Jul 1, 2017
VetteCoins
Interesting take in this article.

Finally, how long is the C7 for this world? Rumors have it that the car will be Corvette’s front engine, rear drive “swan song” and will fade away afterwards er the mid-engine model debuts. Other reports say the car will soldier on until 2021 or so.

6B863EE0-4752-4283-97F2-BDBFD4180C17.jpeg

What say you? Do you think the Corvette can rely solely on a mid-engine car to reliably sell 40k copies a year like the C7? If not, there will be a lot of explaining to do at GM headquarters. We’ve always said that we think the Camaro is being groomed to take over the C7’s place. What do you think? Let us know your thoughts.

The whole article is here:
http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/locked-and-loaded-2018-corvette-zr1-specs-nailed-down/

I know some of us have spoke the naughty words which invited some strong voices disregarding this possibly. But here is an author with the same opinion. I don’t know the guy but he is pretty convinced this is why the Camaro is coming up in all aspects of the performance ranks so aggressively. The amazing new A10 is not available in the 2018 Z06 Corvette but is available in the 2017 ZL1 Camero?
Details on that in the story below.

Chevy puts quick-shifting 10-speed automatic transmission in 640-hp Camaro ZL1

Maybe my 17Z is going to be a dinosaur car sooner than I thought.
Guys I love Cameros. I’ve driven the wheels off a few of them. But as an Owner if 3 Z06 Corvettes... with now sitting in the Z07 version.... I’m having a hard time believing a Camero will match the feel and performance I’m getting off on now in the Z as these cars are simply in a different class. No offence intended.

So perhaps corvette prices to drive a high performance Camero with aero and brakes..... or a base C8 Corvette at a lower price and performance than the hopped up camero.
And finally a hopped up C8 Corvette in the price range of rock stars....

Is this what’s coming???? Hmmmm
I guess I better get my camo on a go drive a ZL1 Camero just to see how it feels.

D. :Ack2:

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeysZ06
I think a mid-engine Vette will be a short-production run special model to satisfy pent up demand. There is no on-going demand for a car like that, IMO. I have no no interest in a mid-engine Corvette, and I think many feel the same way.

Classic Corvette configuration will live on.

Reactions: ddgermann
I think a mid-engine Vette will be a short-production run special model to satisfy pent up demand. There is no on-going demand for a car like that, IMO. I have no no interest in a mid-engine Corvette, and I think many feel the same way.

Classic Corvette configuration will live on.

Interesting viewpoint. So are you suggesting GM has a plan to test the market and are prepared to pull out of the mid engine design if strong sales are not there. That would also suggest they have a RWD C9 already on the boards?
It would be great to be a fly on the wall in some of their meetings.... :rolleyes:

Eric is right... this drama is great entertainment if nothing else. I’m hoping for April.

The only real street cred the mid engine corvette has is that it was Zora’s dream. Price will determine how many they sell if they make Corvettes mid engine. I’m sure people will hate it at first, like the C7 tail lights. Then it’ll grow on us, then just become part of the Corvette story.......should GM actually be planning on discontinuing the front engine version.
My biggest thought for dumping the front engine corvette and going to mid engine, as I’ve stated before, is that it’s easier to turn into a hybrid and power the front wheels with electric motors.

I like Camaros and love Corvettes ...
I find it hard going forward without learning from the past.
Remembering the Fiero and DeLorean in my driving-lifetime,
makes it so difficult for this optimist to embrace speculation and this Corvette unveil.
I will definitely reverb ... "pretty cool".
With selfish hope that Owners of this Corvette will be cruising with us,
will it be that we have to cruise up front and the C8's behind? LOL

Last edited:
So I had the 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible which I traded in for the 2017 Corvette Z06. I loved the Camaro and my first post on this forum was whether I should buy the Z06 or not (whether I will notice any significant differences between the two cars). People on this forum told me that 2 are very different cars. And boy oh boy were they right. This is a completely different ball game, literally world's apart. Camaro is a good sports car but the Z06 is supercar territory. So to answer your question, I don't think the Camaro will ever replace the Corvette. One is a 4 seater sports car, the other is a purpose built 2 seater sports/supercar...Even though my Camaro was fully loaded, there were plastic bits everywhere...In comparison, my Z06 is a 1LZ and almost everything is leather/soft to the touch...The looks you get everywhere is unbelievable...The only things I miss about the Camaro are 4 seats (times when my parents are in town and I want to take them out together) and the blind spot monitoring...That's about it...

Also, I am really excited about the mid-engined Corvette...just saying :p

Interesting viewpoint. So are you suggesting GM has a plan to test the market and are prepared to pull out of the mid engine design if strong sales are not there. That would also suggest they have a RWD C9 already on the boards?
It would be great to be a fly on the wall in some of their meetings.... :rolleyes:
I mean really I have no idea, but I think it would make sense for GM to do a 'Ford GT' type halo car once in a while, which would be mid-engine, and just keep the Corvette going as it always has.

So I had the 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible which I traded in for the 2017 Corvette Z06. I loved the Camaro and my first post on this forum was whether I should buy the Z06 or not (whether I will notice any significant differences between the two cars). People on this forum told me that 2 are very different cars. And boy oh boy were they right. This is a completely different ball game, literally world's apart. Camaro is a good sports car but the Z06 is supercar territory. So to answer your question, I don't think the Camaro will ever replace the Corvette. One is a 4 seater sports car, the other is a purpose built 2 seater sports/supercar...Even though my Camaro was fully loaded, there were plastic bits everywhere...In comparison, my Z06 is a 1LZ and almost everything is leather/soft to the touch...The looks you get everywhere is unbelievable...The only things I miss about the Camaro are 4 seats (times when my parents are in town and I want to take them out together) and the blind spot monitoring...That's about it...

Also, I am really excited about the mid-engined Corvette...just saying :p

Great post Karam! Experience talking :thumbs:

Reactions: Riley P and Karam
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.