Jun 30, 2018
Dollard des Ormeaux, PQ
VetteCoins
Car
1986 Corvette
Province
QC
1986 Corvette. When I start it up in the morning, all runs well, but I have a clicking noise coming from over my shoulder on the right side of the car. this rapid clicking noise rises and falls with the RPM's of the engine, eventually disappearing after a couple of blocks. Could this be the fuel pump? Is this normal or is something on the way out? It does not affect the performance of the car at all.

noise coming from over your shoulder, hmmmm , that is kinda hard to diagnose. If it was coming from under the hood, could be a valve lifter in the engine. Fuel pump should be in the tank and it would not do that. My uneducated guess would be that there may be a exhaust leak somewhere and on cold start up it could make a sound like that and as the pipes warm up they expand and the leak could kinda seal up and thus get quiet.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I just read somewhere that the '87 Vettes were equipped with a redesigned fuel filter, sort of a secondary filter mounted just above the usual one, and that this is utilized to bleed off excess pressure, sort of a bypass, which eliminates the clicking noise of the earlier design, sort of like having air trapped in your plumbing, causing the pipes to bang. Noticed this noise is more prominent when I don't use the car for a few days.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.