Shadz

Casual User
You're 5
Jul 20, 2015
Kenora, On
VetteCoins
Car
1975 Coupe,
Question. I have a motorhome and wish to bring my Corvette on vacation with us I am looking for a car hauler, aluminum, 16'X 7'. Does anybody have one for sale?

Has anybody had any experiences either positive or negative? I have a '75 that I want to tow. Veh is a 450 Ford , (30' motorhome).
Thanks

No experience here Shadz but assuming your motorhome is either a Diesel or a V10, power shouldn't be much of a problem. Aluminum haulers are bit harder to find used but worth the weight savings by a long shot. I had a traditional steel and wood deck 18' hauler up until a few months ago and it was a bit of a pull for anything except my diesel truck.

Car and 16' trailer you're looking at around 6500 lbs. I would suggest a enclosed V nose with ramp door and nice to have 2 side doors. Preferably torsion axle suspension, no springs to give trouble, and preferably 5000 lb axles as opposed to 3500 lb. Aluminum frame is lighter so easier to pull but more expensive to buy. Enclosed gives you full protection being towed behind the motorhome, and you got a garage for the car while it is parked wherever you stop. There are low and high roof models but you don't need the height for the Vette and the lower the less wind resistance. A flat deck doesn't give the protection from stuff flying up from the tires unless you build a front wall to deflect the stones etc. I have a 26' V nose 4 door and love it.

IM001478.JPG

IM001482.JPG

IM001472.JPG

Last edited:
Mine is a 22’ H&H with a steel frame and torsion axles. Need a pretty good tow vehicle but your motorhome would pull it easy. It’s a bit of a myth that aluminum trailers are easier to pull.
Yes a lower powered truck will move them from a stop quicker but at speed there is no difference as with a high enclosed trailer it’s wind your battling against after 30 MPH , not mass.
Mine pulls beautifully. It was 12k new 10 years ago.
You however probably don’t need a trailer quite that big and as you are already battling the wind with the motor home an aluminum trailer makes sense for you as back there it would be in your slip. So the stop and go advantage of the weight makes sense for you.
Michael is 100% right about the side doors. Makes life way more pleasant getting the car in and out. Mine also doubles as a garage for the Sleds and RZR.
Good hunting and consider new. Unless you want to be prepared to overhaul lighting / brakes / running gear / wheel bearings.
I hate breaking down and constantly fixing trailers when I’m supposed to having a good time.

Good hunting and consider new. Unless you want to be prepared to overhaul lighting / brakes / running gear / wheel bearings.
I hate breaking down and constantly fixing trailers when I’m supposed to having a good time.

I have come to the conclusion that there can be nothing on a trailer that is not an easy fix on the side of the highway. I see so many people doing it on a regular basis.:banghead::Biggrin:

I really appreciate everybodys comments. Definite food for thought. I like the advice of new vs used. I too hate breakdowns.
.......depending on how soon you need the trailer , new is the best , but there are deals that pop up too used ones on kijiji etc . I was watching for about 3 months and just got really lucky when I found mine 2 years ago. It's a 2011, 22' plus 4' V nose , 4 doors , torsion axles, upgraded ( 5 ) 235/85/16 on fancy wheels , aluminum shelving on the wall, never had a car in it, made one trip to Lethbridge with a quad inside and otherwise just sat and used for storage, virtually brand new, I basically stole it for 8 grand , he just wanted it gone so not to cut grass around it anymore. Even put an ad out " wanted " and never know who will call . 2 months ago I picked up another look alike only 7x14 V nose for 3500 . Deals are out there , just gotta keep watching.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.