Zora

Corvettes & Road Trips: Priceless
Regular
Sep 23, 2018
U.S. Pacific Northwest
VetteCoins
All of the numbers in the below cited thread refer to U.S. sales, and we know Canadian C7 sales have been falling at an even larger rate. Sad, for many of us love our C7, still have a crush on them.

MidEngineCorvetteForum said:
There were 1,382 Corvettes sales in October, 2018, roughly the same as last October, but total new Corvettes sales this year for the first ten months, were 16,263 compared to 20,236 last year, a 20% decline from one year ago.*

IF sales this November and December were to continue as the same rate October sales, which is highly debate-able due to winter setting in in many parts of the country, there would be a total of 19,027 new Corvette sales this year. More than likely however due to weather, there would be a further decline in sales the next two \months, so perhaps around 18,250 total C7 sales this entire year.

A couple of notes:

1) When comparable annual sales projections were done just two months ago, it was projected that annual 2018 Corvette sales would be approximately 20,500 units this entire year.

2)* These October 2018 sales numbers appeared in GM Inside Line, but were/are not officially and separately confirmed by General Motors. As they are detailed for every model within GM’s lineup at the link, it does not look like they were arbitrarily just made up. However, since GM sales numbers are no longer being publicly shared except at the end of each quarter, my guess is these number were “bootlegged” from within GM.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...-sales-290495/

3) Compare this 2018 projected 18,250 total C7 sales with actual 25,029 new Corvette sales just last year. (Source=General Motors as reported in CorvetteBlogger). This further compares to 29,995 new Corvette sales for 2016 (again thanks to our friends at CorvetteBlogger).

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...orvette-sales/

For those who are thinking that such progressive, sharp, annual C7 sales declines point to a reduced percentage chance that C7 FE sales would continue next year, these numbers support your thesis.

Tags: stingray

C7 Ever Declining Sales - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

My brother-in-law (now retired), who was managing the Magna International plant in East Lansing, Michigan, had the contract to build the electronically controlled rear end differential for all the Vettes, as well as the Cadillacs and Camaros assembled in the Grand River plant. He told me that the production numbers were cut back as the CTS-V sales were poor (uses the same diff), thus leaving plenty of parts for the Corvettes, who's numbers were not that great either.

... and here's the thing that can motivate me ...
Some Dealer Selling by stating low production, high demand, therefore a premium added to this car.
When it just might very well be no customers buying, cut back production, yikes no demand - don't admit it.
So, if you know of your Corvette being on a lot somewhere, it is an awesome opportunity to drop an
offer on the desk of a Manager and say ... "Call me when the price is good for you to negotiate".
The Buyer has nothing to lose over the Winter Months as the Dealers Store these Corvettes.
Been there done it, visited the Dealer at least once per month. When asked, just stated I was checking
to see if my offer was good enough yet. The car did not move for another 90 days, got a phone call that actually ended up really really really close ... and so we bought #2. No harm, no foul ... as the task was serious and kept reasonable and respectful. I will admit, learning this over 23 new buys and half as many referrals, that it does need a truly respectful Dealership Employee which sadly may be the most difficult part to find.

Last edited:
The only issue I see is if you wait too long you may have to compromise on your option list. I bought now because the price and the car were right. If it ends up being a couple thousand cheaper in 8 months, oh well, it is what it is. Doesn't change my life and I now have all winter to dream and shop for mods.

The only issue I see is if you wait too long you may have to compromise on your option list. I bought now because the price and the car were right. If it ends up being a couple thousand cheaper in 8 months, oh well, it is what it is. Doesn't change my life and I now have all winter to dream and shop for mods.
... if your reply is in response to "what can motivate me" ...
There's no option compromise as the car is already on the lot - the risk is that someone else buys it.
So one has to go into it knowing just that ... which might be likely what you are stating ...
where you may have to compromise options or add options going to a "plan B" car on the lot.
That's actually why we went for a fully loaded Corvette as the lesser expensive would sell more quickly
in the depressed market (saw this happen between two dealerships in Calgary where one had 1LT and 1LZ driving off the lot and the other struggled to sell their 3LT & 2/3LZs)

Reactions: Dantanman
... if your reply is in response to "what can motivate me" ...
There's no option compromise as the car is already on the lot - the risk is that someone else buys it.
So one has to go into it knowing just that ... which might be likely what you are stating ...
where you may have to compromise options or add options going to a "plan B" car on the lot.
That's actually why we went for a fully loaded Corvette as the lesser expensive would sell more quickly
in the depressed market (saw this happen between two dealerships in Calgary where one had 1LT and 1LZ driving off the lot and the other struggled to sell their 3LT & 2/3LZs)
Respect for the buyer is paramount!

Reactions: Dik and YFCvii
Very good idea guys! If you find one that you like, with the setup and equipment that you want, be realistic with yourself and the dealer with the price you would really like to pay, and stick with that price. Present the dealer with your offer on paper, including your name number, etc. Wait it out, keeping tabs as too how long the car is sitting there, watch how close you are towards springtime. If time has passed with no response, drop the dealer a line, a gentle push to show you are still interested. After financing that vehicle all winter, I'm sure that they want to get rid of it.
In my own experience, I had seen a really nice '86 Vette on line while I was shopping around, a little bit more than I wanted to pay at the time. In the interim,I found a '93 Dark Rose 6 speed with a rough interior for $6500. Subsequently, after owning this car for about three weeks, I decided that the restoration expense was going to be beyond my willingness to part with large monies. At that point, I went to the dealership that had the '86, checked it out to my satisfaction, and cut a "no money" swap deal for my '93, which also has a provenance as being one of only 50 C4 40th Anniversary coupes produced with the existing equipment, verified with documentation. The '86 was advertised at $10000, so I basically came out ahead in monetary value, as well as a vehicle in far superior condition, requiring minimal expense and work with regards to restoration. Note that the car had sat on the dealership lot for over 7 months unsold, and showing up with a shiny, newer Vette peaked the salesman's interest. He eventually sold it about a month and a half later, for how much I don't know. (on line for $10000) So it was a mutual "good for both" situation
in the end.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! Don't get attached to a vehicle until you actually own it! It's hard not to do when it comes to a Vette...but you have to give yourself the best shot at the best deal, and you cannot cloud your judgement with excitement
A few may know that my wife's and my purchases resemble a few of your remarks …
8 weeks elapsed in 2016 and 3 months in 2017. We got fortunate.
Respectful patience was a virtue. Negotiated purchases between 10% and not more than 20% off MSRP.
then 0% financing, no doc fees, gst included. Used a bunch of Scotia GM Visa benefits on top of that in the finalizing of the paperwork.
Everyone happy :thumbs: except an ATS-V Cadillac Dealer and a 2SS Camaro Dealer that were also being considered in 2017 (all the same color as the vette).
I was impressed having the Dealer Owner present at the delivery of the corvette for my Wife.
Only drawback for me is that I have to get used to the passenger seat when only taking hers on the road ...
0C3CC1E8-A713-4AB9-8900-FF5F02DE039E.jpeg
(His & Hers with teen Daughter on our 1st vette road trip together for the 2018 Cold Lake Air Show)

Dealership remains awesome and has received 4 high-end new (2) on-lot & (2) brought-in referrals from me since ... and more in the works ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zora and Dantanman
It sounds like you vette owners in the west have it down pat in buying a C7. I have been interested in buying a C7 for next spring and have visited 5 dealers to see what deal I could get on C7 with around $10,000 of options on a Stingray coupe. Three stated $ 84,000 range taxes included, one after negotiation came down to $ 82,600, the last one came down to $82,000. Since you gentlemen have had experience buying wondering what you think of this last offer? I realize I need to order sometime in December in order to get the C 7 by May 2019. Thanks.

Reactions: YFCvii
It sounds like you vette owners in the west have it down pat in buying a C7. I have been interested in buying a C7 for next spring and have visited 5 dealers to see what deal I could get on C7 with around $10,000 of options on a Stingray coupe. Three stated $ 84,000 range taxes included, one after negotiation came down to $ 82,600, the last one came down to $82,000. Since you gentlemen have had experience buying wondering what you think of this last offer? I realize I need to order sometime in December in order to get the C 7 by May 2019. Thanks.

Unless you have your heart set on a factory order, there are some awfully good lot deals out there too. For example, Red Deer has a 2LT Coupe for $ 70,000.00 and a 2LT GS Vert on the lot for $ 84,800..

I'm going to suggest to my friend, the General Sales Manager at Northgate gm that he look into offering "insider deals" to members of this forum. My thoughts are they could take smaller margins for extra volume. Win/Win!
I find it better when referring individuals with a specific vehicle in mind. An across the board flat rate deal never has me sold as there’s always a negotiation. It’s like Costco membership getting you $1k off a Ford - no big deal. I do like things that stack up a discount though. The best thing I’ve found to sweeten any deal is the Scotia GM Visa Credit Card as I have already used $10k in benefits on three vehicles. Say hello to Mike for me please ... (Spence)

Reactions: Dantanman
Re pricing, I factory ordered a 2019 GS Vert 1LT in October 2017 with select options, from a relative in the business. I took delivery mid May 2018. I was able to see dealer cost as well as MSRP. I paid $79,796 + tax and retail was $89,992 + tax, incl freight & PDI. So basically, the margin was $10k. In terms of options, I saw roughly a 25% increase from cost to MSRP, so basically every $1,000 in options cost was $750. Happy shopping!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.