Sep 13, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
▶ $ICAMOU$ ◀
Province
BC
bi.PNG

bi1.PNG

On the 2019 Z51 with the dry sump motor it says to have the break in oil changed at 800 kilometres. Are they not telling us to do that now??? Think the motor has a electronic limiter install for the break in period to the keep the revs down. After the break in they remove it.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
This is literally the exact same as the C7 break-in procedure, short of the dry-sump oil change at 800 km.
So we do an oil change at 800 K or not? My friend's 2019 Grand Sport said in the manual that it had to be done at 800 K and the dealership argued with him that it didn't have to be done. Even though it said so in the manual. Wouldn't want void the warranty over a simple free oil change.

So we do an oil change at 800 K or not? My friend's 2019 Grand Sport said in the manual that it had to be done at 800 K and the dealership argued with him that it didn't have to be done. Even though it said so in the manual. Wouldn't want void the warranty over a simple free oil change.

Don't listen to your dealer unless he tells you to change it sooner. It's a break in period. Moving metal parts mesh with and seat into place with other moving and non-moving metal parts, resulting in bits and pieces of jetsam and flotsam ending up in the pan.... This and the next one are probably your most important oil changes. JMO

LT2 doesn't require a break-in oil change.
Oil life system may not indicate service for up to a year.
Oil/filter must be changed at least once a year.

Last edited:
  • Wow

On the C7 Z51, Grand Sport and Z06, you received an extra complimentary free oil change because it needed to be done at 800 km. Your dealership is incorrect.

It looks like the C8 does not have a mandatory 800km oil change. You do still get 2 free oil changes and you can use them whenever you want, not when the dealership or owners manual says so. I would still recommend an 800-1000km oil and filter change, but it is not mandatory.

On the C7 Z51, Grand Sport and Z06, you received an extra complimentary free oil change because it needed to be done at 800 km. Your dealership is incorrect.

It looks like the C8 does not have a mandatory 800km oil change. You do still get 2 free oil changes and you can use them whenever you want, not when the dealership or owners manual says so. I would still recommend an 800-1000km oil and filter change, but it is not mandatory.
Sounds good EJ. I'm not expecting to get my convertible much before September so if thats the case I hope I have enough time to put some K's on it and then store it with clean oil for the winter. Any other new vehicle or motorcycle I have owned there was always a break in period where parts were meshing together and had to keep the revs lows. Then dropping the oil with small metal filings was a good idea. Iv'e actually seem small metal filings from my Harley on its first oil change that the mechanic showed me. Not a lot but still there. Maybe I'm old school but if I plan on keeping this car I still think an early first oil change is the best way to go.

Reactions: EJChevy

Are the first 2 years/48 000 km not free like in 2019 under your standard basic warranty

Standard Stingray received 4 complimentary complete oil/filter/lube changes
Z51 cars received 5 free

Reactions: kerry4
Was this info a part of the "Tracking" Document?

I skimmed over it and this appears to be similar.
Hope the Dealer Reps clearly mention this to New Owners on Delivery Day

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread