Feb 19, 2020
Sydney ns
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Corvette coupe
Province
NS
Hey everyone this is my first time posting on corvette forms i must say this platform is just amazing!! thanks to everyone for all the great info. That being said I am wondering if anyone would know what color wire on the back side of the clock spring would be a ignition hot wire? i have a new carbon wheel and it has a led screen with shift lights which requires a hot wire to activate it. any info would be great!!
thanks and i hope everyone is staying safe!

Hey everyone this is my first time posting on corvette forms i must say this platform is just amazing!! thanks to everyone for all the great info. That being said I am wondering if anyone would know what color wire on the back side of the clock spring would be a ignition hot wire? i have a new carbon wheel and it has a led screen with shift lights which requires a hot wire to activate it. any info would be great!!
thanks and i hope everyone is staying safe!
I have a 2003 AE. I took the stock steering wheel off and the clockspring to put on a removable Momo wheel, NASCAR style. The back side of the clock spring has a black wire-ground, and a red wire with a white tracer - power wire. I put a 2 ohm resistor between them to keep the air bag alarm away. If you use the power for your wheel, not sure how you kill the air bag alarm. Let me know how it works out. I am assuming you will no longer have an air bag either. Must be leaving the clock spring in.

Bic

Thanks for the info i am leaving the clock spring in place the wheel is a oem wheel made into c/f wich reatains the factory air bag. Im just looking for the wire color to tap into to provide power to the wheel that when the car is turned off the display on the wheel also turns off.

Thanks for the info i am leaving the clock spring in place the wheel is a oem wheel made into c/f wich reatains the factory air bag. Im just looking for the wire color to tap into to provide power to the wheel that when the car is turned off the display on the wheel also turns off.
I would not screw around with the air bag power if you are still going to have an air bag. They tell you to disconnect the battery for half an hour before disconnecting air bag power wires and connect them again before connecting the battery. It’s just my opinion, but I would leave the air bag circuit alone. There are lots of other power wires that turn off with the key in any car.

i usually disconnect the airbag wiring at least the evening before pulling them just incase.
the reason i am asking this is because it is the manufacturer of the wheels recommendations to tap into a power source at the rear of the clock spring.. i was thinking of just running a wire to a different source instead but figured i would pick some brains first
thanks

• Agree
Reactions: hemicat
i usually disconnect the airbag wiring at least the evening before pulling them just incase.
the reason i am asking this is because it is the manufacturer of the wheels recommendations to tap into a power source at the rear of the clock spring.. i was thinking of just running a wire to a different source instead but figured i would pick some brains first
thanks
I would look elsewhere if it was me. There's always the fuse panel in the passenger footwell. Just my opinion. Everybody has one. Good luck.

Reactions: ddgermann
socal garage works i dont have a pic of my actual wheel as mine is the c5 4 spoke wheel being made but i can show u how there c6 wheels come out
Screenshot_20200210-133536_Samsung Internet.jpg
20200209_103224.jpg

thats an option but i choose to buy the wheel from them.it was an extra 89$ for them to supply the wheel...i figured id keep my wheel as a just incase lol
Yes, I agree, hanging on to the original wheel is a good idea. When you are finished with your project, please post a pic.

Thanks

very nice wheels for sure they do great work check out there website also the wheel comes with a wireless obd2 reader that connects to the wheel via bluetooth so the led screen in the center can be set to any gauge you like.. lap times... clear codes.. etc and the rpm and shift lights on each side can also be set to min rpm to start lighting them to shift rpm where it all flashed red.

ok i had a brain storm but im not sure if im correct or not ....
the clock spring has the wires and the horn going through it does it not ? if so would i be able to cut the horn wire down in the colum... run it to a switched hot and then use the horn wire in the wheel as a positive feed for the new steering wheel electrical

Reactions: Riley P
ok i had a brain storm but im not sure if im correct or not ....
the clock spring has the wires and the horn going through it does it not ? if so would i be able to cut the horn wire down in the colum... run it to a switched hot and then use the horn wire in the wheel as a positive feed for the new steering wheel electrical
I had to go get my box of parts out of the container to remind myself what I did last year. The air bag wires are green and white. They are the only wires in the clock spring. The horn wires are red and black and go through a round hole beside the steering column hole in the clock spring. It’s a strange long push and turn connector with a spring in it like a lot of horn wires. The air bag assembly picture shows the horn wires in the bottom left corner on the air bag assembly. The clock spring picture shows the green and white wires, the round hole beside the steering column hole and the yellow connector that plugs into the air bag.

You should be able to use horn power for your steering wheel no problem. Good idea.

Attachments

• 0946E888-E867-4B4F-B205-A6D221B065FA.jpeg
    0946E888-E867-4B4F-B205-A6D221B065FA.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 17
  • B4677837-C651-4070-8A67-0C4DE34587AA.jpeg
    B4677837-C651-4070-8A67-0C4DE34587AA.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 19
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.