Featured Thread
Jun 29, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2009 C6 Z06
Province
NS
I am in the process of doing the heads on my 2009 C6Z, I just received the AHP kit # 4 from UPS yesterday.
I got the base kit, coated and polished, but, used oe Ti intakes, new Ferrera exhaust valves, 16 pm guides and
machining. The only thing I added was new oe valve springs. This is installed in cleaned heads with seating surfaces milled.

That was $4000.00 cdn including the core charge and freight. I will get back about $1700 cdn for the cores, so, net $ 2300 cdn.
Gm head gaskets, ARP bolt kit, exhaust manifold gaskets, xover vent plugs and Dexcool added $500.00 cdn.
Local labour will be about $1000.00
so total, about $3800.00, add maybe $200 freight back to AHP cores.
If you did all DIY, you could be $3000 all in.
Fact.

I have no issue doing reconditioned intake valves. They are thoroughly inspected before reconditioning and there are no reported failures
that I could find from this process. AHP do 300 plus of these heads every year. not all done with recon valves, but many are.
I did a lot of research before going this route. My only goal was reliability, not performance improvement.
The decision you make regarding the intake valves is the biggest factor in the cost.
New oe valve or Katech or similar treated and polished valve can be $150-$200 cdn EACH, depeneding on the vendor

IMHO, the common denominator to C6Z head repairs, no matter who does them, is properly machined concentric valve guides and valve seats. This is more important than the specific parts selected. Again,my opinion.

You can easily add about $2-3000 doing these heads with new TiMoly intakes, Moldstar guides, high end springs etc.
That is not including porting or roller rockers either.
To me, not required unless you are tracking the car or adding a blower, or just have deep pockets and want the best.

And, yes if you take your car to a shop to have all this done, it is going to cost more, why won't it, doesn't mean they are crooks.
You can't make blanket statements about the cost of doing these heads as there are many options and price points available.
You need to compare apples to apples.
I would say there are 3-4 price points depending on parts used and upgrades, like porting and roller rockers.

Last edited:
Here is what is in the box.
20191109_150844.jpg

I had the heads installed last week and all went according to plan.
The piston tops, liners and combustion chambers were very clean and looks like the car has been running well.
The shop charged me $700 labour which I thought was fair.
That puts my cost at $3500 cdn plus freight back to AHP for the head cores.

Again the biggest factor in the job is the intake valves, if you go with new intakes, add about $1200.00 to $1500.00 to the whole job.
Happy camper.
I will post he AHP invoice when I get a minute.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
One more thing to mention on this job.
The local machine shop was not up to speed on this job and took 2 months to get a quote that was about 6k, but that price included new intake valves.
By that time I had committed to AHP .
I contacted a number of good Ontario shops that were familiar with the job, and could have done it properly for a reasonable price, but none could not do the exchange program that AHP does.
The exchange program solves a number of issues on my end, as in, what to do with the car while the heads are off. I couldn't leave it at the shop for a couple of weeks and didn't want tow it back and forth. Not only for the expense of tow, but these cars are not easy to tow without damage.
I drove the car to the shop and drove it home 2 days later.
Depending on where you live, the exchange program is a good option.

Last edited:
Very, very good write up and good to see some of the costs involved. I know you stated there are various price points, but how does your route compare to swapping heads with a comparable aftermarket head?

Very, very good write up and good to see some of the costs involved. I know you stated there are various price points, but how does your route compare to swapping heads with a comparable aftermarket head?
This thread is about LS7 heads. I mention that as your signature lists a C5 Z51.
My route would really be the least costly, properly done, professional job.
No need to change to aftermarket heads to address the valve issue, imho.

What do you mean by comparable aftermarket heads, re-worked GM 8452 castings or new non-GM castings?
If you are looking for performance improvements, there are a number of options , but considerably more costly than what I did.
Check Katech, WCCH, AHP, Brodix, websites for pricing.
This is WCCH,

There are often items on the US Vette forum for sale.

Last edited:
"I assume you have had no issues since??"

Nope! The car only had 11,000km on it at the time and frankly, after reading all about this, I was scared.
It turned out that nothing was 'majorly' out of spec, but any measurement over .008" is considered to be out-of-spec.

Cyl 1
Int- .008"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 3
Int- .008"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 5
Int- .009"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 7
Int- .007"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 2
Int- .010"
Exh- .007"
Cyl 4
Int- .008"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 6
Int- .010"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 8
Int- .009"
Exh- .007"

In the long run, I'm happy its done and I have peace of mind.
I do track days with the car and the last thing I needed to worry about was lunching the engine

"I assume you have had no issues since??"

Nope! The car only had 11,000km on it at the time and frankly, after reading all about this, I was scared.
It turned out that nothing was 'majorly' out of spec, but any measurement over .008" is considered to be out-of-spec.

Cyl 1
Int- .008"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 3
Int- .008"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 5
Int- .009"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 7
Int- .007"
Exh- .005"
Cyl 2
Int- .010"
Exh- .007"
Cyl 4
Int- .008"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 6
Int- .010"
Exh- .006"
Cyl 8
Int- .009"
Exh- .007"

In the long run, I'm happy its done and I have peace of mind.
I do track days with the car and the last thing I needed to worry about was lunching the engine

I didn't even check mine, just did them, 80 k on the car with no issues but better safe than sorry.

This thread is about LS7 heads. I mention that as your signature lists a C5 Z51.

Correct. I own a C5 Z51, but was asking about the LS7 as it may be a future consideration and the valve issue is well known. So, it’s best to be informed when information comes along as opposed to scrambling for information after an issue has occurred. Which is the reason for asking about the cost comparison between aftermarket and repairing the stock heads. Good to know a cost effective comparison should the time for me to upgrade to a C6Z where the previous owner has not completed any work to the engine.

Correct. I own a C5 Z51, but was asking about the LS7 as it may be a future consideration and the valve issue is well known. So, it’s best to be informed when information comes along as opposed to scrambling for information after an issue has occurred. Which is the reason for asking about the cost comparison between aftermarket and repairing the stock heads. Good to know a cost effective comparison should the time for me to upgrade to a C6Z where the previous owner has not completed any work to the engine.

Its all good, glad to help with some info.
The C6Z is an awesome car if you get this issue taken care of, I drive mine as much as I can, it is no garage queen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.