Power User
Jun 21, 2011
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1970 & 2015 Stingray
Province
AB
I finally decided to rip the Stingray apart on Saturday to install my MGW short throw shifter I had purchased over a year ago. The entire console and waterfall needed to be removed for the project. Removed the original whimpy shifter and then installed sound and heat deadening on torque tube and inside console. Once there, the business end of the install began. Installed, lubed and aligned the new shifter, what a magnificent piece of engineering. The craftsmanship is second to none. It was actually kinda fun to align, very good online video's and instructions. Finished up by reinstalling the console and waterfall ass'y. I ordered the knob shaft ass'y to fit the factory knob for a factory look. All in, taking my time and cleaning as I went along, the project took about 5 hours.

Took the car for a test drive in the residential and then out to Spruce Grove. Wow! What a difference. This shifter is a completely different animal. It has slightly shorter throws, but the highlight is the the very solid and positive shifts now. No more slop when changing gears and downshifting. Slightly harder to push the shifter into gear than the factory sloppy unit, but not an issue at all. I can't believe GM would not have intalled these from the factory. I will report more detail once I return back from Westfest in BC. Should be nicely broke in by then.

If anyone is unhappy with the factor manual shifter, I highly suggest the MGW as a very high quality replacement piece. It is also available for the C5 and C6. I ordered directly from MGW and phoned in the order. They are not set up for Canadian orders on their website however, due to it only accepting zip codes. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very helpful and cooperative.

This shifter is definately worth the time and money to install IMHO.

I finally decided to rip the Stingray apart on Saturday...
WOW Ziggy @turbozig
I definitely know it's in you but I can't quite :Snaphappy:PICTURE:Snaphappy: you having your C7 A-p-a-R-T :Woot:
and for the next Show and Shine I'm watching you … :Watching:
You are in the Modifieds now "Mr. Shifty :Shifty: "
and the next trophy :Hurray: is all mine for me to dust on my shelf :joyful:

Last edited:
Shifters like some fine wines apparently get better with age.:Biggrin:

Good write up Ziggy.:thumbs:

I would like to drive a C5 with on installed to actually feel the difference. Other reviews I have read echo your thoughts on the MGW product.

• Love
Reactions: Bizbiz911
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.