Nothing more to be said...
Apr 19, 2020
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
‘04 Convertible
Province
AB
Have a “Service steering column lock” in the DIC every start up. I hit reset on the DIC and it’s gone and off I go....the car has had not problems and I learned that my car was not part of the recall. Does anyone know how to clear this code without GM wanting to tear it apart for no reason only to charge me a grand to clear it somehow?

Hi There,

If you look on the forum (under C5 forum )for my post (my1999 coupe) back in June 12 2017 I described how I permanently fixed this problem.
Not sure how to re post this or I would do it for you.
Hope it hleps .

Charlie

Here is the link

Charlie

I fixed a friends C5 with a "Service Column lock" issue a few years ago using information I got on another forum and he hasn't had any problems since then. Though you may have a different problem causing this I would try (now here is where my memory may fail me) With the ignition OFF pull the Column lock fuse. Turn the ignition on then put the fuse back in and listen. You should hear a click from the column and the lock resets. This won't clear the codes but after a few restarts the codes will go to history. This fixed HIS issue and it's been years with no more codes. Not sure about the sequence but if it doesn't work post it back here and I'll look to see if I can find the info I used back then.

Been a while since I sold my C5, but "steering collumn lock" was a very serious and costly problem for me when the steerin wheel actually locked while driving and It could not be unlocked. Went through all the 04006C GM Product Safety Recall mechanics at the dealer and after 10 hours labour they gave up. I drove 700 km to pick up a "lock bypass" kit NO. 5650631000 from Corvette Central but this only corrected the computer. The steering collumn still would not unlock. The dealer said I needed to install a new lock motor for $900 and because my car was a manual transmission, GM would not let the dealer install a blank lock Detroit Grand Prix 2.jpgdisc like they use in the US. I asked the mechanic if he had a Dumor grinder and told him to grind off the lock pin. I had to go to all of this trouble because I only had 4 days to be ready to drive around the track at the Detroit Grand Prix. All good ever since, but suggest anybody with a C5 install this kit.

The column lock on my car was done by a previous owner at a GM dealership....not sure what they did, but it definitely does not lock anymore, as I found out while it was on the jack stands this past weekend.

In response to OL Yejjer with your jack stand issue - does the steering wheel lock when you turn the key off? If

The GM 04006C Recall paper is quite lengthy - 29 pages half US & half Canada - to correct steering locking up. Main point of the recall is to install theft detent wiring kit and then replace steering shift lock plate (except Cdn manual). All to do with deterring auto theft - who steals a Corvette by jumping the ignition - have they not heard of flatbed tow trucks! You can check if this kit is installed by opening up the panel in the front of the passenger side footwell and see if there is, I think, a purple wire jumping the harness. Other way is to have GM dealer check service records and hope it was done properly. In my case the service work was not done correctly, mainly because dealer was originally a Pontiac dealer and had no experience with C5 Vettes. Fortunately, due mostly to reading about this issue on Corvette Forum and having a GM engineer as a friend, I knew more about fixing than the GM dealer. There is also a different aftermarket kit called a LCM-5 that does the same as the one from Corvette Central.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
In response to OL Yejjer with your jack stand issue - does the steering wheel lock when you turn the key off? If

The GM 04006C Recall paper is quite lengthy - 29 pages half US & half Canada - to correct steering locking up. Main point of the recall is to install theft detent wiring kit and then replace steering shift lock plate (except Cdn manual). All to do with deterring auto theft - who steals a Corvette by jumping the ignition - have they not heard of flatbed tow trucks! You can check if this kit is installed by opening up the panel in the front of the passenger side footwell and see if there is, I think, a purple wire jumping the harness. Other way is to have GM dealer check service records and hope it was done properly. In my case the service work was not done correctly, mainly because dealer was originally a Pontiac dealer and had no experience with C5 Vettes. Fortunately, due mostly to reading about this issue on Corvette Forum and having a GM engineer as a friend, I knew more about fixing than the GM dealer. There is also a different aftermarket kit called a LCM-5 that does the same as the one from Corvette Central.
No, the steering wheel does not lock at all, just tried it with no key in the ignition. This is the invoice from the dealerColumn Lock.jpg

Question what part cost $206.59? I don't see any part numbers. Seams expensive for a lock plate, but since you only had about 1 hour labour I would suspect they replaced the lock plate under the steering wheel so it could not lock up with the US version that is smooth. Is your car a US car? My car was a Canadian 5 speed car and GM refused to do this modification as I explained because of the anti theft feature. That is why I cut off the lock pin. With 108,000 kms what did I care if the steering wheel would not lock. Owners can purchase the US lockplate that is smooth and cannot lock or just grind off the lugs, gets the same result.
Luckily when my car locked up I was not driving fast, but if I had......who knows !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.