Jun 9, 2015
pickering
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2lt HTC
Province
ON
The weather here in Pickering was nice today ,about 14 degrees C. so I took my C8 out for about a 20km run, never exceeding the spd limit in town of course. I didn`t noticed the temp reading somewhere around 82-85 C. maybe.
However when I parked inside the garage and let her(my C8) idle for about 5-7 mins, the temp jumped to 95 C or about 203 F, the fans never came on. Shut the car down and had some meatloaf (saving enough for an E Ray).
If anybody here can tell me this is normal ? I watched some POV vids and noticed temp ranging from 180-202 F while driving in normal to hot outside temp.

Disclaimer: I refer to her as my C8.

Normal, 95C is fine, the temp went up because you weren't driving so no air flow means higher temps but you'd need more then 95C to be worried that your fans weren't coming on.

The POVs your referencing are of the car moving which is why they are lower then your quoted idle temp. A car in motion increases air flow and as such increases cooling, being idle means no air flow and higher temps.

Here are some pics of coolant measurements. Note this 50/50 mixture scale. C8 has a 40/60 mixture.
Readings seem ok to me. At least the needle is in the middle.

corvette freeze -22C.jpg corvette boitl 128C.jpg

My temperature while moving and fully warmed up, is usually around 74 degrees celsuis. Only once did it get up into the 80's and that was with "spirited driving" on one of the few hot Spring days we've had in my area. But yes all that changes if you're idling for a long time and not having the engine cool off from air movement.

The weather here in Pickering was nice today ,about 14 degrees C. so I took my C8 out for about a 20km run, never exceeding the spd limit in town of course. I didn`t noticed the temp reading somewhere around 82-85 C. maybe.
However when I parked inside the garage and let her(my C8) idle for about 5-7 mins, the temp jumped to 95 C or about 203 F, the fans never came on. Shut the car down and had some meatloaf (saving enough for an E Ray).
If anybody here can tell me this is normal ? I watched some POV vids and noticed temp ranging from 180-202 F while driving in normal to hot outside temp.

Disclaimer: I refer to her as my C8.
Seems normal based on my limited experience with the HTC.

Here are some pics of coolant measurements. Note this 50/50 mixture scale. C8 has a 40/60 mixture.
Readings seem ok to me. At least the needle is in the middle.

View attachment 80904 View attachment 80905
That reading is very far away from being OK.

Store it in an unheated garage in Alberta in the winter at -40C and crack your block!

Hope your toy gauge is way off! I do not believe GM would skimp on coolant.....

Here is a new pic I took which show a -23 C per Corvette 40/60 mix spec as of today. It must be at required fill level of fluid and held perfectly level.
Also for those of you who can read a graph which shows temp vs mixture( from Corvette Forums).

corvette antifreeze.jpg freeze point.gif

I really cant confirm that this reading applies across Canada since nobody has uploaded their readings.
As for my trusty Prestone toy , I had it for15 years checking my boat and other cars and nothing froze.
Amazon has it for $9.95 now. I bought mine for 99 cents then.
Next oil change and I`ll have them check again.
Note this is in Pickering Ontario. Best you confirm the ratio might be changed in your province to adjust for weather

Last edited:
My temperature while moving and fully warmed up, is usually around 74 degrees celsuis. Only once did it get up into the 80's and that was with "spirited driving" on one of the few hot Spring days we've had in my area. But yes all that changes if you're idling for a long time and not having the engine cool off from air movement.
What are your temps like now that it’s warmer out?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread