C5 Alberta
Jun 29, 2021
Cochrane,Ab
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Corvette
Province
AB
Picked up a 2001 C5 a few days ago. I keep getting a check engine light. Previous owner told me how to reset the code but it keeps coming back. He told me once the car has a few tanks of gas through it problem disappears. I’m on my first full tank of new premium fuel and it’s still coming on. Anyone else having this problem and what did you do to fix it permanently?

Have you read the code to see what is triggering the light? That might point you in the right direction. You can read the code information directly from the DIC using the correct sequence. I believe it is posted here somewhere, or you can google how to read codes on a C5

Picked up a 2001 C5 a few days ago. I keep getting a check engine light. Previous owner told me how to reset the code but it keeps coming back. He told me once the car has a few tanks of gas through it problem disappears. I’m on my first full tank of new premium fuel and it’s still coming on. Anyone else having this problem and what did you do to fix it permanently?
Check the codes as CableGuy suggests. My 2001 C5 Z06 check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. The code is P0153. My mechanic thinks it is the O2 sensor so he ordered a new one, but it has not arrived yet. Will let you know if it solves the problem.

Reactions: 12cents
Have you read the code to see what is triggering the light? That might point you in the right direction. You can read the code information directly from the DIC using the correct sequence. I believe it is posted here somewhere, or you can google how to read codes on a C5
Thank you, I figured out how to access the codes and reset but it doesn’t tell you what the actual code is. I just picked up a cheap code reader from Canadian Tire, I’ll get that setup and see what it tells me.

Thank you, I figured out how to access the codes and reset but it doesn’t tell you what the actual code is. I just picked up a cheap code reader from Canadian Tire, I’ll get that setup and see what it tells me.
My Mechanic said his code reader did not tell him much either, so I'm guessing his code reader did not tell him anything but the same code we can look up on the C5's DIC. Do you have the list of all the OBD codes for the C5 and what they mean? It has been posted on this site before or you can search the internet for the list. Here is a link I use but there are others:
You are being redirected.... This might save you the cost of the code reader.

My Mechanic said his code reader did not tell him much either, so I'm guessing his code reader did not tell him anything but the same code we can look up on the C5's DIC. Do you have the list of all the OBD codes for the C5 and what they mean? It has been posted on this site before or you can search the internet for the list. Here is a link I use but there are others:
You are being redirected.... This might save you the cost of the code reader.

I suggest you borrow or buy a OBD code reader and find out what code comes up. Once you know what code is stored in the engine computer look it up on the internet and it will tell you what the problem is.

I suggest you borrow or buy a OBD code reader and find out what code comes up. Once you know what code is stored in the engine computer look it up on the internet and it will tell you what the problem is.
Thank you, I picked up a code reader from Canadian Tire yesterday. Now to figure out how to use it….

Played with the code reader today, it doesn’t tell me what the actual code is so I’m a little dissapionted. I was able to clear the code with the reader but I could do that without using a reader.

check engine light on my 2003 C5 AE just came on last week also ... car only has 59,000km .... checking DIC didn't over much in the way of what the issue was ..... so off to the dealer ... turned out to be MAF (mass airflow sensor) dirty/part sticking ...... re & re after a clean and all good .... 2 hrs bench time/test drive to confirm numbers ....... told that 'loose' or 'defective' (bad seal) gas cap was usually the #1 fault with that light ...... OBD carder needs to be type II for the C5 ... hope you figure it out

As I have been writing, my 2008, 6.2 coupe had the problem in early July. My GM engineeer friend, found it was the emission vent solenoid system. Forum members thought it was code P0449, Champion Motors in Scarborough verified that and replaced the solenoid and a new harness was being recommended by GM, both were done. No problem since. A new gas cap, did not solve that problem.

As I have been writing, my 2008, 6.2 coupe had the problem in early July. My GM engineeer friend, found it was the emission vent solenoid system. Forum members thought it was code P0449, Champion Motors in Scarborough verified that and replaced the solenoid and a new harness was being recommended by GM, both were done. No problem since. A new gas cap, did not solve that problem.

Finally got this rectified . Replaced the knock sensor under the intake manifold and the wiring harness. No more check engine light but $700.00 lighter in the pocket book….

Check engine light keeps coming on.Looking up the code it says PO410 2nd air injection control. The other one that keeps coming up is PO141 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction. Can anyone tell me how to fix these 2 problems please? Also lately I’ve been getting a Service ABs light and service active HNDLG lights. They go out after the car has been started a couple of times but they keep coming back. Any advise on how to deal with these problems?
Thanks

I had an issue with the 2nd bank check valve (P1416 ? not sure now...the one behind the head on the passenger side) was getting the active handling, abs and traction control codes come on at the same time as well. I was thinking that the brake module needed to be repaired but after I got the check valve replaced, those didn't return after I cleared the codes in the system. Maybe you are getting the additional codes as I was, maybe the systems are all tied together some how. Do a google search of your codes and you should find out how to repair these issues...Good Luck, keep us posted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.