Dec 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2016 ZF1 Stingray
Province
QC
What would happen let's say if the car breaks down during the warranty period can the repairs be done at a local dealer or do I have to make arrangement to have the car towed to the dealer I bought it from that's a 2 hour drive away? I'll ask the dealer when we chat next time but I'd like to hear your experiences.

Second question about oil changes, I know it has been covered a bit but if it's like my GF's Honda we had to make the oil changes at the dealer for the first 3 years or they would void the warranty. Don't get me started on the tire that wore out prematurely and told us to F-off. Since I always do my own oil changes and car repairs and I buy a used C7 outside the city with a little warranty left this may be a big headache to lose an entire day of wages to drive out of town to have an oil change at the dealer. The good news is I'd have to do that only once a year a couple of times before I can take over.

Tango it is my understanding that on new cars the warranty is with General Motors not the dealer and any authorized agent for them will repair issues under the coverage. Used vehicles may have dealer warranty but if you are buying a late model Corvette chances are the milage is low and the vehicle still covered by the manufacture. IMO.

I would say it is the same for oil changes, The General asks for specific work to be done, i.e. oil changes, for which they pay the participating dealer. The oil changes were at designated in intervals from new, if the vehicle is used make sure the dealer confirms they were in fact done so the warranty is not impacted. Then you can change on your own but keep receipts for oil and filter purchases.

Good luck.

Tango:

GM's new vehicle warranty is valid anywhere in Canada and the US and should be honored by any authorized GM dealer. No worries about having to return to the selling dealer for warranty service.

As far as your GF's Honda having to be returned to the dealer for oil changes or the warranty would be voided - they lied to her, typical dealer BS. Consumer vehicle laws in this country have provided for owners and/or independent servicing agents to perform their own repairs and maintenance during the warranty period for many years now. Like Black said, if you follow the required service schedule, use approved parts and fluids and keep your dated receipts you'll have no problems.

Best regards
Ross

I went to only a few garages in my life so it's an eye opener of all the shady stuff going on. When I was 19 I decided I was buying a 300$ ratchet set and fixing my beater instead of bringing it in to a garage and pay about the same amount. Now I could open a garage I have so many tools. Although not a true professional and I don't have all the answers I'm pretty proud I can fix anything from changing gears in a diff, I built and installed double transfer cases for my rock crawler, to rewire harnesses, I rebuilt a manual transmission once and pulled many out for the dreaded release bearing to repairing AC issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.