BANNED
Ontario You're a Regular
Jul 24, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2012 f 150
Province
ON
I heard that Bowling Green is adding a second shift as they are almost sold out for the year. Good news for people who need a good-paying job. The only problem with that is: will quality suffer?? The corvette quality since they were on a one-shift has increased and has maintained. Second shift trainees will take about a year to get the quality on par if at all. Buying a C8 while the second shift is in training could cause quality concerns. For the C8 to be a world contender it needs to have above quality parity with the Europeans. Don't forget folks that GM was in bankruptcy protection a few years ago. The corvette was their saving grace. For two reasons a great quality car for a great price! Let's not lose sight of that.
ISO

While I agree with some of the points made, I don't think we can expect above quality of the European cars. I don't believe it is reasonable to expect the quality of a mass produced car to be above a hand built $200,000 plus car, although that thought would be nice. The exotic European auto makers have quality controlling quality. That is one reason the cars are priced accordingly. I do hope however, the C8 quality will be above the C7 (not that the C7 quality was second rate) as every generation should see an improvement.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts on this subject. Just saying, so one would expect to get better quality if one spends $200K: these super priced cars have their own quality issues, my friend. I may say that one is paying for the privilege to own a nameplate associated with the supercar at around 30%. Quality issues have been an American thorn in her side since the imports started to dominate the car market with their well-priced quality vehicles for the general public. The C8 is well-accepted in Europe as a super sports car for the fraction of the price of a Lambo or a Ferrari; It's the nameplate associated with the car that gives it that providence. The C8 can be that providence and proverbial thorn in the European market if it maintains a high-quality production rate.

ISO

Thanks for your comments and thoughts on this subject. Just saying, so one would expect to get better quality if one spends $200K: these super priced cars have their own quality issues, my friend. I may say that one is paying for the privilege to own a nameplate associated with the supercar at around 30%. Quality issues have been an American thorn in her side since the imports started to dominate the car market with their well-priced quality vehicles for the general public. The C8 is well-accepted in Europe as a super sports car for the fraction of the price of a Lambo or a Ferrari; It's the nameplate associated with the car that gives it that providence. The C8 can be that providence and proverbial thorn in the European market if it maintains a high-quality production rate.

ISO
Compare the interior of any Corvette to the interior of any Lamborghini.....quality is vastly different, and that’s only the interior. Not saying the Corvette is poor quality, it’s just not in the same league. That’s a good thing because most of us could find a way to afford one. A new Enzo is sort of out of my price range.

ISO

I worked on the production line in 2003 and can say that every person really cared .If anyone had an issue everything stopped until rectified .If there is an issue with the C8 it'll be technical or engineering not the assembly people .

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Bottom line here is the MSRP of the C8. It compares in looks with the Euro cars but considering the profit margin of the Euro cars is considerably more than the full retail of the C8, it's not really fair to expect an equal quality and finish. For a mass produced sports car, and based only on what I've seen at the reveal so far, GM has stepped up to the Euro plate (so to speak), and produced a car that dollar for dollar ranks right up close with most of them..... For a quarter of the money to boot. Now. Once it hits the market and the road, and we see some honest reviews coming from other than GM executives and engineers, that will be the true tale of the tape. JMO guys and girls.

Bottom line here is the MSRP of the C8. It compares in looks with the Euro cars but considering the profit margin of the Euro cars is considerably more than the full retail of the C8, it's not really fair to expect an equal quality and finish. For a mass produced sports car, and based only on what I've seen at the reveal so far, GM has stepped up to the Euro plate (so to speak), and produced a car that dollar for dollar ranks right up close with most of them..... For a quarter of the money to boot. Now. Once it hits the market and the road, and we see some honest reviews coming from other than GM executives and engineers, that will be the true tale of the tape. JMO guys and girls.

It an interesting speculation here and one that will be ongoing for years as it has with the release of all the generations against the high end European cars.
The Corvette has never compared to these cars apple to apple before this generation. I do not believe it is debatable that the build quality and material refinements have progressed along with the generations.
While it is certainly understandable the materials used inside the high priced Euro cars would be of a better “quality” and possibly hand fit, for the money I spent on my corvettes; especially the C7 3Ls I am very satisfied with the quality and design of my interior.
Actually the entire car is fantastic in its overall quality. No rattles or squeaks starts and runs fabulous.
So we haven’t even put hands on a C8 yet but I would expect it to be even more pleasing in a tactile sense and offer an even better general quality feel. History indicates this and why would it change now.
Bottom line... you pay for what you get. If you want to pay and have a Ferrari or whatever great. But to criticize a car that is mass produced and has relatively the same performance for a fraction of the money is a bit unfair to the Corvette.

I’m personally excited to see if indeed the C8 did take a step forward in build quality... but frankly there isn’t much further to go as.... Ya the C7 is a fantastic super comfortable and reliable car.

JMO

Agreed. I felt the C7 interior quality was a marked improvement over that of my C6. It will be interesting whether the quality of interior materials over that of the C7 is upgraded again with the C8, or if if it will be predominantly a superior attention and addition to detail. Time will tell. :Watching:

Wow, strong feedback on this subject. JMO you get it my friend, great reply. The Corvette has a strong pedigree in racing, now with a mid-engine and new design can it keep up with the big dogs?? Time will tell.
ISO

I think everyone in the CCF is a Corvette fan and loves their cars. A healthy discussion is a great way to voice our ideas whether we agree or not with others' thoughts. IMO the C8 is a great looking car, has the initial performance numbers to match most much higher priced exotics or otherwise and is reasonably priced for the mass market, for which it is essentially designed to sell to. I would expect the quality to increase over the C7, given newer technology and tighter quality controls. I believe we should remember the C7 is already 7 years old, and in the car world, that is quite a bit in terms of technology, design, performance, although it still is spectacular on all three fronts. Hopefully the C8 will live up to its expectations and we can all enjoy a new family member to the C line up, even if we don't own one.

For sure we all have a different perspective on what makes a great sports car. There is but only one view for quality; that is a high percentage of first runs from the assembly line. Overtime when sales increase and pressure from upper management to keep up with orders place undue pressure to the assembly line worker. To my original post, the other day in regards to the possible second shift at Boling Green Assembly Plant that objective has its own quality issues. No matter how well the vehicle is engineered, and tighter quality controls are implemented comes down to integrity from each and every person who has hands-on with the assembly. A quality vehicle is built from the start to the end, not after at the repair stations.

ISO

Hey Guys, some stats for you to ponder over: In 2018 model year for the corvette; produced 9,686 vehicles, for an approx revenue for GM of $518Million. Now for the purists who are still on the fence over hand made Ferraris versus mass-produced corvettes. Ferraris produce around 2500 vehicles per year; for an approx revenue of $500Million. (Food for thought). There are an approx 30 stations for the Ferrari, each station the operators have 30 minutes to compleat their work. Now, let's look at Fords F-150. In 2018 for the first 6months built 450,000 units. Staggering numbers. If Ferrari built 450,000 units would it still have the same price tag?? or even 9686??
Here is where some of the corvettes sold:
Canada: 587
Europe: 343
Mid East: 66
Mexico: 57
Japan: 9
This means that the USA bought 8,681 corvettes. The population in the states is around 327 Million give or take a few. Now, Europe has around 741 Million. Hence the C8 Corvette.

ISO

As a former GM employee the original post mildly offend me .
In 2003 30% of production was robotics and has steadily increased .Over the past three years 500 million has been invested in painting ,re-tooling and robotics .My guess is that 60%will be robotics .The info that I get is that there will be an increase in labor for a second shift but not green works off the street .Gm plants that are closing give existing works first shot at positions at Bowling Green .Another note is that 70 % of the production workers are women because they are more detail oriented .

I do not know of anyone who claims that they have had a issue due to assembly on the C5 C6 or C7 .and I belong to four forums .The issues again stem from the product that gets outsourced or design errors .Design errors are the number one issue in the auto industry .

My recommendation is that people might consider going to Bowling Green not only visit the museum but go to the plant .The plant is across the street about a mile away and scheduling is done at the museum .It will give you first hand knowledge on what really goes into a Corvette .

• Informative
Hey Guys, some stats for you to ponder over: In 2018 model year for the corvette; produced 9,686 vehicles, for an approx revenue for GM of $518Million. Now for the purists who are still on the fence over hand made Ferraris versus mass-produced corvettes. Ferraris produce around 2500 vehicles per year; for an approx revenue of $500Million. The only items that are hand done are the assembly process
As a former GM employee, the original post mildly offend me .
In 2003 30% of production was robotics and has steadily increased .Over the past three years 500 million has been invested in painting ,re-tooling and robotics .My guess is that 60%will be robotics .The info that I get is that there will be an increase in labor for a second shift but not green works off the street .Gm plants that are closing give existing works first shot at positions at Bowling Green .Another note is that 70 % of the production workers are women because they are more detail oriented .

I do not know of anyone who claims that they have had a issue due to assembly on the C5 C6 or C7 .and I belong to four forums .The issues again stem from the product that gets outsourced or design errors .Design errors are the number one issue in the auto industry .

My recommendation is that people might consider going to Bowling Green not only visit the museum but go to the plant .The plant is across the street about a mile away and scheduling is done at the museum .It will give you first hand knowledge on what really goes into a Corvette .

Hey Elf, thanks for your post. Reading what you wrote I think you misunderstood what was written. I merely pointing out the production rates, not the investment costs. Please don't misunderstand my thoughts My intentions are not to belittle the American autoworker. (Please read my post again). The highest cost to produce any vehicle is manpower, auto manufacturers goal is to achieve close to 100% automation. Is this possible?? again time will tell. In regards to 70% of women in the assembly line, ( I am sure I will infuriate some men, not my intention). Women can perform repetitive tasks more efficiently because of their higher retention capabilities versus the male operator. Design errors are inevitable what works on paper does not necessarily correlate to the assembly line. GM's delay for revealing the C 8 was to try and correct those design flaws before assembly. I am sure there will be other corrections once full production is achievable. Vendors quality issues have always been a concern, tighter statistical process controls have lowered the defect % rate. It's the responsibility of each assembly line operator to inspect the part to be installed to be defect-free.

ISO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.