YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Our 2016 Michelin PS2s are Nitrogen filled. Our 2017 Michelins PS2s have Compressed Air. Even though the Nitrogen tire pressures are remaining more stable for us, it sure is sooooo much easier servicing with an Air Compressor than to find Nitrogen and I am thinking of swapping it out in our 2016 this Spring. I was told by a dealer tech to just let the Nitrogen out and refill with my Air Compressor. I like to think this is as simple as this sounds ... but I am also fine asking what might be a rather simple-stupid question and reach out for the opinion of all my fellow OCD (Obsessive Corvette Disorder) colleagues here ...

Last edited:
The air you breath is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% of plenty of different good and bad things. Nitrogen react less that oxygen so less variations in tire pressure. On the life of the tires, your saving on tire life will probably be about the same amount of money spent to have them inflate with it. Dont bother removing it, simply fill what you need with compressed air UNLESS you have to deflate a tire completely (ie: fix a flat) then you may experience a difference in tire pressure of this one with the others that could result in a slight pulling, but for adding 2 or 3 psi in the spring, no problems.

Stephane :Cheers2:

Unless you are worried about tires inflating and grip level just put air in as needed. You don't need to swap out the Nitrogen for air as stated above. Nitrogen holds less moisture in it than air. The moisture is what expands as it heats up in the tire not the nitrogen or oxygen or anything else in the air to much of an extent. That is why racing teams use nitrogen to control the inflation during high heat situations. My vette tires with nitrogen still in them gain pressure by about 20% of what my Camaro tires (same tire brand/type) did at the same starting pressures on regular driving and I used Nitrogen when racing back in the day. It was no big deal for me to go to a welding supply store and buy a small bottle of nitrogen to use to top up tires when needed.

Is it required for regular street/highway driving? Nope, not at all. Is it helpful if you want to push your car really hard all the time or track it? It helps a lot in that case.

My dealer fills mine for free. No sure if that is the norm or noty

My dealer did mine for free as well when I had the car in for servicing last fall. But I am guessing Spence with no R is thinking more about being able to top up a slightly low tire by himself when needed and I understand that concern. Not all of us are retired with nothing to do but drive to our dealers on a whim twice a week like some others of us.
o_O:Pistolsmiley::Smuggrin:

Reactions: YFCvii
Thank you everyone. I am Physics. Learning and Relearning aspects of Biology and Chemistry in my 50's between, the courses of a High School Daughter, caring for aged Family Members and these Corvettes. My Nitrogen Servicing Purchasing Dealer is 200 miles away. I still struggle deciding on a Servicing Dealer in Calgary with their bewildering inquiries ("oh did you buy them here?") on why I would ever travel 200 miles to buy 2 Corvettes ... and then respond like it's not suppose to matter to them as they want me to book a hand-over Service appointment. Nobody here appears to have "expensive-to-operate" Nitrogen and it makes me shiver taking it to some of the "Nitrogen Depots" where the eyes of $15/hr employees pop out of their skulls when they see what might be soon to-be-theirs "to enjoy". Sure is looking like I going to enjoy a leisurely cruise and try our Eric's Dealership in Red Deer. Last Spring, I enjoyed a cruise back to my Purchase Dealer up North only to find that "the equipment" has failed and that they were unable to "top up" the Nitrogen. So I let it go until now ... and the task is upcoming - hopefully just around the corner ... Compressed Air top up appears the answer with 1 Helium filled balloon for the Driver to suck in ... Cheers :thumbs:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
........The moisture is what expands as it heats up in the tire not the nitrogen or oxygen or anything else in the air to much of an extent. That is why racing teams use nitrogen to control the inflation during high heat situations....
[/QUOTE]

This is why I fill my tires with winter air instead of summer air. :rofl:

This is why I fill my tires with winter air instead of summer air. :rofl:

Oh awesome Riley ... you just blended responses to my tire tread with the "caring for aged family members" aspect of my having to relearn Biology & Chemistry.
I now have what I need to advocate getting my family elders to get up and go for Winter walks - and get that "Winter Air" in them ... :oldman:

Last edited:
Reactions: Riley P
Oh awesome Riley ... you just blended responses to my tire tread with the "caring for aged family members" aspect of my having to relearn Biology & Chemistry.
I now have what I need to advocate getting my family elders to get up and go for Winter walks - and get that "Winter Air" in them ... :oldman:

Exactly. And because you have winter air you get less grip so you need to add a can of downforce to compensate.

OK "downforce" ... got it :thumbs: ... I'll get them to wear a hat with a rim ... ;)

air is fine,

now Spencer what is the name of the dealership and your code to get service done maybe my tires need a little nitrogen I mean air in the spring

no

air is fine it is a scam unless you are on the track,

they need a different owners manual for those of us that do not track (but do burnouts) our cars

Jeff

OK "downforce" ... got it :thumbs: ... I'll get them to wear a hat with a rim ... ;)

4c9b07f0-192d-4ad8-b602-c496c6a16908.jpg

air is fine it is a scam unless you are on the track,
they need a different owners manual for those of us that do not track (but do burnouts) our cars

Thanks Jeff ... no scam for me as Nitrogen came at no cost ...
It's just the effort that is required for Nitrogen Perpetuity and finding the stuff is becoming near impossible ...
so I am becoming "quite done" with worrying about any advocated benefits of Nitrogen.
As you know in your career Jeff ... time is money ... and I value what little time I have outside of my "normal".
Plays into the tune that many know me for in that I am about doing as many things "in person" to know faces and names.

... I'm thinking that you might need an Operating System update or a Reboot next time I see you
(by pressing your home button and power button at the same time until you see an "apple") ...
you seem to have this perpetual glitch about standing still and going no where in a smoke show burnout ...

... bring on Spring ... eh Jeff ?

Reactions: ddgermann
Exactly. And because you have winter air you get less grip so you need to add a can of downforce to compensate.

Don't buy any cans of Downforce Spence. Randy has a whole stockpile of downforce with him at all times. Or was that bullsh1t he has.... :laughatyou:

I shouldn't say that about Pep... especially when his signature picture is a sweet looking car.... even if that blue one is partially in the way.... :rolleyes:

My question has always been, how did they get ALL the air out of the tires before putting the nitrogen in? It was a bit of a money maker scheme for a while a few years ago. Our car has the N2 valve caps, so I assume that a previous owner had the tires nitrogen filled. In the spring, the tires usually are down a few pounds and I just top them up from my garage air compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread