Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
So, we know there is a ZR1 coming. The top Camaro right now is the ZL1-1LE. Ford has to still come out with a GT500, which I am certain should put perform the ZL1.
So, this begs the question, before Chev comes out with the Z28, do you think they are waiting to see what the GT500 will pack, just in case the Z28 will need some tweaking. Or, do you think they are simply waiting for the ZR1 to come out so they can poach the engine?

Poach! The GT500 rumour mill hovers at 740 +/- ..... I can't believe the ZR1 would be under that and I'm betting it's over by a chunk. Don't ask me the specific gravity or the capacity of a chunk, but if it is a full chunk, the ZR1 output will be much closer to 800 than it is to 740. JMO.... :Biggrin:

Poach! The GT500 rumour mill hovers at 740 +/- ..... I can't believe the ZR1 would be under that and I'm betting it's over by a chunk. Don't ask me the specific gravity or the capacity of a chunk, but if it is a full chunk, the ZR1 output will be much closer to 800 than it is to 740. JMO.... :Biggrin:

Agreed and hoping for 800 plus ZR1 as less makes the $$$ upgrade from 3LZ Z07 Z06 to ZR1 almost pointless with the factory endorsed Calloway option available for 25k
The upcoming GT500 is also very interesting. Can't wait to see what they are coming out with for weight, aero and suspension for this car. It may be a force to recon with for all the GM and Dodge lines including the Corvette but especially the Camaro and Hellcats.
Great time to be a sports car guy! Or Gal! :thumbs:

I find it fascinating that technology, sometimes good...sometimes not so good, has allowed engines to produce incredible horsepower, low emissions and fuel economy all in one package.

I remember the smog hampered motors of the mid seventies where it is likely the starter motors had more actual horsepower than the engine. These kinds of horsepower numbers are higher than the high tech race car engines of old.

What really gets me, is that I have the Vette that has great HP#'s for its time and gets phenomenal fuel mileage imo, and the wifes Benz that has almost 300hp, and still averages 5.2l/100km, but yet my 2016 Chev half ton can't seem to average better than 18litres/100km and is the most gutless thing I've driven in years! I'm not expecting miracles, I realize its a truck and a 4x4(that's only in 2wd during summer), but come on, there have to be ways to improve this from the factory! This is my 5th GM/Chev 1/2 ton in the last 11 years, and they all had 3 things in common, they all had the 5.3, they were all gutless wonders and none of them could do better than 16-17litres/100km.

Reactions: ddgermann
The technology involved in engines today is beyond comprehension to say the very least. Modern computers and engineering impresses the little grey cells right outta my noggin.
My first V8 was a 5.0l in a 1984 Z28 and I think it made something like 130hp. Which was quite good for its time. 2 years later I bought little f*** Ranger with a 2.9l. It was the first year for the fuel injection and it made around 170hp with way better mileage than the old Z28 could ever wish for. Technology has not even paused for a breath since then.

I like the Camaro...dare say even impressed with it.
Ruff is right that it is a Camaro and people who are looking for a Corvette, aren’t looking for a Camaro. On the same note, people looking for a Camaro, aren’t looking for a Corvette for their own reasons such as needing more than 2 seats, having never been in a Corvette and not knowing better. :D
But in all seriousness, I like that the Camaro is challenging the Corvette for performance numbers. This way it’ll push the Corvette to improve itself and in the end, we get a better car.

I like the Camaro...dare say even impressed with it.
Ruff is right that it is a Camaro and people who are looking for a Corvette, aren’t looking for a Camaro. On the same note, people looking for a Camaro, aren’t looking for a Corvette for their own reasons such as needing more than 2 seats, having never been in a Corvette and not knowing better. :D
But in all seriousness, I like that the Camaro is challenging the Corvette for performance numbers. This way it’ll push the Corvette to improve itself and in the end, we get a better car.

I had a couple of Camaros and had a load of fun in them. The driving experience is different but they are bought and owned for different reaasons than the Corvette. I like that we are getting improvements across the range of cars and that they are affordable... somewhat. AND they look good. Unfortunately I think the huge improvements in the Camaro is why we are getting a mid-engine C8. The top-of-the-line Camaro is really knocking on the doors of the C7 in both performance and handling (which I am still having a hard time coming to grips with). The new Camaros will not be able to come close to the C8 handling-wise just based on the physics of the center of rotational mass.

Sigh... It will all be for naught anyways when we are forced into self-driving electric conveyances

Reactions: ddgermann
I simply love the fact that an auto maker, in this day in age, is competing two of their performance vehicles against each other, rather than just worrying about the competition. This will only make both models, and the manufacturer, stronger in the end!

The top-of-the-line Camaro is really knocking on the doors of the C7 in both performance and handling (which I am still having a hard time coming to grips with).

And price. The only reason Corvette is now in my radar is because of the price increase across the board for muscle cars. I was looking at the Camaro SS and realised for 15k more I can get the Vette. I"m sure people shop the other way too 'Save 15k and buy a Camaro which is a Vette in a Camaro's skin'.

At what point does additional power become too much power that an owner will never take advantage of? I think I'd be terrified of driving one of these new monsters. It also seems there is no law of diminishing returns...or we are nowhere near it until the environmentalists step in. Just imagine how much power we would have if we didn't have environmental laws. Like 'The Grand Tour' episode where the Nissan SUV left the Bugatti Veyron behind. Makes you wonder what that beast has that the top of the line muscle cars don't.

And price. The only reason Corvette is now in my radar is because of the price increase across the board for muscle cars. I was looking at the Camaro SS and realised for 15k more I can get the Vette. I"m sure people shop the other way too 'Save 15k and buy a Camaro which is a Vette in a Camaro's skin'.

At what point does additional power become too much power that an owner will never take advantage of? I think I'd be terrified of driving one of these new monsters. It also seems there is no law of diminishing returns...or we are nowhere near it until the environmentalists step in. Just imagine how much power we would have if we didn't have environmental laws. Like 'The Grand Tour' episode where the Nissan SUV left the Bugatti Veyron behind. Makes you wonder what that beast has that the top of the line muscle cars don't.

gymrat. I have driven the Camaro SS 425 hp and the Camaro ZL1 580 hp and as much as I could close my eyes and imagine these were either of my Corvettes with just a different skin, it just wouldn't happen. And trust me, I've been asked by both owners how they compared to either my C6 or my C7. Not to dis Camaros but the camaro is just not a Corvette and maybe I sound like a purist but face it. This is a Corvette forum and we LOVE our Vettes.

As far as the additional power goes, We are way beyond having power that 'some' owners will never take advantage of. My MDX has more power than my wife ever uses. That being said, I use every bit of the power in my Corvette lots (and in her MDX occasionally too...lol). And I am not a track person. But when I turn my Stingray onto the highway, I quite often punch the go pedal.... Do my 0 to 100 in under 4 seconds.... back off the gas when I reach 140 ? or so.... but never back off of the smile that doing that puts on my face...
When I need to pass a car and drop 3 gears and punch the pedal.... again I'm using all the power I have at my disposal, if only for a few brief seconds... When I am on a twisty mountain road and totally ignore the corner approaching and suggested speed signs, again... the smile is worth whatever the cost.... All these things, plus the head turns every time I drive my car assures me I made the right decision....

Don't be terrified of these monsters no matter what the horsepower... They are only as dangerous as the linkage between the seat and the gas pedal.... But they are as much, and more fun than you can imagine.... JMO of course... :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.