Glenn

Casual User
Sep 27, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1982 Corvette
Province
NL
My car dies when ac is turned on and then fails to start as if the battery is dead then after about 10 minutes it starts right up any suggestions .

Do you get a battery light on the dash while the car is running? are the lights dimming when the headlights come on? Check the battery terminals and make sure they are clean and if it is an open battery, check the water level is correct. Could most likely be your alternator or weak battery.
Can you turn the AC compressor under the hood by hand, maybe the compressor seized.(but then the belt would be squealing or smoking)
Also my old volvo 850 Idle control valve. IAC that got gunked up and needed cleaning once a year with brake fluid. (It controls idle when different accessories are turned on) I am not sure if the 82 Vette has one, maybe other members can pitch in on this, but this could be the issue the IAC

Do you get a battery light on the dash while the car is running? are the lights dimming when the headlights come on? Check the battery terminals and make sure they are clean and if it is an open battery, check the water level is correct. Could most likely be your alternator or weak battery.
Can you turn the AC compressor under the hood by hand, maybe the compressor seized.(but then the belt would be squealing or smoking)
Also my old volvo 850 Idle control valve. IAC that got gunked up and needed cleaning once a year with brake fluid. (It controls idle when different accessories are turned on) I am not sure if the 82 Vette has one, maybe other members can pitch in on this, but this could be the issue the IAC
Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread