I have a clean record, and my C5 Z06 is about on par with that (oh yeah, I'm 37). I'm sure that base C6's are similar but then not sure about newer Grand Sports, Z06's or the big boy ZR1's.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Clean record, second car, retired, low miles per year, $800/yr.
Other car (Taurus SHO about same).

C.

Interesting ... when you say "per year", does that mean you can drive it during the winter months if you wanted to ?
All things being the same...
I was quoted $650 for the 6 months of summer, and $40 for being stored for the winter .
I have to call them again to clarify .

Jim

Generally, the cars 15 years old and older are pretty cheap to insure with places like Haggerty, but there are restrictions. With our old Chevelles it was so much per thousand dollars of insured value. For a $35K car it would be around $300. Our Corvette would be triple that if we insured it for the whole year with no driving restrictions. You can keep just fire and theft coverage on in the winter while the car is in storage which saves a few dollars.

Generally, the cars 15 years old and older are pretty cheap to insure with places like Haggerty, but there are restrictions. With our old Chevelles it was so much per thousand dollars of insured value. For a $35K car it would be around $300. Our Corvette would be triple that if we insured it for the whole year with no driving restrictions. You can keep just fire and theft coverage on in the winter while the car is in storage which saves a few dollars.

Keith,

Were you referring to Haggerty when you mentioned the Corvette? If so, I need to talk to them because I wasn't aware that I could drop to summer driving only coverage. My Corvette is insured with them. Our regular insurer wouldn't cover it. The premiums for the Corvette are equal to that of our other four vehicles combined. :(

That sounds odd..... At Haggerty, anything that is older than 15 years, and meets the requirements (which corvettes do) is generally mighty cheap. My 88 (25 years old) costs me $250 a year. Yes, you do have to have a daily driver insured, and show you won't be driving the corvette everyday......Keep it in a garage and so worth. This is upon an agreed value; $12000 in my case.
I would think your 67 would be not bad for cost at all...

Someone [ who ? ] posted a while ago re insurance rates and the factors that affect your
rate including where you live.
For the Niagara/ St. Catharines area cost for '13 GS is $50 more than the $1000 for the
'06 Vibe. Could drive 'vette all year if I wanted for that cost. For info when I changed
from '11 coupe to '13 GS, insurance increased by $9 pa !!!

Tony,
welland

Interesting ... when you say "per year", does that mean you can drive it during the winter months if you wanted to ?
All things being the same...
I was quoted $650 for the 6 months of summer, and $40 for being stored for the winter .
I have to call them again to clarify .

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yes I can drive the 'vette all year if I leave the policy fully active during the winter months.......which I don't. To save a little I put a hold on the driving privs and just keep fire and theft on it for winter.
The rate I quoted is for the year. I only have full policy for about 8 months so pay a little less for the year.

Colin.

That sounds odd..... At Haggerty, anything that is older than 15 years, and meets the requirements (which corvettes do) is generally mighty cheap. My 88 (25 years old) costs me $250 a year. Yes, you do have to have a daily driver insured, and show you won't be driving the corvette everyday......Keep it in a garage and so worth. This is upon an agreed value; $12000 in my case.
I would think your 67 would be not bad for cost at all...

Brian, my '67 does not qualify for the Silver Wheels plan, so it's covered by their Custom Wheels. I can only insure it for a full year and, due to the amount of agreed value coverage (not my driving record), the premiums are through the roof. Oh well.

My '75 is insured through Haggerty's Silver Wheels plan for $254/yr with an agreed appraisal of $22,500 plus tax which works out to $25,425. There are restrictions like not driving it to work, etc and no drivers under 25. Not bad I thought for the no hassle value. It was cheaper than what some other collector car insurance companies wanted.

how does the cost to insure the newer corvettes compare to the cost of a daily driver ? do you require a separate policy or is it considered an add on ? my c3 has really spoiled me at 102 bucks a year.

Newer corvettes don't really differ much in price from my experience in terms of being daily driven. if you're looking to keep costs down on a vette that' can't be classified for classic automobile insurance, then the vehicle will have to be insured as a "regular" vehicle on your policy. as far as price goes, there's not much you can do aside from shopping around, captializing on discounts that a company may offer (ie alumni or occupation discounts, maybe retiree discount), and keeping your mileage low for the insurance company, also if you don't commute to work with the vette that helps too as long as the insurance company is aware of it. Those are your best options.

Corvette prices for the most part are not bad and i think it's due to the fact that corvette owners are meticulous about their cars and have a good head on their shoulders (for the most part). As i believe VelocityYellow mentioned in a previous thread, there is a very minute number of vettes that are no longer on the road when you consider it's 60 year history. those numbers definitely would help in the rates as it would imply that the insurance company would take on less risk of having a $50k+ vehicle being written off.

To give you an idea of how great our corvettes are (and how wet behind the ears I am)
I am 25 living in Toronto with 1 minor traffic ticket on my record (due to come off my record next year). I own a 1997 c5 with 5000-6000km a year and a 6km commute to work in the summer months on the vette. I pay a little less than $180/month which works out to around $2160/year; that's to have the car insured to be driven all year round and doesn't take into account the discount you receive from storing the vehicle in the winter months. The price might seem high, but if you consider my age, my location and a ticket, you really can't complain :D

so unlike the old days, there is no high performance surcharge ?

I believe rates are now based on location, your age, driving record and history of accidents/safety performance with each particular car. I don't believe that there's a surcharge for my performance cars: both the 'vette and the SHO.

(at least with the companies I have dealt with).

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.