Cadder61

Casual User
Jun 20, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1975 CORVETTE L82
Greetings, apologize if this may have been covered in previous threads -was not able to find if it was.
In getting started on a long term restoration of my 75 coupe, I am trying to determine what is original and what has been modified by previous owners (case in point, the cowl induction wiring was removed as well as the hood seal and adapter ring on the air cleaner). I know from previous employment (was a GM parts person for 20 years in the 80s and 90s) that Canadian cars were often built to different emissions standards than the US. Did this happen with Vettes or were the numbers sold here too small to warrant a change? Did Canadian Vettes have A.I.R pumps in 75? What other emissions were on the cars? I ask because it appears that most were removed (as was the catalytic converter) from mine. My exhaust manifolds have no AIR holes so not sure if they are original or not. Not necessarily looking to put controls back on (more HP is a good thing), but just want to figure out where I am starting from. Can anyone offer assistance?

Last edited:
...might be worth while getting a 1975 parts book and a assembly manual and see what it shows. Any of the decals still on the car ?, might be a emissions decal was stuck someplace under the hood that showed hose routing etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
The original emissions sticker is still there but no hose routing (seem to remember those started showing up in the 80s). And a parts book... Arrgh. I saved a couple of those when new replacements came in (for the "I wish" factor) but that was 30 years ago - long since gone. Never thought I might actually own a 75 now...

Hi CADDER61.. Welcome to the CCForums.
I bought my ‘75 in 1982 from a GM dealer.
I tracked down prior owners and one had removed the AIR pump and brackets, etc and had them in box. He gave them to me for free.
The exhaust manifolds that were on the car did NOT have AIR fittings.
I do not know if he had changed them out? Good question.?
I removed them pretty quick back in ‘82 and put on headers.
Here are some stickers that belong on the car as well.
I never did see an emissions hose routing diagram for this car.
My car is originally an L48 but had an L82 hood added by PO...he even had the flapper for me in the box of parts. But my car did not have the gas pedal switch or wiring for the flapper in the hood. This confused me when I first bought the car until I realized it was not an original L82... ‘T’ in fifth digit if L82. ‘J’ if L48.

I can’t suggest enough that if you are going to be working on this car that you NEED to get an Assembly Manual from a Corvette supplier.
They are an invaluable tool as to how things come apart, and more importantly how they go back together.
Let me know if I can help with other details.
I have a couple of GM parts books as well.

Where are you located?
B5E0EC41-E64D-45B8-B6C0-0890192C6734.jpeg
CD97DEF9-D98B-4730-B349-0EED16626F90.jpeg
B4081F92-E1DD-4F73-9056-1F274A148069.jpeg

Graham

I took a quick peek in my 53-82 dealer parts / illustration book and it shows air pumps starting in 1970 . Corvettes were built in the USA, not Canada that I know of, and I doubt that any emission changes were made for cars shipped up here. Even the parts book says nothing about GM of Canada like other GM vehicles. Should not be hard to find a book like this and it will tell you all that was original on your '75.

IM002690.JPG

IM002691.JPG

IM002693.JPG

IM002692.JPG

Thanks for the replies and the pics, answered most of my questions. Put an Assembly manual on my wishlist for the next order from parts supplier and found an on-line copy of the parts book (not nearly as handy as the real paper version but at least usable for some reference - brought back a lot of memories). Have the service manuals on order already so the library is growing.
Picked up some of the maintenance parts from a local dealer last night (filters etc - I'm a believer in the "keep your GM all GM" schtick) and found I could still remember the GM part numbers from 30 years ago - now if I could remember what I had for breakfast...😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.