Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
"Current-generation Corvette owners, listen up. Chevy has announced a new update to the C7 Corvette's magnetic suspension, reports Roadshow. Promised to simultaneously make America's sports car more comfortable andcapable, the calibration update will only cost owners $350. Chevy says the new setup cuts a whole second off the Z06's lap time around its 2.9-mile road course at Michigan's Milford Proving Ground. In a world of $1,000 iPhones, this feels like a steal.

Announced at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, the update will be available to owners of the C7 Stingray and Z06. Grand Sport owners need not fret, though, as the company says more enhancements are brewing and shall be announced later.

Stingray owners that opted for the Z51 package can look forward to new Tour and Sport mode suspension calibrations while those without the Z51 pack can get new setups for Tour, Sport, and Track modes. Z06 drivers also receive refreshed Tour, Sport, and Track mode calibration, regardless of whether or not they have the Z07 package.

The $350 update is available through Chevrolet's dealers, does not involve any hardware changes or additions, and will not void the warranty. How effective the changes are remains to be seen, though. Look for pre- and post-update 'Vette suspension comparisons to hit the automotive blogosphere over the coming months
."

Source:
Chevy Will Make Your C7 Corvette Faster For Just $350

For those of you who game or have kids that game this reminds me of DLC packs and in-app purchases. :)

If the upgrade was to cut a second in the 1/4 mile, I would be on it like Flint. Unless if you are tracking the car regularly, I highly doubt that you would ever notice the difference. JMO

The upgrade allegedly makes the ride a little more comfy and compliant also so it's a win-win 'on paper'. I'm a little confused also as to why they're charging for this and charging a nominal fee. If you're selling this as a feature upgrade price it accordingly, if it's just a software upgrade and part of value add then make it free. Putting it at $350 (or $10,500 CAD or whatever it sells for here) smells of bean counter nickel and diming interference.

The marketing value alone would pay for the R&D on this if they were to give it away. But just my opinion. Same issue with navigation map updates btw :)

Definitely sounds like a worthy upgrade otherwise. Just a wee vent here.

The upgrade allegedly makes the ride a little more comfy and compliant also so it's a win-win 'on paper'. I'm a little confused also as to why they're charging for this and charging a nominal fee. If you're selling this as a feature upgrade price it accordingly, if it's just a software upgrade and part of value add then make it free. Putting it at $350 (or $10,500 CAD or whatever it sells for here) smells of bean counter nickel and diming interference.

The marketing value alone would pay for the R&D on this if they were to give it away. But just my opinion. Same issue with navigation map updates btw :)

This $350 charge is for a possible psychological upgrade for most owners that drink the Koolaid in reality. Must be one hell of an upgrade on an highly bragged about and already extensively tested and tuned magnetic suspension. I like how it refers to only one track for the performance results.... My Z07 rides wonderfully in tour and is stiff as a little red wagon in track.
Frankly It smells like a money grab to offset the legal costs of the class action suit on the Z06 cooling issue. Maybe I'm just being a bit sarcastic but.... really....!.... charge a customer for a programming upgrade on a $140,000 car....

GM should be ashamed...

less one ... only things not on mine ... convertible and mag ride :thumbs:
I think the wife will be asking the question at Spring Mountain in the spring (hers has mag ride)

Reactions: ddgermann
I don't have a C7 but it certainly doesn't sound like you should have to pay for it! What could possibly be involved in this upgrade. No parts, just a calibration update. Bet it costs them about $10 in labour to actually do the change!

T

I wonder how many smart computer geeks will come up with a suspension "upgrade" of their own and sell it for $200 to compete with GM? Warranty becomes toast with another aftermarket "tune". Interesting haw we spend $100,000 on a car and then wince at a few $ for a GM upgrade, myself included. I would like to feel a softer ride on my GS but would not get any chance to feel the track improvements.

Doubtful that many of us track our cars so that second means absolutely nothing to me. It might get the highway cops a bigger ticket stopping you though.
Wish GM would try to put customer service and perception in to focus. These are software changes that can be easily done during the next oil change. If it takes an extra 15 minutes I would happily pay for that. As to comfy rides, it is already a hell of a lot better than my old company car with some 565k kilometres on it.
Nickel and diming us on $100K and more cars is not in GM's interest really.

LE BARRON

Reactions: JCWP and ddgermann
Most cars are hibernating why bring this out now. I will wait for all upgrades to be announced and then whine about warranty issues. Who knows. At least we can vent here.
Cheers.

I agree with you Nik!!!

I wonder how many smart computer geeks will come up with a suspension "upgrade" of their own and sell it for $200 to compete with GM? Warranty becomes toast with another aftermarket "tune". Interesting haw we spend $100,000 on a car and then wince at a few $ for a GM upgrade, myself included. I would like to feel a softer ride on my GS but would not get any chance to feel the track improvements.

Doubtful that many of us track our cars so that second means absolutely nothing to me. It might get the highway cops a bigger ticket stopping you though.
Wish GM would try to put customer service and perception in to focus. These are software changes that can be easily done during the next oil change. If it takes an extra 15 minutes I would happily pay for that. As to comfy rides, it is already a hell of a lot better than my old company car with some 565k kilometres on it.
Nickel and diming us on $100K and more cars is not in GM's interest really.

LE BARRON
Here here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God, I luv the color of your car. I would have bought the one I have if it had been in yellow as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread