2 You're 10
Feb 23, 2010
hamilton
VetteCoins
Car
2009 coupe
is it safe to use a power pressure washer or will it cause cracks to clear coat
due to water pressure and heat build up

I find the regular hose removes more.... pressure washers are meant for tractors with 3 inches of mud caked on, eaves troves and cleaning concrete and decks.

I've noticed no matter how close you get to the paint you will not remove the grime... not matter what soap you use... it wont come off with a pressure washer. The touch-less washes use seriously harmful/harsh detergents. beware!

I use a regular hose and soak it real good... then use two buckets technique with debris catchers... I use two level cleaning technique... use one glove to clean the top part of the car then another to clean the bottom 1 foot that gets the most dirty... start from the top and work down... decrease the chances of scratching the car. I change the soap and water at least 4 times.

I then do the wheels with a sponge and normal car soap.

Then I use a shammy to dry the top portion of car then a microfiber to do the bottom last foot... 30 minutes tops.

Last edited:
I find the regular hose removes more.... pressure washers are meant for tractors with 3 inches of mud caked on, eaves troves and cleaning concrete and decks.

I've noticed no matter how close you get to the paint you will not remove the grime... not matter what soap you use... it wont come off with a pressure washer. The touch-less washes use seriously harmful/harsh detergents. beware!

I use a regular hose and soak it real good... then use two buckets technique with debris catchers... I use two level cleaning technique... use one glove to clean the top part of the car then another to clean the bottom 1 foot that gets the most dirty... start from the top and work down... decrease the chances of scratching the car. I change the soap and water at least 4 times.

I then do the wheels with a sponge and normal car soap.

Then I use a shammy to dry the top portion of car then a microfiber to do the bottom last foot... 30 minutes tops.

Jezzzzzzzzz and I thought I was anal :rofl:

Thats how we wash a Corvette :D

[email protected]

I don't think he has kids :rofl: my process involves 2 kids with little turtle shaped sponges going over parts of the car that are already dried.
[mob][/mob]

I'm sorry... i could not handle that... but your right I don't have any dna children... just two dog a vette and a wife..

The only time I use commercial car washes is in the winter.

I split a Sunoco carwash card with a friend and get unlimited car washes at the touchless to keep the cars semi clean of crud in the winter... summer its all manual! (gives me a bit of exercise too)... I dont mind doing it. I sit at a desk all day.. its relaxing.

Snow foam would be good, then you could just rub a sponge over it and it would all be nice and soapy.

As for washing the inside of the car, maybe it was a better option than burning it.

A little story:
I remember some time ago my friend got a preasure washer when they first came out, a nice heavy
duty unit with adjustable preasure.
We purchased it at the store and headed home to try it out on his car, we where doing a fine
job at cleaning it (think it was a Dynasty or some crap car) and he decided to get the car cleaner
he would crank the preasure up to the max.

Well all I can tell you is that he turned it up to full and then started on the side door of the car
right at the opening and got real close (to get it cleaner I guess) and blasted right down the side of
the car, well the trim on the car those days was not like today (3M?) and the dam thing just
peeled back the chrome trim as he went down the side of the car like peeling a banana.

WTF, his face was in shock, hum I guess too much preasure, since then cars I actually care about
no preasure washing takes place on, at all. :nono:

Nothing wrong with a pressure washer if used with caution. The pressure washer is great for getting off any heavy dirt that a garden hose cant. All you need is one tiny stone or pebble in your mit dragging on your paint and its all over!! And I think the most crtitcal question in this thread should be what colour is your car??? If my car was silver I would have the local kids wash it with a hockey stick and a rag....:) Taking care of a black car and keeping swirls down to a minimum is something a silver car owner doesnt have to worry about. Black is hard to keep up if I had to go back I would never buy a black car again. At night when the sun starts going down black is beautiful but in direct sunlight you could wax for hours!!!! Just my two cents..

Nothing wrong with a pressure washer if used with caution. The pressure washer is great for getting off any heavy dirt that a garden hose cant. All you need is one tiny stone or pebble in your mit dragging on your paint and its all over!! And I think the most crtitcal question in this thread should be what colour is your car??? If my car was silver I would have the local kids wash it with a hockey stick and a rag....:) Taking care of a black car and keeping swirls down to a minimum is something a silver car owner doesnt have to worry about. Black is hard to keep up if I had to go back I would never buy a black car again. At night when the sun starts going down black is beautiful but in direct sunlight you could wax for hours!!!! Just my two cents..

... and apparently they look better in the shade too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.