Jun 13, 2019
USA
VetteCoins
I’m considering putting carbon fiber side skirts and a front spoiler on my Z06.

Can anyone with carbon fiber tell me if it chips from road debris/rocks? Would you recommend staying with painted ground effects??

Reactions: YFCvii

Can anyone with carbon fiber tell me if it chips from road debris/rocks? Would you recommend staying with painted ground effects??

Mine are both OEM in carbon fibre. I had them wrapped with Expel and have had no chips in 7000km
It think you’re safe to put them on. They have a pretty heavy clear coat on them as well.

Mine are both OEM in carbon fibre. I had them wrapped with Expel and have had no chips in 7000km
It think you’re safe to put them on. They have a pretty heavy clear coat on them as well.

Thank you ... Appreciate the info.

Reactions: ddgermann
I have the apr aero pack all in carbon fiber and also wrapped the entire package using xpel. Biggest issue is cost and ultimately damage will happen. I've had my package since 2015 and so I've had them for 30k kms. The damage is mostly due to the odd pothole, dips in the road and large speed bumps so I have some cracking which is mostly underneath but a few spots on sides of the side skirts. I dont regret buying in carbon fiber but the key is to not expect them to last forever unless you rarely drive the car. I'm looking to replace my side skirts which in carbon fiber is at least $2k plus $250 to wrap again versus if I just go with carbon flash its about half the cost. But I just love the carbon fiber look so for me I will always choose that option.

I did my car in carbon as well. Sides, front, wing and a new diffuser with canards for the rear. Biggest problem I have is steep driveway entrances. If you decide to do it, it will be expensive but will also change the look and feel of the car.
However, nothing lasts forever, especially if you add parts to your car which are 3 inches from the ground. Buy an extra pair of winglets for the front. Trust me, just do it.

• Agree
I did my car in carbon as well. Sides, front, wing and a new diffuser with canards for the rear. Biggest problem I have is steep driveway entrances. If you decide to do it, it will be expensive but will also change the look and feel of the car.
However, nothing lasts forever, especially if you add parts to your car which are 3 inches from the ground. Buy an extra pair of winglets for the front. Trust me, just do it.

You are correct. I also have a second set of tall carbon fibre front canards in a box waiting for the inevitable day I will need one.

Reactions: LUVMYC7
I had a few scrapes as well so I installed an after market front camera. When the car slows down to 5 km or less, the front camera turns on in the infotainment display screen. When I put it in reverse, the rear camera comes on the same way. Believe me, it's definitely a worthwhile investment. The camera is tiny, about the size of a large pea but gives amazing clarity. I mounted mine just under the front crossbar right in the middle of the grille. Haven't scraped the front since. As you are well aware, those carbon pieces are way too expensive to be going through them yearly, so a camera would be a wise investment, and will pay for itself the first time it saves you from yet another replacement.

• Agree
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.