ronlea

Casual User
Aug 3, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
2005 Corvette
I always put my corvette away with new oil but this year only put on 1800 kms Because it uses synthetic oil just wondering if changing is necessary. Thanks.

I tend to bet on the weather here in AB. I have sadly looked at the forecasts and hedged that my driving days are over, changed the oil, and then got great weather for a few more days... So I am guilty of sometimes putting her away with 4 or 5 hundred km on the oil. So far the acids haven't eaten their way through the block but I suppose it's just a matter of time.... :(

hahahaha... another debate ....less than a quarter tank in the C7 seems to be inching it's way up the popularity ladder but we still have many "full tank" supporters. Both arguments (condensation.... or the fuel sensor seizing up) have arguable merit... but who knows.... If you're running ethanol blended gasoline, condensation during storage is definately not wanted. So far I am 5 years of full tank plus stabilizer during storage on the C7 and 5 before that on the C6 (never use ethanol blended fuel), and no sensor problems but ya never know ....

Reactions: Dantanman
My oil is showing 90% after 2500 kms and change. As per the service techs at 3 different locations,there’s no need to change it for storage. As one of them said laughing,”You Corvette guys are a finicky bunch” “yeah,bring your car in for oil when not required,we’ll take your money”.....

Let me clarify too this chat was among 2 mechanics and the service tech and not delivered as a customer being stupid. It was delivered as a “this oil is pretty good and there’s no need to change it that soon”.

Should make for some good debating/arguing/eye rolling posts this winter. 😉

Me,I’m ok at what i think will be 85% when I park it. Why worry ? I’m going to eat Tacos all winter and not be the least bit concerned. 🌮🌮

Last edited:
Make sense to me. Some of us are definitely anal about our cars. :Banghead:
Oh no question there J. No question at all. I have my own quirks with mine 😉.

I have full confidence in what M1 says about their products..Changing oil at 80% is pretty OCD to me. But hey !! If that’s what someone feels the “need to” because.... you know what....I’m leaving this alone 😉😉

My oil at 90% is just as clear as the fresh 1ltr bottle I have in the garage. To change it next week or in 2 weeks would be a waste of $200.00..... And then again in the spring ?

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
I used to change oil in the old school hotrods twice a year regardless of kms, (usually super low), those old engines ran dirty and hot compared to these new ones.

• Agree
YYSSW ... GM includes enough oil changes for 2 per year for the first two years of buying a new C7.
If it's included at no extra charge, everyone will be doing it.
Perhaps GM does this for C7's to get us addicted on 2 oil changes per year.
So after the lawyers are done with Purdue Pharma and the Oxycontin Addiction Class action,
maybe they will take on the GM class action for the C7 biannual oil change addiction ...

I have to confess being one to have to sign up for that :rofl:

Last edited:
YYSSW ... GM includes enough oil changes for 2 per year for the first two years of buying a new C7.
If it's included at no extra charge, everyone will be doing it.
Perhaps GM does this for C7's to get us addicted on 2 oil changes per year.
So after the lawyers are done with Purdue Pharma and the Oxycontin Addiction Class action,
maybe they will take on the GM class action for the C7 biannual oil change addiction ...

I have to confess being one to have to sign up for that :rofl:
Can we sue them for getting us addicted to Corvettes? Be careful with the "biannual" term, Trudeau might show up at your house thinking there's a parade to march in :)

Yes the yearly low KM fall oil change debate will rage on without any consensus as always.
There is merit to every perspective and I’ve done both.
Felt good about storing the car on fresh oil then got it changed again immediately in the spring as I was then worried about condensation that may have occurred over the winter. $$$
Left the car over winter stored with 80% oil life and worried about acids. Changed the oil right away in the spring and felt good all summer with a fresh oil change. Less $$
That being said with 3 corvettes now I’ve paid for only 1 oil change so far. However my latest one has had 4 oil changes in 11,000 KMs. This is the 3rd winter it’s stored and the next one in the spring is not going to be a free one.
So it’s about piece of mind more than anything for most of us I believe as most of us are just playing with these cars and not using them to the potential the cars have.
If I was tracking or auto crossing all summer for sure the oil changes would be much more often. But if a guy wants to change his touring corvettes oil 4 times a year because he just cares about his car and wants it to be perfect for him, great. Why not. I will say if I was shopping he is definitely the guy I want to buy my used corvette from.

Let the debate rage on....

D

Depending upon how many miles I put on the car since the last oil change, I have done it both ways in the past.
I we do lot's of road trips during the summer, I will change the oil in the fall before storage.
We typically put about 8-10,000 KM's per season, and I change oil at 8K or so.
If I have changed the oil prior to the hibernation, and it has less than 2,000 km's on it, then I will only change in the Spring after our yearly 1st road trip to Massachussett's, NH, and Maine.
Once we return from that trip, I will change the oil.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.