The 4.2L, if we ever are offered that option, will not be sooner than the 2021 MY. Next year we get only one motor, a LT1 derived OHV V8, probably 5.5L and around 475 HP. However, it will be evolutionarily advanced from the LT1 we currently have, with some engine refinements/enhancements that GM has developed over the last five years.

Starting 2021, our best best is we get a 5.5L, DOHC, 32, V8 which is related to the 4.2L that the Cadillac CT6 has, but not the Caddy’s “hot vee” configuration. That will be the first motor to have Cosworth heads, and could well be a twin stage, twin turbo configuration — as GM specifally patented that system about 2 years ago.

Kudos @Zora :thumbs:
Dealerships better have well trained reps that know all these specifics when the C8 comes out.
Based on how the C7 ZR1 is being sold in the area, they better be well tuned to sell the technology as
too many are currently doing a lousy job at "selling" the most expensive Corvette to date.
It's like they are merely middle-men in the process to acquiring a ZR1 with what seems to be a
"let's buy one and you tell us what it's all about" demeanor. Regardless of C8 MSRP, not knowing
the ins-and-outs of the C8 on the selling floor will not be acceptable. I will surely get the first hint
from GM Canada if the C8 does not come to our Annual Auto Shows in the West just like the
ZR1 was a no-show this year ... as it surely reflected experiences that followed in some Dealerships.

Last edited:
Kudos @Zora :thumbs:
Dealerships better have well trained reps that know all these specifics when the C8 comes out.
Based on how the C7 ZR1 is being sold in the area, they better be well tuned to sell the technology as
too many are currently doing a lousy job at "selling" the most expensive Corvette to date.
It's like they are merely middle-men in the process to acquiring a ZR1 with what seems to be a
"let's buy one and you tell us what it's all about" demeanor. Regardless of C8 MSRP, not knowing
the ins-and-outs of the C8 on the selling floor will not be acceptable. I will surely get the first hint
from GM Canada if the C8 does not come to our Annual Auto Shows in the West just like the
ZR1 was a no-show this year ... as it surely reflected experiences that followed in some Dealerships.

The ZR1 sounds a lot like my Viper in the sense that dealerships have absolutely no clue....... It's a situation where an American car company makes something really special, but has absolutely no dealer support for the vehicle. Brutal. It's one of the reasons I keep my Viper in Lions Bay, and my Vette in Saskatchewan. Try and find a shop who has competent technicians to work on the Viper outside of Toronto or Vancouver...........good luck. Even then, I think it's a bit sketch. Sherwood GM in Saskatoon seems to know what they are doing with my Vette, so I'm happy with that. The next car I buy has to have adequate dealer support, or I'm not even going to consider it. This obviously isn't an issue with Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. You take your car into one of those shops and you can bet they know what they're doing. But, you're going to pay an arm and a leg for that "specialized knowledge." Wouldn't it be nice if the C8 Corvette makes the jump to the more "exotic side" and the dealerships that sell the car have staff that can actually carry on a meaningful conversation about the car as well as service it? It's almost as if, when you are considering the purchase of the C8 you have to ask the salesman, "So, how many techs do you have employed at this dealership who are actually qualified to work on this car?" None have completed the required training? No thanx............. Or how about the Ford GT? How many Ford dealerships in Canada can actually touch that car? I bet you can count them on one hand......or less........

The ZR1 sounds a lot like my Viper in the sense that dealerships have absolutely no clue....... It's a situation where an American car company makes something really special, but has absolutely no dealer support for the vehicle. Brutal. It's one of the reasons I keep my Viper in Lions Bay, and my Vette in Saskatchewan. Try and find a shop who has competent technicians to work on the Viper outside of Toronto or Vancouver...........good luck. Even then, I think it's a bit sketch. Sherwood GM in Saskatoon seems to know what they are doing with my Vette, so I'm happy with that. The next car I buy has to have adequate dealer support, or I'm not even going to consider it. This obviously isn't an issue with Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. You take your car into one of those shops and you can bet they know what they're doing. But, you're going to pay an arm and a leg for that "specialized knowledge." Wouldn't it be nice if the C8 Corvette makes the jump to the more "exotic side" and the dealerships that sell the car have staff that can actually carry on a meaningful conversation about the car as well as service it? It's almost as if, when you are considering the purchase of the C8 you have to ask the salesman, "So, how many techs do you have employed at this dealership who are actually qualified to work on this car?" None have completed the required training? No thanx............. Or how about the Ford GT? How many Ford dealerships in Canada can actually touch that car? I bet you can count them on one hand......or less........
:nailbiting: Wow, didn't even think of the C8 service side yet other than if
the Mobil 1 inclusive arm-wrestling ordeal will continue ...
it's bewildering for me thinking of the selling side .... one thing to worry about at a time I guess ...
service inquiries once the wheels of this gem touches the floor of the show room. I have time as I
won't be at the front of the line if/when considering one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Movie Muscle
I understand the issues about lacking properly trained salespersons. That is super unfortunate — and true of most brands.

I mitigate that two ways, first I never walk into a dealership unless I know everything about a vehicle I am considering buying. I do not mean 98%, but 100%. I know every option, every option code, what can and can not go with every other choice I am selecting. I trust no one except myself when it comes to even ordering a daily driver, and certainly not going to trust the average salesperson (again of every brand). Second, and I do not know whether this is even possible in Canada for one to buy from a dealership that is not the one closest to you, but living in the U.S., I have bought my last three Corvettes from three different dealers — with their average distance from our house being 3,000 miles. Why? Because I extensively research not just the car but the dealership, and then I choose which specific highly-knowledgeable salesperson is their # 1 Corvette person.

Buying a Corvette is the second most expensive purchase I have ever made (more expensive even than a couple of houses I have bought), and so it is not location, location, location, but research, research, research before I buy every “next” one.

I understand the issues about lacking properly trained salespersons. That is super unfortunate — and true of most brands.

I mitigate that two ways, first I never walk into a dealership unless I know everything about a vehicle I am considering buying. I do not mean 98%, but 100%. I know every option, every option code, what can and can not go with every other choice I am selecting. I trust no one except myself when it comes to even ordering a daily driver, and certainly not going to trust the average salesperson (again of every brand). Second, and I do not know whether this is even possible in Canada for one to buy from a dealership that is not the one closest to you, but living in the U.S., I have bought my last three Corvettes from three different dealers — with their average distance from our house being 3,000 miles. Why? Because I extensively research not just the car but the dealership, and then I choose which specific highly-knowledgeable salesperson is their # 1 Corvette person.

Buying a Corvette is the second most expensive purchase I have ever made (more expensive even than a couple of houses I have bought), and so it is not location, location, location, but research, research, research before I buy every “next” one.
Responses will vary on importance and one I find most frustrating is that multiple dealerships have the same owner group in my City which takes some of the competition away and brings in another issue of not always being assured which specific lot has the specific vehicle you want. First and only thing a sales person wants is your name ... and then seems to tie it with their name no matter which lot you buy from. It's frustrating and tells me they are only in it for the pay cheque. So I make a habit to only buy at one-off dealerships and definitely kick tires at the others (as long as the vehicle is actually there). When it comes down to knowing exactly what you want, our on-line build-your-own does not break out options that you can when building one at the desk in a dealership. This is where knowledge of the salesperson comes in fumbling through the build screens and assuming things without asking as they go page to page (so it seems) a lot of clicking going on and not enough collaboration. So I saw a ZR1 with Blue Calipers, click that please .... and the rocket science begins. I also can't seem to get a sheet with only my options so that I can review it all at home without being impulsive in the moment. It's a secret I guess ... LOL ... I have had success when dong this at a General Sales Manager's Desk but I have to be ready to deal, know all my specs and buy so that I am not a "waste" of their time ... I do find the one-off Dealerships are much more tolerant and accommodating (when the time during a weekday works). We will see how this goes during the freeze of hibernation for another kick at a ZR1 ... Service, I have grown to drive 300km (in a vette) for an oil change instead of booking it in 2 weeks from now and having to leave the Corvette in the shop parking lot all day ... not!

Last edited:

My experience has been a combination of poor to decent sales supported by excelent service which is more important to me.
The knowledge of most sales people on the corvette sucks in general from my experience. So your plan of knowing the car is the right one. This makes the sales person nothing more than a paper shuffler. This is fine for me as it’s the service knowledge that I will be relying on for far longer.
As we can buy anywhere and service the cars at any dealership we chose after, the trick is finding one close to home. 3000 miles is too far for me to be bothered knowing the car will be dealership serviced while in warranty.

Reactions: YFCvii and Zora
For me it's all about the service/maintenance side. I didn't realize when I bought my Viper that it would be an issue. I "assumed" you take it into any dealership you want and get work done: not! For those people considering the purchase of the C8, don't underestimate the importance of this issue. There's nothing quite like shelling out $100K+ for a car and then finding out that no one knows how to fix it..... Don't think for a second "everything will work out." You won't feel that way when something goes wrong....

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Agreed that service excellence is not as prevalent as we would want/need. I drive by my two closest Chevy dealers to get one which has a fantastic Tech. However, I understand that many live quite a way from even the second closest dealer, let alone the third one. Having high service quality is definitely an issue for more than a few Corvette owners.

I understand too some concern that the ME will have new components that are not yet familiar to Techs. That too is a valid factor.

On the positive side, GM is acutely aware of this; the hatch on the ME opens massively wide; and, GM will not have us pay $150 for an oil change, nor make the car a service nightmare. For those who are, because of the potential servicing issue, choosing to take at least a one year time out before considering buying the ME, I understand/respect your decision to do so.

I am however, going all in, as soon as I can, getting one.

Having been born in the U.S. (Portland, OR), and having lived in both Canada and the U.S. throughout my life, I can say with utmost confidence that automobile ownership in the two countries is night and day. Just to give you an example, I just had my oil changed at Sherwood GM in Saskatoon a couple weeks ago. It was the last of my five free ones, but do to a computer glitch (I believe associated with the new Mobile 1 requirement), the service guys had to show it as me paying for the service until Monday when it could be rectified by someone higher up. So I got a "preview" of what it will cost me to get my oil changed by them for the next one: $201.00. Quite honestly, you almost can't buy the oil up here for $150.00. Don't even get me started on tires.................hahahaha..........live it up down there Zora. :) BTW, Unlike the motto in the U.S. "The customer is always right." Up here in Canada, the motto is, "Tough s**t, where else are you going to go?" :)

Having been born in the U.S. (Portland, OR), and having lived in both Canada and the U.S. throughout my life, I can say with utmost confidence that automobile ownership in the two countries is night and day. Just to give you an example, I just had my oil changed at Sherwood GM in Saskatoon a couple weeks ago. It was the last of my five free ones, but do to a computer glitch (I believe associated with the new Mobile 1 requirement), the service guys had to show it as me paying for the service until Monday when it could be rectified by someone higher up. So I got a "preview" of what it will cost me to get my oil changed by them for the next one: $201.00. Quite honestly, you almost can't buy the oil up here for $150.00. Don't even get me started on tires.................hahahaha..........live it up down there Zora. :) BTW, Unlike the motto in the U.S. "The customer is always right." Up here in Canada, the motto is, "Tough s**t, where else are you going to go?" :)
So bloody true. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN THE USA; FOR THE MOST PART, THE CUSTOMER IS RIGHT!!!

Reactions: flyboy999
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread