VetteCoins
Car
just for fun.....

CentralChev002.jpg
[/IMG]

88.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I graduated in 1970...my first job paid $15.47/DAY....
These cars were expensive!
In late 1971 I was going to order a 1972 NOVA SS hatchback...$3975.
When I got to the dealer to officially place the order I spotted a used '70 Chevelle(stripes, buckets/cons,H70 redline tires/mags..) on the lot for $3000......drove it home instead!! I was 18 yrs old.
Straight to the g/f's house and then down to the burger strip, Kingsway in Vancouver, to show it off! :D:driving:
Good times...Good times.......
graham

PS That g/f is still my wife...! 40 years!! I guess she liked the car too!

nascar03, what a terrific story! Sort of gives me a "Canadian Graffiti" sort of feeling! Life was so much more straightforward then or so it seemed.

You're still driving a fantastic car and married to an even more fantstic woman by the sounds of it...........

Cheers,

Garry

I graduated in 1970...my first job paid $15.47/DAY....
These cars were expensive!
In late 1971 I was going to order a 1972 NOVA SS hatchback...$3975.
When I got to the dealer to officially place the order I spotted a used '70 Chevelle(stripes, buckets/cons,H70 redline tires/mags..) on the lot for $3000......drove it home instead!! I was 18 yrs old.
Straight to the g/f's house and then down to the burger strip, Kingsway in Vancouver, to show it off! :D:driving:
Good times...Good times.......
graham

PS That g/f is still my wife...! 40 years!! I guess she liked the car too!

I envy your generation. My brother is 8 years older than me so he would fit between us age wise; I was a bit young but I had the honour of crusing with his buddies in some of those cars in the late seventies. I've always been grateful for those experiences and most likely is the reason that I'm such a car nut to this day. I came of age in the early eighties; times were changing but we still had our fun, but those classics were becoming rare and expensive to own and nobody I knew could afford a new Z28 or Mustang GT; especially the insurance on them. We had to settle for Monzas, Mustang II's and Celicas.

wow, talk about a trip in the way back machine mr peabody !!! makes me think about this time of year in 1972.i bought my 71 demon 340 4 spd at sorensen chrysler in scarborough,2700 bucks tax and license in,used to joke it was a dollar a pound.had an absolute blast with that lil' screamer for over 2 years then traded it in on my first brand new car, a 74 cuda. 4200 tax and license in. i couldn't tell you what i had for lunch but for some reason i will always remember the numbers on those two cars. doug.

You guys are getting me all misty eyed..... Oh the memories.
In 1970 I was 16 with a brand new driver's licenses. Bought a 63 Dodge Dart from an uncle that was going to scrap it..... Cost me $20 (scrap value) and my Dad helped me install a couple of tie rod ends and front brakes.
No power house this one: had a leaning tower of power (225 slant 6) and push button auto. Boy the time I had in that car. Drove it for a year or so and sold it to a guy at school for $30. Only car I ever made money on.
Oh the memories................thanks.

I can't believe how the prices of the used cars plummet in only a few years! I wonder how much money we will be making in the future and if we'll ever say, remember when you could get a Corvette for only $80,000?

I can't believe how the prices of the used cars plummet in only a few years! I wonder how much money we will be making in the future and if we'll ever say, remember when you could get a Corvette for only $80,000?

Sitting down, Riley?

WindowSticker-blur-lg.jpg

Anyone who doesn't think $6,311.55 was a lot of money in those days, think again.
:eek:

General Motors of Canada Limited reproductions aren't being made (to my knowledge), so this Chevrolet Motor Division - General Motors Corporation repro will have to do.

:canada:

Sitting down, Riley?

WindowSticker-blur-lg.jpg

Anyone who doesn't think $6,311.55 was a lot of money in those days, think again.
:eek:

General Motors of Canada Limited reproductions aren't being made (to my knowledge), so this Chevrolet Motor Division - General Motors Corporation repro will have to do.

:canada:
just thinking a friend of mine could have done the pre delivery on your car. he was a mechanic at golden mile in those days. drove the golden mile impala at dragstrips around 63 - 64. eventually became service manager. his brother ran the body shop.

To put things into perspective, I was making about $2.50 an hour as an apprentice at GM Oshawa in 1966. I was fortunate in having a job that paid that well. A $3000 car was about all that I could handle back then. Gas wasn't cheap either. Cars and gas kept me broke for my first five years of working. Then, I stopped buying new. I've only bought three new cars and usually looked for low mileage three year old cars, letting someone else take the huge initial depreciation. We bought our 13,300 mile 2005 Corvette this spring for well less that half of the 2005 list price. That's new enough for me.
I don't know the details, but you can get window stickers for Corvettes through the Corvette Museum. Look them up on the internet.

I don't know the details, but you can get window stickers for Corvettes through the Corvette Museum. Look them up on the internet.

Keith,

They only offer post-1981 Bowling Green-built Corvette build sheets and window stickers. Prior to 1981, Corvettes were built in St. Louis, except for 1953 when the first 15 Corvettes ever made were hand-built in a customer delivery garage in Flint, MI.

$6311 seems like a lot of money in comparison to the Camaro's and others in the ad above. It's just that cars sound like they were cheap because we make more money number-wise today, even though in comparison it's the same.

The list price on our COPO Chevelle was $4436.00 so the Corvette was nearly half as much again with somewhat similar option list. Like the Corvette above, the option list was pretty short. L72 engine, M20 four speed, tach and gauge dash with speed warning, 4.10 posi, and power disc brakes. Real men didn't need power steering and air conditioning. :D

I like how you could order each option individually instead of being limited to a package option.

There was some packaging, Riley, although quite limited.

For example, with the L-71, you could not order a M-35 automatic, nor C-60 A/C, but had to order options like the K-66 transistor ignition system and one of either the M-20 or M-21 4-speeds.
IMG_0506_a.jpg

With a L-88, you had to order the M-22 rock crusher 4-speed, J-56 Special Heavy-Duty brakes, G-81 positraction, F-41 suspension, large aluminum rad, etc., and had to delete the heater/defroster (C-48). You could not order the U-69 radio either.
1967LeMansCorvette-700.jpg

One of the original 20 1967 L-88 cars. Raced the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Packaging like this was centred around the high-performance cars. With the lower hp engines, you could mix and match just about any optional item to build your own very unique Corvette. The old-maid librarian could order a 300hp 327 with automatic, air conditioning, white-wall tires (yuck!!!) and putt-putt her way to work each morning. I chose a somewhat different path. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread