here's my best. This was a few week ago, prior to when the recommended break in period was over so not sure i'll ever see this again now that I'm on the pedal a little harder.... lol...

Finally a run.jpg

When you think about the performance potential of these cars the milage you are getting is just short of incredible. In the muscle car era you could pass a lot of cars. You could not pass a gas station.

Impressive numbers. I know I have got over 30 mpg (sorry only number that makes sense to me) with the C5 but there does not seem to be any question that the newer generations have gotten even more efficient.

I will state that I am absolutely sure us Z06 owners are envious of Stingray owners when it comes to mileage. There is simply no way we can post anything even remotely close to these numbers, no matter how prudent we drive. I think the best I ever did was low 10s on our trip and I could have probably dragged thaty down to high 9s if I would have gone the speed limit at any given time.

When you think about the performance potential of these cars the milage you are getting is just short of incredible. In the muscle car era you could pass a lot of cars. You could not pass a gas station.

Impressive numbers. I know I have got over 30 mpg (sorry only number that makes sense to me) with the C5 but there does not seem to be any question that the newer generations have gotten even more efficient.
I really hate to do this to you Murray but the 7.3 l/100km average showing on my dash equates to just over 38.8 mpg.... that was in 7th gear and you can see my speed and the rpms.... thats the efficiency.... not much higher than an idle..... but, that being said, it doesn't take much of a prolonged push on the throttle to drop that down to 8 mpg.... lol...

Wow those are some impressive numbers. Just to compare my C6 Z06 does around 14.5L /100km city and 11L/100km highway.

During the first week i got my car just over 21L/100km city :D

Hi Hiroki. Yes. I'm really pleased with the fuel mileage. My C6 coupe on a long trip and mostly highway driving at the speed limit would give me about 8.4 l/100km which I didn't sneeze at either. It was a manual as well. Murray was right on with the muscle car era comment. I owned a couple that probably averaged less that 10mpg... and that was when they were not even running....lol.... but on the other hand, when I started driving, gas was 50 cents a gallon...hmmmm.... that's 11 cents a litre....lol....

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Being that this is my first Corvette, I have to admit that I was very pleased, and quite surprised, at the fuel mileage in my C5. My son has a 2003 Ford Lightning and although he can pretty much keep up with Vette, he's lucky to do better than 10mpg

My average falls between 8.4 and 9.2, including some spirited sprints. I've seen 7.3 on a few highway trips where I completely behaved. lol.

I can't help but correct you though Ruff..... 7.3L/100km is 32mpg. The only country in the world that still uses miles is the USA, so your conversion is to US gallons, not UK. Sorry, but I hate it when people exaggerate their mileage to something that just isn't true. It's 3.8L to a gallon, not 4.3.

Nevertheless, getting over 30mpg out of a big V8 engine is stunning. I have a lot of fun surprising people with the mileage indicator on the dash, especially with how my car sounds. No one believes it gets that kind of mileage, but it does.

My average falls between 8.4 and 9.2, including some spirited sprints. I've seen 7.3 on a few highway trips where I completely behaved. lol.

I can't help but correct you though Ruff..... 7.3L/100km is 32mpg.

The only country in the world that still uses miles is the USA, so your conversion is to US gallons, not UK. Sorry, but I hate it when people exaggerate their mileage to something that just isn't true. It's 3.8L to a gallon, not 4.3.

Nevertheless, getting over 30mpg out of a big V8 engine is stunning. I have a lot of fun surprising people with the mileage indicator on the dash, especially with how my car sounds. No one believes it gets that kind of mileage, but it does.
hey Jeremiad. I am Canadian. I was raised with miles and gallons, much like 99% of the members of this forum. The 38 plus miles per gallon is imperial gallons which we used in Canada from the beginning of time and most of the members can relate to from their past. If this were an American forum, with a majority of American members, I would have talked in American terminology. If I'd have been here at all.

Last edited:
Rruuff day is correct, most of us are still thinking miles and gallons. His statement of 7.3/100 is right at 38.58 mpg . I don't think americans talk in liters and km cause they are not metric, so anyone stating their speedo readouts here in metric is probably driving a Canadian car. But 38+ mpg is awesome for that kinda power under the hood, my XFIRE is closer to 30 mpg.

L/100 is the most accurate way to measure your mileage, because there is no argument about units of measure. A liter is a liter, and a meter is a meter, no matter what country you are from.

I just chuckle a bit every time I hear an inflated mpg number and have to ask, "Is that Canadian mpg, or rest-of-the-world mpg?" Even Top Gear converts to US mpg, and given that it is an American standard of measure, it should always be measured in US units of measure. When your dash is telling you 7.3L/100, go ahead and switch to "English" in your options and see what your mpg is.

I think it is fair to say that 99% of the folks on here knew exactly what Rruff Day was referring to. I don't think the number is inflated at all, it is what he saw and what he calculated. And by the way mpg (imperial) is still the only thing that makes sense to me because I can compare to numbers from the old days and see what engineering has done with hi performance motors. Dinosaur I guess.

I'm still old skool too...but willing to try!
I used to live by MPG (Canadian gallon) for my cars.
I am slowly getting used to L/100Kms since my newer cars have that as a readout.
I have a database for my gas records in all my cars.
I enter the date, odometer reading, $$ amount of fuel and the cost of fuel in $$/Litre.(bold numbers)
The spreadsheet calculates everything else needed to give me a MPG amount per last tank and the MPG since I started the records.
MPG still rules in my world.... But I am getting used to thinking that 6.3L/100Kms is approx 40MPG in my little car.
and that an instantaneous 40+L/100Kms is 'foot deep in it' in the Corvette!!!
10L/100Kms is probably good. 8L/100Kms is better.

Here's a sample of my spreadsheet records...
Date Odometer Kms $$$ $/L MPG total Kms total MPG

20151011 56995 421 $60.02 1.099 21.92 7314 23.75 Langley Safeway 91
20160501 57514
519 $75.00 1.189 23.40 7638 23.74 Langley Safeway 91 6 cents off coupon.
20160514 57886 372 $64.88 1.199 19.55 7871 23.59 Langley Safeway 91 6 cents off coupon.
20160616 58297
411 $86.12 1.419 19.26 8128 23.42 Aldergrove Chevron 94

So I know for a fact that I have gone 8128Kms and got 23.42MPG over that time.
The background calculations will tell me total Litres used, total gallons used, total miles, etc.
I plan to add another field soon to show L/100Kms... as soon as I figure out the back ground conversion calculation.

I can then look back at my results and try and justify the numbers or figure out how much FUN I had in the last two tankfulls that only got me 19MPG...LOL
The C5 can get me 29-30MPG on the hwy using cruise on open highways at close to recommended speed limit. ...
But some spirited highway thru the mountainsdriving nets 24-25-26MPG.

I don't have C7 but I thought I would jump in here...I'll go away now!
I guess the new C7s have more data available in the readout.
thanx
graham

L/100 is the most accurate way to measure your mileage, because there is no argument about units of measure. A liter is a liter, and a meter is a meter, no matter what country you are from.

I just chuckle a bit every time I hear an inflated mpg number and have to ask, "Is that Canadian mpg, or rest-of-the-world mpg?" Even Top Gear converts to US mpg, and given that it is an American standard of measure, it should always be measured in US units of measure. When your dash is telling you 7.3L/100, go ahead and switch to "English" in your options and see what your mpg is.
I guess you're hearing the answer to your question...... That's Canadian mpg....Two things old dogs like me know for certain. We don't learn new tricks (unless it's our girlfriends teaching them) and we don't give a $hit what the "rest-of-the-world" thinks :Smug: ...!

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Where I'm from we inherited the terminology and the unit of measure from the British as well. But being pig-headed Maritimers, we promptly changed it's name from Imperial gallon to Canadian gallon eh!
We also eliminated the pint, as a pint of ale was barely enough to taste. That was when we invented the quart and as soon as the British became aware that the Maritimes had invented the quart, and it was twice as big as their pint, they decided to adopt it in their pubs too and now they claim it as a British Imperial unit of measure as well....

I think all of that is in a Maritime history book somewhere.... :Cheers2: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :mooning::mooning::mooning:

I think the best my car ever did was a 6.7 l/100km which is 42 mpg (Imperial) or 35 mpg (US).

Funny that I always did everything in US gallons not realizing we used imperial gallons back in the day. For some reason I always thought it was US gallons and the Imperial gallon was just something invented to mess us up in school. I mean, we spell tire "tire" and not "tyre". So as a youngishster, I never knew outside of putting a u in colour, neighbour, and favourite, what else was dragged over from Britain (outside of the whole metric system).

Well.....Riley.... Now that I'm well reminded how much older than dirt I am....... hahaha.... It really surprises me that you never knew that Canada use to use the Imperial form of measurement.... You see, when we young and sent to the central village by our mothers to bring home a bucket of rendered Wooly Mamouth oil for heating and cooking, we were told to carry as much as we could due to it being such an aduous journey to make. Especially during the eleven month winters we had when I was a kid during the ice age. So we would tell the tribal hunter's wives to fill our buckets more than normal. We still called it a gallon and it became accepted as a larger gallon and needed a new designation. Imperial......

If you'd have chosen Civil as your discipline, the Hydraulic Engineering prof would have likely told you this story.... :rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.