May 15, 2016
VetteCoins
Car
2009 C6 coupe
Did a search but got no results so I hope this is the right place to ask. Has anyone put a catch can on their ls3 and is it needed? I have one on the hemi in the truck and can dump it out once or twice between oil changes. The amount that gets reintoduced through the pcv blows my mind. Interested in your feedback and options if necessary. Not getting much back on google either. Thanks!

Read a thread about the catch can on another site. This guy had a friend that installed one on his Camaro. The engine blew and GM declined warranty because of the can and a loss of oil pressure. There were many thoughts on this. More to the story? The dealer did not know what they were talking about etc? GM actually sells the catch can in the performance catalog.

Might be worth talking to the dealer about it just to make sure that if your motor is still covered under GM warranty that there will not be a down side to installing. The consensus of opinion is that they work very well as you have noticed with the install on the hemi car.

Read a thread about the catch can on another site. This guy had a friend that installed one on his Camaro. The engine blew and GM declined warranty because of the can and a loss of oil pressure. There were many thoughts on this. More to the story? The dealer did not know what they were talking about etc? GM actually sells the catch can in the performance catalog.

Might be worth talking to the dealer about it just to make sure that if your motor is still covered under GM warranty that there will not be a down side to installing. The consensus of opinion is that they work very well as you have noticed with the install on the hemi car.

Catch can is install between pcv and intake and have no interference with oil pressure, GM was just looking at a getway from the invoice. I thought these where use on supercharge engine only???

That's pretty funny that the last post on this thread was June 2 one year ago today! I can't make this up....but I recently followed through with the catch can install and checked it for the very FIRST time ever today. As I had thought it is vitally essential that almost any modern motor should have one installed even if it is not on a forced induction setup. I am not even close to my oil change interval and have almost 1.5 inches of oil collected in the elite engineering can. The proof is in the pudding they say...the smell of oil I used to get inside the cabin after a hard pull has been completely eliminated as well. Money very well spent and as far as I am concerned all of our cars should have one installed from day one.
20170602_152438.jpg
20170602_152408.jpg
20170602_144931.jpg

Reactions: nascar03
Most overlooked, yet vital upgrade. I should update this thread with some pictures. I have a set of pistons with 25,000km on them that have a layer of carbon on top of them at least as thick as my fingernail. It's amazing the amount of blowby that these engines consume. The PCV line is much too short, and it really just serves as a straw in the foam of an oil milkshake to the MAF. Even just a longer hose before the PCV and after is an improvement, but a catch can is best.

Reactions: Tinman
I put an Elite catch can on my LS3 in my 2013 Camaro. It worked well. Every 1000km depending upon how hard I was on the throttle I would get about 1/4" of oil in the bottom of the catch can to empty so it was definitely doing its job.

I made a catch can for about $15 bucks using some automotive hose and a small filter that is used on shop compressors.Worked like a charm.Probably still in my tool box since I sold the car.Th filter had a glass bowl with a drain so the amount could be monitored and drained if and when required.

So here is a question for you all. I have a brand new catch can(still in the box) for 2014 Ram 1500 hemi, is there anyway I can make this work on the Vette with a little modification, or am I better off getting the correct one?

So here is a question for you all. I have a brand new catch can(still in the box) for 2014 Ram 1500 hemi, is there anyway I can make this work on the Vette with a little modification, or am I better off getting the correct one?
As far as I know it should be fine. Just a matter of mounting and hose size/fittings/routing.

Reactions: Dub
As far as I know it should be fine. Just a matter of mounting and hose size/fittings/routing.
The one I have on my hemi is same design basically as the elite on the car. Single in single out. The trucks can is a Diablo and screws on/off from the bottom the same as the Elite. Hope that helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.