It sounds fine idling but when I rev it, a loud pop or click comes from the motor. It sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side. I tried replacing the header gasket but that didn’t help

Just a suggestion tygary but....

Usually we get a "Hi.... I'm a new member from Fort Smith, Arkansas and have a 19?? C3. It has a ?? motor, stock except for ????... and it started making this funny noise....

The members here will appreciate a bit of an intro first...

It sounds fine idling but when I rev it, a loud pop or click comes from the motor. It sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side. I tried replacing the header gasket but that didn’t help

Trade it for a new one.
No clue what car you are even talking about.
This has to be the worst introduction I’ve seen here. 😂
As above give us a bit more to work with man. Plenty of good help here if you need it.
D

I apologize for for the lack of info. Was frustrated as the time and was trying to figure the problem out. I’m from Fort Smith AR and I have a 79 with a 350 in it. I don’t believe the motor is original and don’t know all the info about it.

Reactions: ddgermann

Trade it for a new one.
As above give us a bit more to work with man. Plenty of good help here if you need it.
D

Sorry. Added some info

Trade it for a new one.
D

Just a suggestion tygary but....

Usually we get a "Hi.... I'm a new member from Fort Smith, Arkansas and have a 19?? C3. It has a ?? motor, stock except for ????... and it started making this funny noise....

The members here will appreciate a bit of an intro first...

Sorry about that. Just added more info

Reactions: Rruuff Day
you need to give abit more description as to what you hear. You say it idles fine, meaning a smooth running engine no vibrations or noises ? So when you hit the gas , is there a steady beat or rhythm to the noise ? is the noise a metallic noise meaning like steel to steel rap ? or is the sound like that of a exhaust leak a steady " sshhtick sshhtick sshhtick ? or does it only make a noise once in awhile no rhythm to it ? is the pop you hear maybe a backfire through the carb ? an exhaust leak will have a spot of black soot at the leak.

Last edited:
you need to give abit more description as to what you hear. You say it idles fine, meaning a smooth running engine no vibrations or noises ? So when you hit the gas , is there a steady beat or rhythm to the noise ? is the noise a metallic noise meaning like steel to steel rap ? or is the sound like that of a exhaust leak a steady " sshhtick sshhtick sshhtick ? or does it only make a noise once in awhile no rhythm to it ? is the pop you hear maybe a backfire through the carb ? an exhaust leak will have a spot of black soot at the leak.

Yes, smooth running. The noise has no rhythm, just random pops while revving. The sound doesn’t seem to be coming from the carb. I believe it’s either from the valves or from the manifold. When I replaced the gaskets there was black soot, but I thought that would be fixed with the new gasket.
I believe it’s either a spot in the manifold still not closed with the gasket or a valve that needs adjusted

if valves are not set right it would either be a steady clicking noise all the time or even a steady shudder while running and not a smooth running motor. Since you say it runs smooth then I presume no misfires or shudder so the valves are ok. It kinda points to the header flanges not sealing properly. A thicker or double gasket may help if that is the case. Headers are known to burn and short out plug wires. You may have a plug wire that may be arching to the pipe and once in awhile it may misfire . I know it is hard to do and see in there but sometimes you can put your fingers down there and feel the exhaust blowing around the flange. If you suspect the pass. side , just lean over it and reach over to the carb and work the linkage to rev the engine and perhaps will give you a better idea where the noise is coming from. The black soot is always a good indicator of a leak. When you rev up the engine and hold it, does is run smooth also or once in awhile pop misfire or shudder ? brake torqueing in gear also can tell if it runs even under load or if there is a missfire it will shake and you'll easily hear and feel it.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.