Malcolm, the LS engines in the C5 an up Corvettes all use Mobil 1 as specified by GM. Goes in clean comes out dirty so I guess it works. If you have been using the Castrol in your engine probably no reason to change. Castrol has a great reputation.

How is the weather down there in Nova Scotia?

Reactions: Shayne
I was using Amsoil Zrod in My C3, it is formulated for older engines that need higher ZDP levels than modern spec engines require. Zinc and Phosphorous help protect the cam lobes and are especially important in higher lift applications. The older oil spec called for 1000 to 1200 ppm ZDP, newer oils contain 600 to 700 ppm, to reduce poisoning of the catalytic convertors.
There are different brands out there that are similar,

Is that good oil and if so what makes it better. I have been using castrol.

Mobil 1 is good oil Malcolm.... and so is Castrol.... Is Mobil 1 better... Who knows... But GM started recommending Mobil 1 for the Corvettes in 1993 and every year since... Did the Mobil pres take the GM pres out for dinner and a hooker in 93? Maybe.... And if so, it worked. We are pretty much all Mobil 1 addicts on here now.... that little Mobil 1 sticker on the top of our oil fill caps probably helps too.... It's like Christmas and Birthday combined excitement here when Cdn Tire puts Mobil 1 on sale....
:Party:

Don't thank me Murray.... Thank that monstrous Funk and Wagnall they call Google.... I was surfing and reading about oil when I had my C6 and stumbled upon that fact.... It's amazing how my brain can store basically useless information from years back but 5 times a day I can't remember where I left my cell phone ..... There.... That ought to get everyone under the age of 50 Googling what Funk and Wagnall is?
:rofl:

Malcolm, the LS engines in the C5 an up Corvettes all use Mobil 1 as specified by GM. Goes in clean comes out dirty so I guess it works. If you have been using the Castrol in your engine probably no reason to change. Castrol has a great reputation.

How is the weather down there in Nova Scotia?

I notice that on the new C7 (2017) dry sump engines (not sure about Z06) they are specifying the new GM branded semi-synthetic. Mobile must have with held some sponsorship or something. Perhaps Mobile makes the new GM branded product. Who knows what goes into those decisions.

Picked up two 4.4 + 1 L jugs today at CTC. What I found interesting was the sale items were not in the automotive section, not in the oil section either. There were however 4.4 L jugs with a sale tag on them for $35.98. The real sale was $3.00 cheaper for more oil.

You just have to keep an eye and hope you get the best deal. Just found it odd.

Weather is awesome today,around 10 and sunny. Supposed to get cold for weekend.As far as oil should I be adding zink for that old original engine of mine?

In my Chevelle, I would use EOS (Engine oil supplement) from the dealership to make sure there was enough zinc that it wouldn't flatten the cam. The plan was to convert the motor to a full roller, but then sold the Chevelle so I could have a garage. :( and :)

In my Chevelle, I would use EOS (Engine oil supplement) from the dealership to make sure there was enough zinc that it wouldn't flatten the cam. The plan was to convert the motor to a full roller, but then sold the Chevelle so I could have a garage. :( and :)
So do I just go to the GM dealership and ask for EOS or is there another name for it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.