Featured Thread
R

RockyPM

Haven't been on the forum much lately as work has been hectic. Some of you know i was having issues with the car not starting and the dreaded "Service Column Lock" DIC warning was rearing it's ugly display. Finally broke down and took the car to Western Corvette in Calgary. They diagnosed the problem and are replacing the "black box" under the dash. This is the add on to bypass the lock issue in the first place. I had two different ones fail on me and Western uses a different supplier for the one they are installing. While there I've decided to have them do the oil pan gasket replacement as I was starting to smell a bit of burning oil when I shut the car down. Not a cool smell to have around a nice car. Hopefully will be picking the car up next week and all will be 100%!

UPDATE. The black box bypass did not work for my car. Jason at Western Corvette walked me through the options. Not many. The issue is with the ECU. It cannot be reprogrammed. Solution, replace ECU with ECU from 2006 that does not have the column lock. They luckily have a 2006 they are parting out so the repair is under way. Waiting to hear the cost of the effort but it's worth it to have the car solid for cruising and the trip to Bowling Green. Need to get the car back as I'm experiencing withdrawal shakes and we are having such nice hot days! Wife thinks it's good becuase all the yard work is getting done!

So, I'm not changing the oil pan gasket. Western Corvette got into checking it out and lo and behold it;'s the water pump! Leaking and when hot will freshen up the slight seep form the oil pan! The cost of the repair just went down! Gotta love that kind of news on a Friday afternoon!!

Hey Paul. Sorry to hear you are being biten by the "Service Column issue". I had the same issue off and on for years and then left me stranded. Got serious about fixing it and was successful with a part from the original designer that created the part for Corvettes of Houston. Has been working now for little over 2 years with not even a hint of problems. Did it myself and being real careful took about 40 minutes. Good luck. Safe travels.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Had that part from Corvettes of Houston Garth and a few others as well. The failure was tracked back to the car's ECU/BCM. Crar starts every time now but since the replacement BCM is from a coupe we are having issues with the convertible top. Because of this Western Corvette is sourcing a 2006 convertible BCM. it's been an interesting journey to say the least and I'm not finished yet. Stay tuned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.