Dec 21, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
BC
Hi there, can those who have boarded ferries share their experience in doing so. I will be going to Vancouver Island just off the West coast and wondering how you have fared in boarding and exiting a (large) ferry. As a fyi, I lowered my car 1/2" and have never had an issue on any road I have traveled. I can easily raise it to stock height again.... thanks 🚢

I have had my Vette on one ferry (not Vancouver) and had no problem as they weren't packing cars like sardines and I was allowed to stay with my car. I look at those Island ferrys and how tight they appear to be parked and shudder thinking how many door dings and ass rubs down the side of my car I will get.... As far as clearance goes, I didn't have a problem but I'm not lowered either.

I have had my Vette on one ferry (not Vancouver) and had no problem as they weren't packing cars like sardines and I was allowed to stay with my car. I look at those Island ferrys and how tight they appear to be parked and shudder thinking how many door dings and ass rubs down the side of my car I will get.... As far as clearance goes, I didn't have a problem but I'm not lowered either.

Thanks Rruuff, I agree. The tight spacing on the bigger vessels is also a bit worrisome..... thanks for the feedback.

Too bad really, as the drive from Victoria to Sooke (and further north) in a C7 would be a glorious way to spend a couple of days. Looking at the video, for me its the ass rubs on my car that would drive me insane.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
This is a really good question. I have trouble believing that the ramps would always be Vette friendly. And then there's how tight the cars are packed in. I asked One True Chevy Girl about this a couple of years ago. Since she lives on Vancouver Island. This is what she told me.

"So, just in case your exit plan may include Vancouver Island, honestly the ferries are not scary. I understand all your concerns with the Vette! The trick on the ferry is to pick one of the less crowded (off peak) sailings times if possible and ask to be put on the lower truck deck. It's where they put the big rigs, RVs, tour buses and so the lanes are much wider - usually double wide which gives loads of space around your car and for doors to be opened. We take turns staying with the vehicle (it's only 1 hr/20min over). Noisy yes - but worth it for peace of mind. In the 30+ years we've lived here, we've never had any damage to any vehicles whatsoever. The on/off ramps on the large ferries (ie: from VanIsld to Vancouver) are so highly adjustable, they're no problem for the Vettes. The Corvette Western Canada Conference was held in Victoria this year and the 25ish cars (C5's - C7's) that came over had no issues whatsoever. We also have Deuce Days here every 3 years - where hundreds of Deuce Coupes take over the town. They come on the Washington to Victoria ferry and many of them are SUPER low. Also, I didn't hear any mention of anybody having problems - and as you can imagine, complaints travel the fastest around a group of car peeps!

My only ferry concern would be on one of the small Gulf Island boats - like Saltspring. They pack em on like sardines while backpackers, kayakers, tree-huggers, dog walkers all maneuver through the cars bashing mirrors to get to the front of the boat. I've seen it happen."

So there you have it. Being a prairie dweller, I have limited experience on ferries. Don't know how you get a spot on the truck deck. If I was planning a trip out there I would ask Franci how that is done. Really enjoyed the times we went across on the Harleys. Motorcycles are first on and first off. It's great. We rode by over a 1/4 mile of cars and sat at the front of the line. I assume it's the same move for a car with a reservation.

Bic

As usual, great responses from everybody.! Based on the feedback I'll call BC Ferries and confirm that I would have no issue requesting to be placed on the truck level, if there is hesitation I'll prob leave the Vette home and go with one of the other cars...… thanks everyone!

Reactions: Bixter44
Hi there, can those who have boarded ferries share their experience in doing so. I will be going to Vancouver Island just off the West coast and wondering how you have fared in boarding and exiting a (large) ferry. As a fyi, I lowered my car 1/2" and have never had an issue on any road I have traveled. I can easily raise it to stock height again.... thanks 🚢
I live in West Vancouver: had my last car on several times - C5 2003 - no problem with the huge number of large speed bumps and was lucky parking on the ferry - good spot - got to terminal early to be one of the first ones on - stayed with car. Not been on yet with C7.

This is a good question and i'm almost asking the same thing a couple days ago for this .. one of the reason my Vette never out yet from the Vancouver island until now as I'm afraid my car will be stuck between the ferry and dock .
Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: Bixter44
Only experience was loading and off loading ferry crossing St Lawrence River. Tide was low at the time so was concerned about transitions but too them on an angle with no problems. Guide got a little upset that I was entering on an angle but I don’t think he realized why I was doing this.
Crowded yes, but I think most people will show respect.

Attachments

• 298A0931-F0A5-411A-BBB7-247EAF50363B.jpeg
    298A0931-F0A5-411A-BBB7-247EAF50363B.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 22
Went Vancouver to Victoria and Nanaimo to Vancouver with no issues whatsoever. Just a little scary with the cars loaded so close to each other. Made sure I was the last one out of my car and the first one in. But the on and off ramps weren't a problem.

Went Vancouver to Victoria and Nanaimo to Vancouver with no issues whatsoever. Just a little scary with the cars loaded so close to each other. Made sure I was the last one out of my car and the first one in. But the on and off ramps weren't a problem.
You must be lucky enough to be able to get in and out of your car without the door WIDE open.

Reactions: drvette
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.