Crinks

Casual User
Apr 12, 2018
VetteCoins
I'm interested in what you're hearing.....whether it be staffers, Corvette dealers, insiders, outsiders, I don't care I'm interested. My consensus is C8 will start below ZR1 in the $150,000 Cdn range and approach $200,000 optioned out. Touring and Grand Sports (Z06/Z07/ZR1) stretch to $250,000.
I think C7 production will not only be around awhile, but get renewed life for any with sticker shock and shallow pockets. After all, you can still buy a base LT1 Stingray for under $65,000! Agree/Disagree? Thoughts?

Reactions: flyboy999
Despite some wild claims and posts in certain places, here is the price range for the C8. These are not confirmed 100%, but lets just say you can start toward the bank on this.

“If you can afford an entry Grand Sport, you can afford an entry 2020 ME.” I will not be surprised is those are the exact words that Tadge says at its reveal.

If you doubt that, please consider these three sources:
Don Sherman of Car and Driver said $65K (US); Bob Lutz said $5-10K (US) more than the Stingray; and Automobilie magazine said, e.g., $56K (U.S).

I doubt it will be nearly as low as Automobile stated. A poll on another forum (MECF), concluded that while there were a couple who voted at $85K and over $100K to start, the remaining voters averaged $70K (all US dollar). I totally respect the two who were/are at $85K and +$100K, and they are properly noting that there will be, in their opinion, any many significant standard, high-quality components in the base car. However, I am most others think that GM will instead have many of those high quality components be options. Even though I am now around $69,000 as my estimate for MSRP, I believe that there will be a long option list for the ME (a la the Porsche model), and those checking off every option box (such as Choose Your VIN @$5,000 and Build Your Motor @5,800, are going to approach $110,000.

As to the following year’s Z06, I am hearing that that car will be very loaded standard, and my range is thus, for a no-option MSRP car, an entry price of $99K, maybe as high at $119K. As to ZORA a year or so later, I betting on approaching $185K.

All dollars amount again are US.

Lastly, while GM’s original plan was to co-build the FE C7 with the ME for the 2020 and 2021 model years, I have since changed my mind and believe the FE C7 production will become extinct sometime during the 2019 calendar year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik
Hearing absolutely nothing ... gosh ... still waiting to hear and with hope for a finale run of the C7 ZR1.
Based on past GM MSRP trends, I think that the C8 MSRP in the Canada will not necessarily
be a "dollar exchange-rate calculation" of the USA prices. At worst case, one can think
that ... and then be a bit happier knowing that it will be less.
Just my speculation and opinion though.

Reactions: ddgermann
As I've said before, taxes in, I can't see this car selling for less than $100K Canadian in base trim with zero options. Option it out, and I'm thinking you will shell out $130K-$140K. The Z06 version should approach $200K. My 2017 Z06/07 fully loaded was $127,900 + $12,790 in taxes, making it just under $140K. I can easily see the C8 being more like $160K-$180K then tack on the 26% tax in BC and you're easily at $200K+ and maybe just under elsewhere.

That's what all that head-on traffic was... I came all the way west and brought a buddy with me... (1980)

Ahh...there's a handful of old friends scattered about still. Most of us came home. I spent a yr in Edmonton, working at dealerships. (after market graphics etc). I remember some being mentioned in various threads.
Sorry for o/t.
I think the ME will be at least 25% above the C7, but it doesn't matter, because I love the C7 too much.

Ahh...there's a handful of old friends scattered about still. Most of us came home. I spent a yr in Edmonton, working at dealerships. (after market graphics etc). I remember some being mentioned in various threads.
Sorry for o/t.
I think the ME will be at least 25% above the C7, but it doesn't matter, because I love the C7 too much.

Agree... and agree.

Significantly under in Alberta.... Almost worth the move for 21% savings... :Biggrin:
Definitely. That tax they introduced last April is insane!!!! I honestly don't know how some luxury dealers are staying in business. I wouldn't buy a vehicle over $150K on principle alone knowing that over $30K was going to be handed over to the government. The Lambo guys were saying it has clearly put a damper on business. Gotta love AB.....

I’m predicting a MSRP just over a similarly trimmed C7. Around 5k more for the first release more basic C8 if the C7 is indeed done in 2019. What these dealerships ask for is a totally different matter. Likely we will see the same type of gouging we saw with the 14 C7, 19 ZR1 and the 1LE Camaros.
If the C7 continues the prices may be a bit higher but I would not expect by much more than above.
It makes absolutely no business sense to price the car out of reach to the market you are selling to.
The small market buying the foreign exotics for the big $ are not likely to suddenly decide to go to corvette beyond a possible few of them. And that is a small sales volume even if they did all switch over.

After a year or so when the higher performance C8s are rolled out you can expect the pricing to match. Meaning I as a upper model Corvette customer should be able to remain one with the C8.
I also would not be surprised to see a hyper car type corvette in 3 years with a price tag to match trying to get Corvette into that higher end exotic market.

JMO.

I hear ya, you could be right. I agree that alienating your core customers would be a big mistake, and Corvette is making money for GM as it is. But, I think they're already trying to break into the "higher end exotic market" by spending all the time and resources to develop a mid-engined C8. What a massive investment....millions and millions..........(not unlike the C7, but I don't think the C7 was a radical departure from the C6...except the interior quality and tail lights of course ;) ) And, the "core customer base" for the Corvette is middle aged men who can afford a $60K-$170K toy. If you can afford $60K, you can afford $80K. What is that per month? $200........yeah, no problem. I've heard the argument that they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd by building a mid-engined car, but that just doesn't make sense to me.....what kid out of college/university can afford a C7 to begin with??? Ah...not many........ They're looking to start a family, and they tell their significant other that they're going to run out and spend a minimum of $60K on a toy that won't accommodate two people and a car seat......game over.........lol. You need a certain amount of disposable income to afford sports cars like these in the first place, and that is not realistically possible with a "young crowd".

Also, the argument that "the C7 has reached the peak of it's performance so we need to build a mid-engined C8" just doesn't ring true to me. Very, very, veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrry few Corvette owners will even come within sight of the performance limits of these cars as they are right now, unless they're wrapped around a tree. Does GM really need to invest the resources they are on a mid-engined C8, to get more performance? Hahaha.......yeah, that's what I say to myself every time I floor it in my Z06/07, the back end gets loose, and I pass a string of cars approaching 180-200 km/h as I go past the cab of the semi holding us all up........not. I honestly can't see how the C8 would be attractive to many Corvette owners if it doesn't step up it's game in the exotic department. Going mid-engine is a start. My feeling is that to hold onto the "core customer base" (middle aged dudes) it needs to become more exotic so guys like me aren't straying from the brand to Porsche, McLaren, NSX, Lambo, etc..... If it has the performance, exclusivity, looks, and materials of an exotic, I'll trade my Z06/07 in on one. If not, unfortunately I'll be looking elsewhere, and I'm sure I'm not alone.............

JMO as well ;)

Ahhhhhh.... Interesting times ahead... There's been lots of speculation on C8 prices but I don't think I've seen much on projected production numbers (I may have missed a thread or two).
Will GM build as many the first year as they did with the C7. If the price point is indeed along the same realm as a GS (@Zora), that does put the car at the 6 figure level in Canada (not including the dealer price gouging that is sure to occur). Can they sell 37,000+ first year ME's... Maybe. And of course only a fraction of them will come north. 1193 C7's made it to Canada's store shelves that first year.
Or maybe they will limit production for market assessment and only build 15,000 C8's. Especially if they are still building and selling C7's at the same time. If that were the case and the ratio is similar, only 479 C8's could see Canadian snow next September.... We thought there was a scarcity in 2014... As I said... A truly interesting topic for us. Especially now that the winter storage doldrums are hanging over us. :Ice:

Production numbers are a key piece. When BGA Plant Manager gave his detailed presentation at April’s BASH, he noted that production has been “right sized for an entire generation at 33,000 units annually even with ‘firewall overtime’.”
It will be on my bucket list for a trip to BG after the C8 passes by its Junior Year of Production.
Won't be during a Caravan Time as it would be too much of a zoo.
I need to see the number of units coming out each day as for me, it needs to be actually seen. :Watching:

Right now producing at the designed hourly rate of 11.5 units, they are making 93 per day, five days per week. During the height of C7 production, they worked 55 hours/week.

I worked summers on a major OEM assembly line way back when putting myself through college. I love time spent in BGA. I did 31 plant tours during the C7 era, including two Buyers Tours (my friend and I reciprocated), 1 private tour, and 28 public tours. The Plant can not open up soon enough so I can get my next BGA fix.

Ahhhhhh.... Interesting times ahead... There's been lots of speculation on C8 prices but I don't think I've seen much on projected production numbers (I may have missed a thread or two).
Will GM build as many the first year as they did with the C7. If the price point is indeed along the same realm as a GS (@Zora), that does put the car at the 6 figure level in Canada (not including the dealer price gouging that is sure to occur). Can they sell 37,000+ first year ME's... Maybe. And of course only a fraction of them will come north. 1193 C7's made it to Canada's store shelves that first year.
Or maybe they will limit production for market assessment and only build 15,000 C8's. Especially if they are still building and selling C7's at the same time. If that were the case and the ratio is similar, only 479 C8's could see Canadian snow next September.... We thought there was a scarcity in 2014... As I said... A truly interesting topic for us. Especially now that the winter storage doldrums are hanging over us. :Ice:
Yes, all fun speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were much smaller than 479. I honestly think the C8 is making its way towards the "halo" car status. If it's as expensive as I think it will be, each dealership won't likely carry more than a few of them. I guess we'll see...........

Yes, all fun speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were much smaller than 479. I honestly think the C8 is making its way towards the "halo" car status. If it's as expensive as I think it will be, each dealership won't likely carry more than a few of them. I guess we'll see...........

I kind of hope you are right as the C7 will then remain with us and more ZR1’s will roll off the line. 😁

Production numbers are a key piece. When BGA Plant Manager gave his detailed presentation at April’s BASH, he noted that production has been “right sized for an entire generation at 33,000 units annually even with ‘firewall overtime’.”

First year I will be surprised if they produce more than 20,000 ME units. JMO

First year I will be surprised if they produce more than 20,000 ME units. JMO
I agree. I think they are going to have to see how the market responds to the radical changes they are making with this vehicle before they start pumping them out like hot-cakes a-la-C7.

Example: Right now Saskatoon Acura has two brand new 2017 and 2018 black NSXs sitting on their showroom floor at $192K when you can buy a new 2019 in the awesome Thermal Orange (just available for 2019) for $189K base price...... Southview Acura in Edmonton has a brand new 2017 NSX in red sitting there and they don't even want to list the price "please call" because they know that people are going to say exactly what I would say, "Why should I pay you $190K+ for a car that is going on two years old, when I can buy a 2019 for the same price? Essentially these dealers got screwed by the high MSRP for the NSX and no one has been biting. Can you imagine sitting on well over $300K worth of inventory for years at the Stoon dealership??? The owner must be kicking himself. This is exactly what GM dealerships will be afraid of. If Chevy prices the C8 in a similar manner to the NSX (i.e. too high), they'll be stuck with a bunch of new inventory they can't sell because people would gladly buy a C7 Z06, ZR1, GS, or Stingray at a huge discount than shell out big cash for the latest and greatest. Not to mention the fact that in the NSX's case, the previous generation was discontinued 12 years before the release of the second generation model, so people didn't even have a "C7" to choose from, and they still couldn't sell the car. The C7 is sooooooooo good GM has to be really careful.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread