May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Good day, folks.

I've got a C7 question on a base Stingray. I bought a Blackvue 900X dashcam (4K), and am looking for guidance on best installation procedures. I've scoured Youtube but the only vids I've managed to find are (a) installation failures - like trying to tap into the mirror wire loom which it seems doesn't work, likely due to insufficient current availability through light gauge wires - but no real alternatives for the DIY'er, or (b) videos of a successful install but not showing any details at all about how they did it (I think one in particular, if not all the successful install vids were from Pro Installer shops, trying not to give away any secrets).

My main (actually, my only) concern is routing the power leads from the dash cam installed under the mirror mount over to the front of the passenger side floor trim without looking too "ghetto" with visible wires snaking over top of the windshield trim on the A pillar.

Has anybody got a link to a good install video or other suggestion showing some detail on the best way to route the cables?

Thanks,

Late Life Crisis ("LLC")

Just a not great way to hide dashcam wires ….
Yoikes …. 😱 ….. mines factory built in … whew
804FD706-DF39-4209-B687-7A793C316A8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Good day, folks.

I've got a C7 question on a base Stingray. I bought a Blackvue 900X dashcam (4K), and am looking for guidance on best installation procedures. I've scoured Youtube but the only vids I've managed to find are (a) installation failures - like trying to tap into the mirror wire loom which it seems doesn't work, likely due to insufficient current availability through light gauge wires - but no real alternatives for the DIY'er, or (b) videos of a successful install but not showing any details at all about how they did it (I think one in particular, if not all the successful install vids were from Pro Installer shops, trying not to give away any secrets).

My main (actually, my only) concern is routing the power leads from the dash cam installed under the mirror mount over to the front of the passenger side floor trim without looking too "ghetto" with visible wires snaking over top of the windshield trim on the A pillar.

Has anybody got a link to a good install video or other suggestion showing some detail on the best way to route the cables?

Thanks,

Late Life Crisis ("LLC")
Guessing your C7 doesn't have the PDR?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Well we can see you are a party animal and like Las Vegas.
Now you need to hang a pair of beautiful velvet lobster claws Spence. LOL
Ya mines built-in … whew …
no need for “plan b” 😂

Vettes are out west … lobster claws taboo.
But steer horns on the nose might be ok 🤣

As far as after market cams go …
I just have resorted to a wire hanging from the mirror down to to the usb plug-in when needed for my sierra … same as our kid’s trax.

Last edited:
Guessing your C7 doesn't have the PDR?
Correct - I wish it did, but it's pretty much the base car with only a couple of options on it (I would have saved mucho $$$ not having to buy the Blackvue - and all the previous cams I've bought for my other vehicles were destined for the electronics recycling bin within months after buying them. The Blackvue seems to have good durability and reliability based on the reviews.

Correct - I wish it did, but it's pretty much the base car with only a couple of options on it (I would have saved mucho $$$ not having to buy the Blackvue - and all the previous cams I've bought for my other vehicles were destined for the electronics recycling bin within months after buying them. The Blackvue seems to have good durability and reliability based on the reviews.
I know a few guys that have wired their radar detector into the mirror power but I have no idea what the dash cam wants to draw for amperage. The mirror tap is fairly simple it seems if you are patient. Here's a vid of a radar detector mirror tap.

I know a few guys that have wired their radar detector into the mirror power but I have no idea what the dash cam wants to draw for amperage. The mirror tap is fairly simple it seems if you are patient. Here's a vid of a radar detector mirror tap.

Thanks. Very interesting, I might give that a try. One memher also PM’d me with similar info. It’s good to have a knowledge base like this handy.

LLC

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I Have my Valentine V1 wired into the mirror power with no problem. You might check the Valentine web site to see how much power it draws and compare to your dash cam power draw before tapping in.
Cheers,
Bob

To Rruff Day & C7 Bob.....

Thanks, great info and from the video that Rruff Day referenced it'll be easier than I thought. I checked the power draw specs on my Blackvue 900X 1-channel, and with only GPS & camera on it draws 250 mAmp - with the WiFi/GPS and camera it draws 310 mAmp. So it appears I'm good to go, that's far less power than the V1.

Thanks again, great suggestions and knowledge shared.

L.L.C.

Get a professional to do the job. The minute you break something you will be saying words that cant be printed here. They have all the right tools and knowledge. Don't cheap out. It's no as expensive as you may think. I have used these guys and they are amazing. They also sell all kinds of dash cams but if you have already bought one that doesn't matter. They did a perfect job on another car of mine.

Get a professional to do the job. The minute you break something you will be saying words that cant be printed here. They have all the right tools and knowledge. Don't cheap out. It's no as expensive as you may think. I have used these guys and they are amazing. They also sell all kinds of dash cams but if you have already bought one that doesn't matter. They did a perfect job on another car of mine.

Good advice - I'll check with them, they're only about 30 minutes away from my place. The reason I was going to install myself was that all the pieces came with the Blackvue, and I didn't realize until I got into the package how much of a PITA it would be to route wiring to the rear battery.

Thanks, Kerry4.

LLC

Reactions: kerry4
Good advice - I'll check with them, they're only about 30 minutes away from my place. The reason I was going to install myself was that all the pieces came with the Blackvue, and I didn't realize until I got into the package how much of a PITA it would be to route wiring to the rear battery.

Thanks, Kerry4.

LLC
No problem. Glad I could help. You will be impressed with these guys. I even gave the guys in the shop a nice tip for doing such a great job. I had the Blackvue 750 front and rear installed a few years ago. Honestly it's not worth the risk. It was worth the money. Let me know how you make out. Tell Jeff I recommended them. It was actually installed on a Tesla Model S performance. Hate to admit I once owned a Tesla. LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread