loss is your gain.

Please take note, in the earlier post I mentioned its a QA1 coil over and that's not right. It's the Speed Direct Semi Coil over. Thx

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread