BANNED
Ontario You're a Regular
Jul 24, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2012 f 150
Province
ON
Will history be repeated once more with GM? Guess one has to wait on time. Well, the good news is that the assembly plant In Bowlin Green Kentucky is once more producing the almighty and long-awaited C8. The bad news is they don't stand any chance of producing all the pre-ordered C 8s this model year: From May 26th to Thursday, June 11th, 76 C8s were produced, with 700 more to ready for final quality inspection before being released; and a second shift is in the works to be implemented by July, 6th. ...And this is where quality will be in question. Yes, production will increase, but, at what cost?

Detroit has no choice in starting a second shift to cope with the overwhelming demand for this vehicle; for the Company is driven by vehicles that are pre-ordered as actually sold items to be delivered to dealerships for immediate payments. Customers who have short patience in a normal wait time will undoubtedly cancel their order; Thus leaving money on the table that GM has lost. This is a cardinal sin with the shareholders, as GMs management have already pre-forecasted their sales profitable approx dollar amounts to the shareholders on actual orders from their dealerships. Auto manufacturers have tried to shorten the wait time for customers from the initial sales rep at the dealership to drive off the lot by 2weeks. Yes, the C8 starts at under $60,000us but, one will drop at least $100k and with that money, there are other options for sports cars.

Corvette production from the C1 to the present C8 has never been a high number of vehicles produced when production is increased then the quality has always suffered. With all due respect for the assembly line workers at Bowlin Green, they have for the longest time worked at a very slow assembly speed throughout their 8 hours or shift schedules that management implements. I am not sure about the actual rate of final productions per hour my educated guess is about 15 units per hour or one every 4 minutes. Most assembly plants are producing vehicles 1 per minute some at a staggering rate of 75 per hour.
Training new line assembly workers are by fare a daunting task to achieve in a small amount of time, and as time is the essence for profitability some quality issues will be passed onto the dealerships to rectify. My advice is to the buyer, check your vehicle thoroughly and even take it for a test drive before finally signing the ownership documents. When buying a new house there is a predelivery inspection with the builder and the new owner before signing the release documents for the banks to pay the builder. As buying a vehicle being the second-largest purchase that one will do in a lifetime then this should have the same implications. Once signed you own it; try and get the builder to do repairs to the house you have bought within the year. Yes, almost impossible. Too many customers have been stuck with a lemon for a vehicle.

Iso

Reactions: Cruzin
I put my 5k down las August at my dealer and was told spring or summer of this year. Then it was fall of this year. Last week got an email that it will be spring of next year and it will be a 2021. Disappointing to say the least.

• Sad
Reactions: ddgermann
I put my 5k down las August at my dealer and was told spring or summer of this year. Then it was fall of this year. Last week got an email that it will be spring of next year and it will be a 2021. Disappointing to say the least.
When things don't change then they stay the same: GM will continually do what they are doing with their production schedules as long as customers are willing to wait for a C8 that takes almost two years for delivery. The only way one can change this ridiculous GMs attitude towards customers is by cancelling their orders. There is a recession looming on the USA/ Canada horizon. Why would you place 5K down when $100 would do the same?

Well lots to review here. I think the bottom line from the post by ISO is that you should always review the car you purchase and be happy with it before you take it off the lot. Having said that I am comfortable with GM warranty on their vehicles. So I for one am not worried.
The second shift is already fully trained and was producing 80 cars per shift in the time prior to the COVID shutdown. It is not a new shift and the people on it are not unfamiliar with the build process. They should hit the ground running starting July 6th. Given that Bowling Green Assembly produced 2,700 is cars prior to the shutdown, I think we have a reasonable idea on the quality coming off the line and aside from the odd criticism of fit and finish on the interior and body panel gaps on the outside, pretty normal minor stuff. The one oversized screw in the driver door appears to be the one tech issue that is being addressed by GM.
So not sure what smoking gun would be causing specific concern with the C8.
The car by all accounts has been fantastic by those who have had them in use. Have not seen one bad review or unhappy buyer review yet.
Right now the day shift running in BGA is proven they can hit 80 cars/day shift. I just hope they can hit at least 70/second shift. 150 cars per day will allow them to hit most if not all o f the 20K orders in the system by the new revised model year change date of end of November.
Also all of these 20K orders are "sold orders" meaning if the retail purchase walks away or cannot close the sale, then the dealership is on the hook for the car. GM is not taking any hit or loosing orders at all on the C8. Given the premium some people are paying to buy a built car now, dealers have little to worry about in moving cars they end up keeping.
Here's to getting our cars as fast as possible! Well built of course.

On the bright side, you get a newer production year car, hopefully with some of the kinks worked out.

Well said. Always a breath of fresh air when one gets an intellectual response. Although GMs warranty is good and they stand behind it in most cases. Quality is built-in during assembly, not rectifying quality issues at a dealership.

So when you put down your money did you ask how many C8s that dealer had in their 2020 allocation? Did they tell you how deep the line was that you were joining and where in fact you were in that line? All important details to confirm before you put your money down. Was your order entered into Workbench? I feel bad for you and others that dealers are perhaps being a little heavy handed. My dealer only needed a $500.00 deposit. They had 12 allocations for 2020 in two waves of 6 cars. I made it in the second wave and my car is now at 3300 with a TPW of July 13. 5K seems a lot for a waitlist spot. I understand maybe when the order goes in to GM Workbench that they may want to have a more significant deposit to show commitment.

Orders are placed as soon as the dealer submits. Then placed in a sequential line to the assembly plant. This process can be circumvented at any time if one knows the person who is in charge of the assembly plant to bypass all others and skip to the front.

Orders are placed as soon as the dealer submits. Then placed in a sequential line to the assembly plant. This process can be circumvented at any time if one knows the person who is in charge of the assembly plant to bypass all others and skip to the front.
The orders can only be put in to the GM Workbench system based on each dealers allocations. So yes the order is only in when it is in at GM. A dealer holding an order not in workbench is not an order. Not sure I buy your argument of GM manipulation at the factory. While I am sure someone maybe can be reached or strings pulled for Corporate VIP's, the way to get to the front of the line was the optional CUSTOM VIN at 5K. That was how many of the YouTube Stars got their cars. They ordered with the premium Custom VIN and simply jumped in front.

Reactions: ddgermann
My friend ordered a mustang gt in 1995 the wait time was 6-8 weeks. As I was at the time working at the Ford Assembly Plant in Oakville as a Supervisor I placed a call to the mustang plant and they got their car in two weeks.

Yes, I did paint, I painted in the main spray booth for about 6 months, then I walked out and said that working on the line was slave labour; then labour relations asked me if I would be interested in a Supervisory position, and as they say, the rest is history. Yes, Dino did retire if he is still alive who knows. Most of my colleagues have died. I guess I am the lucky one.

I'm much more forgiving of GM and don't think a comparison to Ford for a past vehicle order (1995), is "apples and apples". Everyone should take into account not only the strike that occurred at GM before COVID hit (strikes aren't only enjoyed by GM; other auto manufacturers get them too) but more importantly, how COVID-19 changed the landscape for ALL AUTO MANUFACTURERS when they were forced to shut down their plants. Then we have the unions and again, as far as I know all the large auto manufacturers are unionized, so the unions also dictate when they're satisfied that the conditions for their "brothers and sisters" are safe enough to return to work but again, that relates back to COVID which has changed the landscape for the entire world, for the first time in the history of our planet since other past "pandemics" were more localized and none affected the entire planet. You can fume about how governments reacted to COVID and disagree with what's happened, but GM didn't cause this and shouldn't be unfairly roasted. Just my 2 cents of course but I don't understand comments that target GM and complain about what's happened.

Then we have the fact that the C8 is super popular and that's caused other issues with high demands and thwarted expectations, all of which is amplified by the COVID delays. So in some ways it's the "perfect storm" when a great redesign gets bottled up and even with the production restarting, supply will never meet demand for the immediate future.

I'm not suggesting that GM is perfect (no one is; not even me according to what my spouse tells me almost every day...sigh) but I give credit to GM for coming out with this redesign. Their years of engineering work looks to have paid off and they came out with an amazing price-point on the base model, just as they'd promised and few believed. I also recognize that GM and other auto manufacturers have taken a large financial hit, as have most all others these days due to COVID. So I'll suggest patience and recognize that we're all in this together, while waiting for an effective vaccine that's likely the only way to eradicate COVID and get us all back to normal.

Once again, I'll ask this post gets passed along to GM, in the hopes GM deems it worthy of reward...so I get a free 2020 C8 convertible and I'll take ANY color and options... :)

And for you skeptics, I am NOT in any way affiliated with GM or the auto industry and the last GM product I bought was in 1985 so I'm hardly someone who leans towards GM vehicles...but I couldn't resist the C8.

Reactions: ABC and Cruzin
Netsinah, If GM or any other industries could have predicted this pandemic then a different path would have been taken. Unfortunately, the strike and then this global shut down was an unfortunate unforeseen circumstance that was beyond any one's control that came out of the left-field at an unprecedented loss of revenue for all. The great companies who will weather the storm of germ warfare that has infiltrated the front lines of all workplace have to implement a sound business restructure to combat the ravages of COVID-19 and surpass the carnage of dead income. GM is, in my opinion, managements floundering near a sandbank of financial discord.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.