Weird poll as there is zero chance it will be an NA plant. Zero.
I wouldn't bet the house on it. I would be in favor of the NA engine myself: great sound, no turbo lag and one (2) less things to get serviced and at 600 HP or so - crazy fast. Ferrari 458 one of favorite cars of all time - the spyder of course.:Cheers2: One car I'd luv to own; but, my wife would go crazy on me!!!

Reactions: ccltj
I wouldn't bet the house on it. I would be in favor of the NA engine myself: great sound, no turbo lag and one (2) less things to get serviced and at 600 HP or so - crazy fast. Ferrari 458 one of favorite cars of all time - the spyder of course.:Cheers2: One car I'd luv to own; but, my wife would go crazy on me!!!

The Shelby GT350 has a flat-plane crank and 5.2L of naturally-aspirated power. It's a 32-valve DOHC engine. It's rated at 526 bhp.

I suppose with another 0.3L of displacement, if the Z06 engine is going to be a 32-valve DOHC, 550hp is certainly attainable. 600... maybe?

Another comparison: The Ferrari F136 I, the engine Ford used to build the Voodoo found in the GT350. It is 4.3L and produces 454 hp.

Hmmmm... Ok, lets do some maths.

If the Ferrari has 454 hp @ 4.3L, that's 105.6 hp/L.

The Ford with 526 hp @ 5.2L is 101.1 hp/L.

So, if the Z06 is naturally-aspirated, one can assume it could have around 556 to 581 bhp. Since it's American tech vs. Italian, it would probably have closer to the former.

This all sounds fine and great, but 560 hp is not a giant leap from the 495 bhp in the Stingray.

That being said, historically, the Z06 has been naturally-aspirated (NA), only switching to forced-induction (FI) in 2015. This all appears to fall in line with what customers wanted at the times. The closest European and American competitors (In my opinion, the Porsche 911 Turbo and Dodge Viper) were producing similar power figures for each year the Z06 was released. It would make sense that the Z06 will maintain this 'relative to competition' formula. How much power the competition has in 2021 (or 2022??) may dictate the power of the Z06, and thus possibly deciding whether or not it will have FI.

For 2020, Porsche's power output maxes out at 540 hp in the 911 Turbo. Dodge no longer makes the Viper, so we'll have to go to the next closest thing: The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 or GT500 at 526 hp and 760 hp respectively. What will GM attempt to compete with? Will they be content with the mid-500 hp and stay with the competition, or do they want to run away with the horsepower war that took place in the 2000's and 2010's? Do we have enough power now, or do we need to keep getting more?

Personally, I imagine GM will not keep pushing the power envelope. The new, 495 hp Stingray out-drags the current Z06 with its 650 hp in the 0-60 mph test. Boat-loads of power aren't necessary when comparing to the competition. It would make sense if they make it NA. The C5 and C6 Z06 didn't have gobs of power compared to the base model Corvette, as they were more about handling than brute power. As the Z06 is meant to be the "track-ready" Corvette, it would be nice to see them continue this trend. Yes, it would be shocking to see a generation of Corvette to lose power from the past generation, but at 580 hp, a C8 Corvette would likely increase 0-60 mph times to match or beat the C7 ZR1. Isn't that all you need?

When it comes to insane power, let us wait and see what they do with the ZR-1, which has always been the king of power.

Data:

YEARBASE POWERZ06 POWER% INCREASEEuropeAmerica
1962250 hp360 hp44%
2002350 hp405 hp16%Porsche 911 Turbo - 444 hpDodge Viper - 450 hp
2006400 hp505 hp26%Porsche 911 Turbo - 473 hpDodge Viper - 510 hp
2015460 hp650 hp41%Porsche 911 Turbo S - 552 hpDodge Viper - 640 hp

• Agree
Reactions: Gilles27
The C8 mid engine layout makes horsepower numbers seem disappointing because of how well it works, most of my friends look surprised when I mention I have 495HP they assume it should be like 600 or 700 Hp, I hope the Z06 goes back to NA to focus on lighter weight and a track weapon

The Shelby GT350 has a flat-plane crank and 5.2L of naturally-aspirated power. It's a 32-valve DOHC engine. It's rated at 526 bhp.

I suppose with another 0.3L of displacement, if the Z06 engine is going to be a 32-valve DOHC, 550hp is certainly attainable. 600... maybe?

Another comparison: The Ferrari F136 I, the engine Ford used to build the Voodoo found in the GT350. It is 4.3L and produces 454 hp.

Hmmmm... Ok, lets do some maths.

If the Ferrari has 454 hp @ 4.3L, that's 105.6 hp/L.

The Ford with 526 hp @ 5.2L is 101.1 hp/L.

So, if the Z06 is naturally-aspirated, one can assume it could have around 556 to 581 bhp. Since it's American tech vs. Italian, it would probably have closer to the former.

This all sounds fine and great, but 560 hp is not a giant leap from the 495 bhp in the Stingray.

That being said, historically, the Z06 has been naturally-aspirated (NA), only switching to forced-induction (FI) in 2015. This all appears to fall in line with what customers wanted at the times. The closest European and American competitors (In my opinion, the Porsche 911 Turbo and Dodge Viper) were producing similar power figures for each year the Z06 was released. It would make sense that the Z06 will maintain this 'relative to competition' formula. How much power the competition has in 2021 (or 2022??) may dictate the power of the Z06, and thus possibly deciding whether or not it will have FI.

For 2020, Porsche's power output maxes out at 540 hp in the 911 Turbo. Dodge no longer makes the Viper, so we'll have to go to the next closest thing: The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 or GT500 at 526 hp and 760 hp respectively. What will GM attempt to compete with? Will they be content with the mid-500 hp and stay with the competition, or do they want to run away with the horsepower war that took place in the 2000's and 2010's? Do we have enough power now, or do we need to keep getting more?

Personally, I imagine GM will not keep pushing the power envelope. The new, 495 hp Stingray out-drags the current Z06 with its 650 hp in the 0-60 mph test. Boat-loads of power aren't necessary when comparing to the competition. It would make sense if they make it NA. The C5 and C6 Z06 didn't have gobs of power compared to the base model Corvette, as they were more about handling than brute power. As the Z06 is meant to be the "track-ready" Corvette, it would be nice to see them continue this trend. Yes, it would be shocking to see a generation of Corvette to lose power from the past generation, but at 580 hp, a C8 Corvette would likely increase 0-60 mph times to match or beat the C7 ZR1. Isn't that all you need?

When it comes to insane power, let us wait and see what they do with the ZR-1, which has always been the king of power.

Data:

YEARBASE POWERZ06 POWER% INCREASEEuropeAmerica
1962250 hp360 hp44%
2002350 hp405 hp16%Porsche 911 Turbo - 444 hpDodge Viper - 450 hp
2006400 hp505 hp26%Porsche 911 Turbo - 473 hpDodge Viper - 510 hp
2015460 hp650 hp41%Porsche 911 Turbo S - 552 hpDodge Viper - 640 hp
NA will be at least 600Hp & comparing 0 - 60 times with Z51 & Z06- the Z06 would be crazy fast vs any c7 Z06 at 650HP or so. So, a NA not out of the question, I do not think?

Reactions: ccltj
NA will be at least 600Hp & comparing 0 - 60 times with Z51 & Z06- the Z06 would be crazy fast vs any c7 Z06 at 650HP or so. So, a NA not out of the question, I do not think?

NA certainly isn't out of the question, but what would the power output be? The car doesn't *need* over 600 hp to out-perform the C7 ZR-1.

Sure, the most powerful NA engine in a production car makes 132 hp/litre, which would put the 5.5L V8 in the Corvette at 725 hp, but that's on an Italian supercar that's built for the track and doesn't have a 5-year powertrain warranty. How much power can GM make in their Corvette while keeping it reliable?

The GT350 has 105 hp/litre. Porsche is 113 hp/litre. I imagine the Corvette would be in this realm, so 580 to 620? Either way, it's going to be a monster of a car!

Reactions: turbozig
NA certainly isn't out of the question, but what would the power output be? The car doesn't *need* over 600 hp to out-perform the C7 ZR-1.

Sure, the most powerful NA engine in a production car makes 132 hp/litre, which would put the 5.5L V8 in the Corvette at 725 hp, but that's on an Italian supercar that's built for the track and doesn't have a 5-year powertrain warranty. How much power can GM make in their Corvette while keeping it reliable?

The GT350 has 105 hp/litre. Porsche is 113 hp/litre. I imagine the Corvette would be in this realm, so 580 to 620? Either way, it's going to be a monster of a car!
Agreed. Quite frankly for the driving I do, my C7 has more than enough power and handles quite well as well - not as good as with Z51 pkg. I am sure; but, I do not drive under any conditions where I would notice the difference. The C8 will be an awesome car at 495 and handle even better.

Reactions: ABC

I'm going to poll with turbo as well. Little trickier to drive on the track with two separate torque curves but they have come a long way with turbos and tuning. It's not like the Z06 or the ZR1 or whatever they will call it will be starving for power before the turbo starts making boost anyway. As far as maintenance goes, hopefully they make it like the turbo on my 7.3. 200k and never had a problem with it. (touch wood)...

Does anyone think GM would lower the HP on the Z06 when it was 650? Personally I cant see them doing that. Sales come from increasing HP every new model. Just my opinion.

Does anyone think GM would lower the HP on the Z06 when it was 650? Personally I cant see them doing that. Sales come from increasing HP every new model. Just my opinion.
You know as much as the next guy - which isn't much. 600 HP NA C8 would probably beat 0- 60 time vs the C7 Z06 by a lot. HP is great only if it improves performance. Just my opinion, for what that is worth, and, I would say, NOT much - LOL!!!

Reactions: kerry4
I still maintain a 5.5 L flat plane 32 valve engine would be the way to go. Quick revving, light and relatively simple compared to a turbo or supercharged engine. 600 hp seems at about the top end of this setup. Handling and speed combined would make this a world class sports car to beat.

Reactions: kerry4 and Sparro
I still maintain a 5.5 L flat plane 32 valve engine would be the way to go. Quick revving, light and relatively simple compared to a turbo or supercharged engine. 600 hp seems at about the top end of this setup. Handling and speed combined would make this a world class sports car to beat.
I wish I had the patience to wait for the Z06 but who knows when it will really be released? Could be one year or two years or.....

No one is suggesting this isn't what will be used, but will it be NA or FI?

Heres a question for the group. If anyones knows or has a good guess. Do you think when the Z06 comes out will it only be in the coupe or do you think a convertible will be available too? Since its more race oriented I wonder if it will only be the coupe version. GM is making some drastic changes to the Corvette lately.

Heres a question for the group. If anyones knows or has a good guess. Do you think when the Z06 comes out will it only be in the coupe or do you think a convertible will be available too? Since its more race oriented I wonder if it will only be the coupe version. GM is making some drastic changes to the Corvette lately.

My guess is it'll be both. The roof of the C8 Corvette adds minimal structural integrity and the convertible only adds 86 lbs to the entire kit.

Reactions: kerry4
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.