YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Hello,
Doing my due diligence researching and creating a roadside self rescue kit for a lengthy road trip I am doing this year.
Can anyone confirm the jacking height required to the point that will lift the front tire and/or rear tire off the pavement?
I'm measuring about 8" of clearance with the C7 on the ground ...
When considering a compact (for minimal storage) jack, I am finding it states it has a 6 1/2" jack height and thinking that just might not do it at all ...
Thanks y'all ...
Spence

Was bored in garage and wanted to try the audi compact jack anyways. Just tried the front. At wheel liftoff here it is. About 9.5" including the 3 1/8" tape. Anyone needing the jack have a second available and it fits the cargo cubby hole nicely

20190318_133424.jpg20190318_133414.jpg

:Cheers2:. Now what tire iron to get that also fits in the storage bin:Confused5:
OK ... sounding like you carry the tools and I'll carry the min 4.9% "pops" ... and off we go ... as the destination really doesn't really matter :joyful:

... i'll likely be making up a small duffle for the "kit" ... there goes the space for one more case of beer :confused:

Last edited:
Picked up and tried two cheap jack options (low bottle jack and a scissor jack) today and they are .... crap
.... back to the drawing board (I'm just not sure about that 1/2 scissor jack too)
... at least I got to sit in and start up my C7s and smile

... back to thinking about that pricey one from CalCarCover.
even though there would still be room for beer but nothing left in the wallet to buy it :Sorry:

Last edited:
Picked up and tried two cheap jack options (low bottle jack and a scissor jack) today and they are .... crap
.... back to the drawing board (I'm just not sure about that 1/2 scissor jack too)
... at least I got to sit in and start up my C7s and smile ... back to thinking about that pricey one from CalCarCover.

there would still be room for beer but nothing left in the wallet to buy it :Sorry:
I tried my newly acquired Mercedes Aluminum jack today to see if I had an answer for your half scissor jack thoughts. It took two tries to get the jack sitting just right. Well I was sure it was just right. I got my C5 just high enough and stepped back to check the clearance under the tire, when there was a bang and the jack flew out from under the car in 2 pieces. If it wasn’t up against the jacking puck, it would have taken paint on the way out. Glad I wasn’t still knelt down beside the jack. So now I am back to the CaCarCover jack as well. Trying to add a picture of where the jack landed but my phone is taking forever.

I tried my newly acquired Mercedes Aluminum jack today to see if I had an answer for your half scissor jack thoughts. It took two tries to get the jack sitting just right. Well I was sure it was just right. I got my C5 just high enough and stepped back to check the clearance under the tire, when there was a bang and the jack flew out from under the car in 2 pieces. If it wasn’t up against the jacking puck, it would have taken paint on the way out. Glad I wasn’t still knelt down beside the jack. So now I am back to the CaCarCover jack as well. Trying to add a picture of where the jack landed but my phone is taking forever.
Wow ... due diligence ... sooooo glad you are not hurt ... sooooo glad no material damage to the vehicle.
You gotta hate spending a lot of money until you are pretty much assured/convinced of getting what you pay for versus just spending a lot of $$$.
Thank you for sharing this with us :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: I'm pretty much sold on it now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bixter44
What was the maximum load rating of the Mercedes jack?
That's where I wish the picture had worked. The part that broke was the plastic piece that goes up against the jacking puck. It let go and everything spun out from under the car in 2 pieces. Which was actually a good thing. No weight specs came with the jack. I looked up curb weights of C Class Mercs from 2005 and up. Just a middle of the road Mercedes. They started out about the same as a C5 and got heavier by 300 pounds in 2019.

Now that the cheap plastic piece is gone, the aluminum bracket underneath might mate even better with my jacking puck. But these were perfect jacking conditions. On a shoulder of the road that isn't quite level, I don't know if I trust it.

Reactions: ddgermann
That's where I wish the picture had worked. The part that broke was the plastic piece that goes up against the jacking puck. It let go and everything spun out from under the car in 2 pieces. Which was actually a good thing. No weight specs came with the jack. I looked up curb weights of C Class Mercs from 2005 and up. Just a middle of the road Mercedes. They started out about the same as a C5 and got heavier by 300 pounds in 2019.

Now that the cheap plastic piece is gone, the aluminum bracket underneath might mate even better with my jacking puck. But these were perfect jacking conditions. On a shoulder of the road that isn't quite level, I don't know if I trust it.
WOW ... I just signed up for a Montana Mailbox Shipping address to Sweet Grass ... it'll be worth the daytrip from Calgary now

... back stepping to researching a bulk order again ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread