Interesting read Keith! Although sad that the plant is being demolished and I hate seeing historic buildings no longer exist, I wonder what the alternative is? I think the tragedy is more when the plan closed, a usable, historic building went into ruin becoming worthless....well, actually becoming $30 million less than worthless with no way to recover. It would have been neat to have saved the building for something else when it first closed or maybe saved a portion as a museum and demo'd the rest?

Very interesting story and thanks for sharing it Keith. Sad to see these historic buildings disappear but with all the contamination I am not sure what else they could do. Thankfully the site is being cleaned up.

I spoke to a friend last week about a building site his company owned in Toronto. Very valuable real-estate except that it too was contaminated with machine oil, down to about the same depths at the Carter Plant, to do anything with it. They ended up giving the property away to a developer with the understanding that they had to clean it up. Condo's are being built there now. You just never know.

David, the suggestion is a good one. We were in Downtown, well maybe uptown Toronto at Sherbourne just south of Bloor Street last week. There is a beautiful century home on the west side about a block south of Bloor. They are in the process of moving the house off the original foundation forward to the street. The original building will be the entrance to the new condos they are building there. Incorporating the old with the new. Great idea and I bet it will look stunning.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.