Was wondering about what you think about acquiring the extended warranty. I understand that everyone’s situation is different. I am 65 and planning on keeping my C8. I will likely put less than 5000 km on the car each year. I also own a 55 Chevy and will hope to drive that as well. I typically stay away from a major model change in the first year but I made an exception because I think this will be an exceptional car.
I haven’t checked with my dealership but I think you can get the extended warranty up until the 3 year standard warranty expires, so that may give us some experience.
The price I’ve been quoted which are relevant to me are 60mo/60000km 0 deductible for $2700 and 84mo/60000km 0 deductible $3350. The 60 and 84 months start from when you acquire the car not the end of the standard warranty.
Not sure if there is any advantage in taking the extended warranty at the time you buy the car other than perhaps price increase later.
What are people thinking?

Reactions: Phil
First Year
First Model Styling, Design and Power-Plant Production ...
Quack, quack, quack ...so much new to Corvette ... it's a
Hell Yes

It's merely a "plan B" decision though and
it will bolster trade-in and/or resale if one is ever blessed to
switch to an unrestricted (if the case) and/or upgraded version later on.

I am a negotiator ...
I would attempt to first negotiate the price for extended warranty
starting with 50% off x-warranty and commit to also buying a few other accessories at wholesale pricing in the same breath.
All negotiated for best-pricing and then itemized on the bill of sale as it will then all be included and
covered under no-loss (purchase price) depreciation insurance coverage (if you can do it with your insurer).

I've respectfully achieved all-in pricing with my last 6 new purchases (and with 2 referrals)

Last edited:
First Year
First Model Styling, Design and Power-Plant Production ...
Quack, quack, quack ...so much new to Corvette ... it's a
Hell Yes

It's merely a "plan B" decision though and
it will bolster trade-in and/or resale if one is ever blessed to
switch to an unrestricted (if the case) and/or upgraded version later on.

I am a negotiator ...
I would attempt to first negotiate the price for extended warranty
starting with 50% off x-warranty and commit to also buying a few other accessories at wholesale pricing in the same breath.
All negotiated for best-pricing and then itemized on the bill of sale as it will then all be included and
covered under no-loss (purchase price) depreciation insurance coverage (if you can do it with your insurer).

I've respectfully achieved all-in pricing with my last 6 new purchases (and with 2 referrals)
I did see other posts on extended warranty being good for resale, won’t help me as I’m not looking at selling. Never thought of negotiating the price on extended warranty.

All new. GM really has no knowledge of how long some of the parts will last in the real world. I'm sure they test their product ... but it's still not real world driving, over several years. I would negotiate the extended warranty. Parts and labour will not be cheap.

For reference I literally did extended warranty on my 2017 ZL1 today oddly enough. Went in service APRIL 2017 so bumper to bumper coming up. Added an extended bumper to bumper for 4 more years unlimited Kms expires in 2024. Retail was $5800 and I got it for a hair over $3000. So yes you can get 50% off .... FYI

Reactions: BDK and 2MCHFUN
I used to be very much against extended warranties, but seeing how much crazy tech is in new cars, I'd say go for it. It's not about the engine and transmission any longer, it's about the sensors and computers and all the other expensive electronic gizmos they put in cars these days.

That touch screen? If it fails (which they do) it's a good $1500+ to replace it. That's half the cost of your warranty right there.

See if you can get a guaranteed price rebate where if you don't use the warranty, you can get some of your money back.

Reactions: DAL and turbozig
I would tend to agree with you Eric but with one caveat, what does the fine print say about what is covered and what is not in the actual extended warranty. I have never been a fan of EW's on anything as I feel they are a high margin product sold by dealers. However I did buy one on a Saturn Relay I had and it did pay off with a failed tranny. Do we know what the pricing will be on the EW's yet for the C8?

I would tend to agree with you Eric but with one caveat, what does the fine print say about what is covered and what is not in the actual extended warranty. I have never been a fan of EW's on anything as I feel they are a high margin product sold by dealers. However I did buy one on a Saturn Relay I had and it did pay off with a failed tranny. Do we know what the pricing will be on the EW's yet for the C8?
The couple of numbers I quoted were from a PDF that was provided to me by my sales rep so assume the dealerships should have them. The top of the quote says 2020 Chevrolet Corvette. I’d prefer not to share the PDF without asking the sales rep first. It’s pretty lengthy as it has numerous options by number of months, km, and deductible.

Reactions: ABC
I did see other posts on extended warranty being good for resale, won’t help me as I’m not looking at selling. Never thought of negotiating the price on extended warranty.

It's one of the reasons I bought my current used C7. If the previous owner abused the car it's a feeling of safety it can be repaired. Well I hope they cover it!

ABC has a point. Read the fine print. I have. And find out who underwrites the extended warranty and look up some Google reviews. Some third party warranty carriers had terrible reviews. GM was one of the better ones... FCPP which my dealer offered wasn't even close to one of the better reviewed ones... lol.... I passed on the extra warranty.

Reactions: ABC
Was wondering about what you think about acquiring the extended warranty. I understand that everyone’s situation is different. I am 65 and planning on keeping my C8. I will likely put less than 5000 km on the car each year. I also own a 55 Chevy and will hope to drive that as well. I typically stay away from a major model change in the first year but I made an exception because I think this will be an exceptional car.
I haven’t checked with my dealership but I think you can get the extended warranty up until the 3 year standard warranty expires, so that may give us some experience.
The price I’ve been quoted which are relevant to me are 60mo/60000km 0 deductible for $2700 and 84mo/60000km 0 deductible $3350. The 60 and 84 months start from when you acquire the car not the end of the standard warranty.
Not sure if there is any advantage in taking the extended warranty at the time you buy the car other than perhaps price increase later.
i have it but have never read the fine print,probably should

I bought a genuine Ford Extended Warranty on my 2014 Ford Raptor that I waited till it had 59900 KM to purchase. Some feedback from that experience is, shop around I purchased this warranty from a Ford dealer that I had not bought the truck from, gave me the opportunity to have the vehicle for 3 years to see if the truck was a lemon and the repair cost, make sure what deductible I liked and same category rental car loaner, better idea how much longer I planned to keep the truck.

Was it worth it? Absolutely yes as I had the fox shocks replaced at 90 000 km at a cost of $ 3800 alone plus approx. another $3000 of extra parts and labour during that period ( air cooled seat, HID headlight seal, etc..) . Sold the truck with 1 year of a 6 year warranty left, made for an easy sell. My 2c

Gilles

You can always buy it before your factory warranty expires so there is no urgency to get it. Maybe you can swing a better deal when you purchase the car but I'm not sure. Lots of threads and discussions on this here. I personally did not buy it but many folks did and continue to so your question has big merit.

Good luck with your decision.

My favorite part of the new car sales process. The rust proofing, the "scotch guarding", and the extended warranty sales pitch by the Business Manager. Can't get the keys until you run the "gauntlet"

You are so right. It took longer to sit through that nonsense than anything else. Finally I stopped the "Finance" person and said "look lady... just let me pay for my car and go"

On the last one; the 17Z , I was super annoyed. :ROFL:

I remember my GF buying her Honda Fit , they tried pushing her a VIP cleaning kit for 450$. I opened the trunk and saw this VIP kit I couldn't believe it! It consisted of a plastic bucket, sponge, a rag and car shampoo and a few other things, the kicker is all the items had dollorama stickers on them!!! I counted it up and it was less than 13$ for a mark up of 450$!!! I wanted her to buy the car somewhere else but she still bought it there (without the kit). They still screwed her by forcing her for 4-5 year of oil changes saying it would void the warranty. Also rust proofing voided the warranty.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
My favorite part of the new car sales process. The rust proofing, the "scotch guarding", and the extended warranty sales pitch by the Business Manager. Can't get the keys until you run the "gauntlet"

With the C8 demand being what it is, you’ve less bargaining power, but my solution to the “after sale warranty and extras pressure” when buying a new vehicle is as follows: never agree on a price for the vehicle until you negotiate all the extras as well. So insist you’ll not commit to anything until the ENTIRE dollar value is known, including all extras from the finance department. That way you maintain your bargaining power. So you explain to the finance person that you haven’t committed to the vehicle and won’t, until you’re satisfied on the cost of everything including the extended warranty, Xpel Ultimate, tire and rim warranty, dent/scrape warranty, windshield warranty, and extra servicing package (ie. oil/filter changes). The dealership has LOTS of room to move on those items so it will typically reduce the cost on them, but not as much if you’ve already purchased the vehicle and you’re seen as a “captive audience”.

With the C8 demand being what it is, you’ve less bargaining power, but my solution to the “after sale warranty and extras pressure” when buying a new vehicle is as follows: never agree on a price for the vehicle until you negotiate all the extras as well. So insist you’ll not commit to anything until the ENTIRE dollar value is known, including all extras from the finance department. That way you maintain your bargaining power. So you explain to the finance person that you haven’t committed to the vehicle and won’t, until you’re satisfied on the cost of everything including the extended warranty, Xpel Ultimate, tire and rim warranty, dent/scrape warranty, windshield warranty, and extra servicing package (ie. oil/filter changes). The dealership has LOTS of room to move on those items so it will typically reduce the cost on them, but not as much if you’ve already purchased the vehicle and you’re seen as a “captive audience”.

You are correct but beyond the warranty; you can also get all this stuff from a stand-alone shop for usually a lot less money and a far better job if the dealer is doing it "in house"
That's from experience and the content of a few past threads on here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.