C7 Owner
Aug 30, 2014
Pine Lake, Alberta
Best answers
Car
C7 3LT ZF1
Reactions
4,005 6 0
Well.... after seeing this on youtube, i had to try it and see if it really was that easy.... you be the judge.... Not for everyone but for that CF look (from a distance), it's passable. So for those of us that bought their Corvette with their kids university fund, grab a few cans of paint and some dollar store cupboard liner and you too can paint the side of a canned mushroom box and have the homemade carbon fibre experience..... lol..... Gonna try it on the ACS splash guards next.

Poor man's CF.jpg

nascar03

Power User
Jan 27, 2009
Township of Langley, BC
Best answers
Car
1975 coupe/2003 vert
Reactions
1,852 3 0
Eric...did you use Plasti-Dip products for this?
I have seen their vid on you-tube... It looks quite good.
Can we see a pic without the green tape?

I have used some CF sticky-sheet stuff that works great on flat surfaces.
I have a few items I want to try with the paint process as well.

Graham

OP
OP
Rruuff Day

Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
C7 Owner
Aug 30, 2014
Pine Lake, Alberta
Best answers
Car
C7 3LT ZF1
Reactions
4,005 6 0
Hey Graham. Yes. This was with Plasti Dip. Its pretty easy. You've heard the saying 'If I can do it, anyone can do it'.... Well... that saying was invented for me...lol...Here's some more pics. I think I can sharpen up the individual edges a little more by controlling the angle of the paint can better. I think I tended to roll the spray can instead of sweeping it back and forth. And I also will wait a little longer between the gunmetal coat, the metalizer coat and the glossifier coat. I think the metalizer too soon also took away some of the sharpness. The close up is from about 8 inches away

CF2.jpg CF4.jpg

nascar03

Power User
Jan 27, 2009
Township of Langley, BC
Best answers
Car
1975 coupe/2003 vert
Reactions
1,852 3 0
lookin' good.

Graham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)