Dec 29, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Just had my C8 aligned. My thanks to Scott Murfin at CanAlignment who did a great job!

I went with GM track specs, but with less aggressive camber, front toe to zero, without relocating the washers. Having done many cars before, I wanted a street/track compromise that wouldn't result in excessive wear of the inside edges on the street, yet not kill the outside edges of my tires in a single track day. From previous experience with other cars I was looking at -1.0 to -1.5 on the front, -0.9 to -1.3 on the rear. From talking with Scott (who runs a C4 and has a lot of experience setting up cars) we decided to go with -1.3 F, -1.1 R because I'd be occasionally running at tighter tracks. For comparison this is still quite a "streetable" setting as many cars like Porsche GT3s and Skyline GT-Rs run -1.5 or over from the factory.

Results were immediately noticeable. The stock alignment I found results in understeer on entry with a sudden snap to oversteer as you set the car and transfer the weight getting on the power. This is now gone. It's also a lot harder to engage the TC on corner exits. A lot more planted and predictable overall. Tracks well on the highway without any "seeking" due to road crown/camber. So far very happy with the results. For long term tire wear I'll see, and possibly have the camber adjusted again accordingly if I find my driving habits are wearing either the inside or outside edges of the tires excessively.

I'd highly recommend adding a bit of camber to the C8 even if it's a street use only car. Be careful about certain alignment shops, many don't understand that the C8 needs the rear hub angle set to zero (some call this rear caster), as this is not adjustable on most cars.

Last edited:
Did Scott have you sit in the car while he did the alignment? He did my car a few years ago and I was sitting in the driver's seat while he did it at his insistent.

My car did drive better but steering wheel was slightly off. I ended up going to my buddies shop a day or two later and he straighten out my wheel while not disturbing the alignment setting Scott had dialed in to my car.

I might do another alignment next year or so and have been talking with Pat at Altech about it so probably will go there (a lot closer for me).

Did Scott have you sit in the car while he did the alignment? He did my car a few years ago and I was sitting in the driver's seat while he did it at his insistent.

My car did drive better but steering wheel was slightly off. I ended up going to my buddies shop a day or two later and he straighten out my wheel while not disturbing the alignment setting Scott had dialed in to my car.

I might do another alignment next year or so and have been talking with Pat at Altech about it so probably will go there (a lot closer for me).
Yes, sat in the car while he did it. I think it can make a very small difference.

We also put it on the scales to check the cross weights to see if it would benefit from adjustment. No adjustment needed. 50.2% with me in it and about 6/10ths fuel.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering where to get a good C8 alignment without a visit to the dealership.
Your specs sound exactly what I was looking for as I intend to enjoy a few evenings at TMP running some fast laps. I installed the Eibach antisway bars in an effort to reduce understeer and roll so I can get away with less camber. So far with just the rear bar installed the initial understeer and snap to oversteer is greatly reduced. With the adjustability of these bars I should be able to hit that neutral sweet spot without -3 on the front end. :)

Reactions: slegros
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering where to get a good C8 alignment without a visit to the dealership.
Your specs sound exactly what I was looking for as I intend to enjoy a few evenings at TMP running some fast laps. I installed the Eibach antisway bars in an effort to reduce understeer and roll so I can get away with less camber. So far with just the rear bar installed the initial understeer and snap to oversteer is greatly reduced. With the adjustability of these bars I should be able to hit that neutral sweet spot without -3 on the front end. :)
There was guy on another forum who ran 10 days or so a year at the Nurburgring, and also did a lot of touring in his C8. He ran -1.5F, -1.3R and the pics of his tires at the end of the season looked great! Very even wear on the stock PS4Ss. Scott said he was running -1.0 on his C4 and a doing a lot at the big track at Mosport, and had a ton of takeoffs that looked evenly worn. I also looked at -1.0F, -0.9R but decided to go -1.3F, -1.1R as kind of compromise to allow for shorter tracks, see how the tire wear is, and make adjustments if needed. An educated guess that will hopefully work out. You no doubt get something from the bars, but you may still want to keep an eye on the outside edges at track days depending on the camber you decide to run.

Last edited: