Sep 27, 2019
VetteCoins
Province
ON
I'm looking to buy a 2008+ Corvette, manual, coupe. I've been looking for a few months and this time of year of course the pickings get slim. I realize that buying a sports car in the fall sometimes can present an opportunity. Ideally I'd like a base model with the 3LT package (I would like memory seats and the gizmos), but I've seen a few GS models that are appealing.

My questions to the collective are:

1) Are prices in the spring for these vehicles truly higher?
2) Would the additional depreciation over the winter and better stock in the spring be a factor to consider?
3) Are the GS models worth the extra cost, considering this won't be a track car?
4) Any thoughts on what the C8 Corvette will do to C6/C7 prices?
5) What is the anticipated depreciation on the C6's, especially the GS models? Have their prices stabilized?
6) Most of the used models that I've seen (2008-2011) are US import because our dollar was strong a few years back. Does being a US car hurt resale here in Canada?
7) How much does color play a role in pricing/resale? I really like the look of the silver, but have been surprised that they are actually pretty rare. Is this because they are in high or low demand?

I've wanted a 'Vette for some time, and I'm just debating when would be a good time to jump in.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @ncnmra
What I can offer is a Private sale that was offered via myself and another well-known CCF member that successfully found a buyer within two weeks of posting.
Everything was absolutely up & up with this sale and a few of us CCF members actually got to cruise with the very satisfied/happy buyer a couple of months after he purchased it.
So you can look through the entire thread and see specification, mileage, condition & photos to see if it can help you to judge your plans for buying a 2008 C6.
Best of fortune on your endeavor ... which by the way ... there's no good time to jump on any Corvette than NOW.

SOLD - 2008 CORVETTE COUPE

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a 2008+ Corvette, manual, coupe. I've been looking for a few months and this time of year of course the pickings get slim. I realize that buying a sports car in the fall sometimes can present an opportunity. Ideally I'd like a base model with the 3LT package (I would like memory seats and the gizmos), but I've seen a few GS models that are appealing.

2) Would the additional depreciation over the winter and better stock in the spring be a factor to consider?
3) Are the GS models worth the extra cost, considering this won't be a track car?
5) What is the anticipated depreciation on the C6's, especially the GS models? Have their prices stabilized?
6) Most of the used models that I've seen (2008-2011) are US import because our dollar was strong a few years back. Does being a US car hurt resale here in Canada?
7) How much does color play a role in pricing/resale? I really like the look of the silver, but have been surprised that they are actually pretty rare. Is this because they are in high or low demand?

I've wanted a 'Vette for some time, and I'm just debating when would be a good time to jump in.

Thanks in advance.

You will likely get lots of opinions, and right or wrong, these are mine.... Well... Today anyway.... lol.... Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. Look them all over well... You can't go wrong getting a full mechanical inspection when you think you've found the right car either. Be patient... The right one will come along.

1) Are prices in the spring for these vehicles truly higher? I don't think prices are higher for used Vettes in the spring.Yes.There are some people that think their car might command a better buck than in the fall or winter, but it's more about the consumer. There will be more competition for vehicles in the spring as some buyers take advantage of that 6 months of our weather to save up more money.
2) Would the additional depreciation over the winter and better stock in the spring be a factor to consider? Unless you are buying new, depreciation is miniscule from fall to spring, and especially in the C6 generation, depreciation moves very slowly. My first Vette was a 2 year old 09 C6. Bought used in the spring, drove for almost 4 years and got what I paid on a trade and a big10% off my 15 C7 (purchased in September)... which MSRP discounts were pretty rare in 2015. Yes, not necessarily better but, more stock in the spring because many think it's the best time to sell but doesn't mean there aren't gret crs out there in the fall and winter.
3) Are the GS models worth the extra cost, considering this won't be a track car? If you're not tracking the car regularly and know what your wants are for trim levels and the added extras, the GS does command a bigger buck than a similarily equipped base. These cars (both the GS nd the base handle like they are on rails so for many, grabbing an extra few tenths of a second track lap time isn't important. Don't get me wrong, the GS has many options (bigger brakes, different gearing, tranny cooling, larger spoiler, etc.) so I would advise a Google search and looking if these things are important to you.. (IMHO)
4) Any thoughts on what the C8 Corvette will do to C6/C7 prices? The million dollar question... My opinion is there may be a sag in used C6/C7 prices for a bit while all the "gotta have one" buyers out there fire sale their cars for a new C8... Then as the hype wears down some, things will level off. Over a period of time I think the front engine Vette, if it does sag will recover in value... Not everyone that appreciates the classic front engine Corvette sees the C8 as the WOW... or at least not more than an instant gratification WOW. lol...
5) What is the anticipated depreciation on the C6's, especially the GS models? Have their prices stabilized? If someone has the right answer to that question, also ask them what the stock prices for Google shares are going to do....lol...
6) Most of the used models that I've seen (2008-2011) are US import because our dollar was strong a few years back. Does being a US car hurt resale here in Canada? My C6 was a US car purchased out of Kentucky by a fellow in Calgary. I was the second owner. As far as I was concerned, it meant nothing to me that it was a US car and although dealers will try that on you if you want to trade, once challenged, it's mostly BS. One thing to consider though is if you commonly travel over 200kph, you have to toggle the speedo setting back to mph as it only goes up to 200...lol
7) How much does color play a role in pricing/resale? I really like the look of the silver, but have been surprised that they are actually pretty rare. Is this because they are in high or low demand? My opinion is colour makes no difference. Some colours are rarer than others (you can Google how many of each colour were produced in any given year), but all Vettes look great. If you have to have a certain colour, go ahead and wait until the right one comes along, but that does cut down a bit on availability. To be honest,

Thanks in advance.

I have 08Z06 with 20,000 original kms if you’re looking at getting into Z. Black/black in showroom condition. Montreal area.
Cheers.

Thanks in advance.
I purchased my 2006 3LT C7 M7 Z51 convertible in October of 2016. I did not find the prices lower in the fall. But it was the car I was looking for and I purchased it and drove it until this may when I traded it in on my Current 2018 Z51 Stingray Convertible. My C6 was a US car and the dealer I traded it in to didn't seem to care about that. It had 55,000 km on it and I was the 6th owner. That being said they allowed my $5000 less than I paid for it on trade. I think That was pretty fair. When they put it up for sale on their lot they were asking about 3000 more than I paid for it in 2006, but I do not know what it sold for but it was sold in less than a month. So my advise would be buy the car you want for the price you are willing to pay when you find it, if it checks out.. Enjoy the hunt and you will enjoy your new ride even more...Finding the right car for me in both cases took at least a year..

Thanks for the thorough responses guys! It is nice to be greeted with such friendliness, I'm hoping to become part of the community too!

I found a beautiful GS which checks all my boxes, but is a bit high on my price point. Not sure I can justify the added costs for features which I likely won't take advantage of, but it is a stunner. I may just have to wait to see what spring will bring.

@Frank514: Thank you for the offer. At this point I think a Z06 will be beyond my budget and performance requirements. I'm mostly looking for a weekend/evening cruiser.

Reactions: Frank514
The one I saw is a 2010 with 50,000km+, asking low $40s, but it seems well taken care of. If it was 2012/2013, I'd be much more excited. Not sure I'm at that mental budget yet, considering it will be a "toy". But dang, its pretty!

The one I saw is a 2010 with 50,000km+, asking low $40s, but it seems well taken care of. If it was 2012/2013, I'd be much more excited. Not sure I'm at that mental budget yet, considering it will be a "toy". But dang, its pretty!
Not sure about Ontario pricing but low 40's for a 2010 with 50,000 kilometers, strikes me as a little rich.

If I find one that I like in BC or Alberta, I'd happily do the drive home :D Keeping my eyes peeled.

PS: yours looks awesome! I love the dark headlights and (gunmetal?) wheels. Interested in parting with it? LOL
Thanks but I’m keeping mine. FYI Calgary Kijiji has a 2009 Z06 with 34,000 kilometres for $47k.

• Agree
Reactions: MikeysZ06
These are some good questions as it's really good to narrow down what you want so you can determine must haves, on the fence, and things you really don't want.

For depreciation, anything good with a manual transmissions seems to slow depreciation and even level out after long enough, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. When I was looking for my C6 a year and a half ago, I looked for about 2 years and didn't see much movement in price especially with earlier years around 2005-2008. I don't know what the 2009+ are doing but with the C7s aging and the C8 on its way they aren't in a bad position.
The GS is a great position between the base and the Z06, and really makes sense if you don't want to go all the way to the Z06. If you don't need these upgrades they could be a liability, as the base car is going to ride softer, have smaller wheels and tires so cheaper to replace, and smaller simpler brakes so easier to maintain, so it all comes down to how you use the car.

I looked for over a year for my car, so it's worth waiting for the right one.

Thanks in advance.
Others have already provided some great advice on your questions...I'll just add to #s 6 and 7 based on my experience. I just sold my 98 C5 in the summer and ordered a new C7 which I absolutely love. I bought my 98 at age 6 from a sports car/exotic car dealer in London, and he'd imported it from Florida. Which was great in that I knew it had never been winter driven. I guess your question #1 also falls here...I bought it in October and did get it for about 10% below what I expected, because he didn't want to have it in inventory for another 6 months. When I sold it (privately) this summer, there was no issue on the US heritage...in fact I put that as a benefit in the ad that it came from the southern US. The 98 was silver...overall my favourite vehicle colour (my first Vette was a 78 Silver Anniversary with the 2 tone silver/metallic grey, although for the C7 I've always liked them in grey so that's what I ordered for it). The London dealer I bought it from mentioned that in future he was only going to buy Vette's in the core colours...white/black/silver/grey...he had 2 others there at the time...one I remember was some odd blue/purple they had for the C5 and the other might have been burgandy...and he said he'd probably lose money on those two as most people wanted the basic colours. He also said that although 3/4 of new Vette buyers back then...and up to the C7...bought auto's...for used models most of his clients anyway wanted a manual. That's what my 3 Vette's have been, and why the C7 will be my last unless GM reintroduces a manual in the C8 and beyond. Good luck...hope you find what you're looking for :)

I will chime in on another process if you have not bought anything yet, is to get with "Corvette Magazine" as they often supply answers to the questions you have bought up, complete with expected prices up/down on various models. The prices are in USD which given that you are located in ON you might consider going stateside for your vehicle. As an example the April 2019 issue had an evaluation of the C6 models I have picked a couple for your information; 2009 coupe: Show Ready $38,500 / Good Condition $32,900 / Average Price $27,400, Add $500.00 for Magnetic Ride / $3,000 LT3 & LT4 group.

2010-2013 MY GS;
2010 example costing below:
Show ready $40,000 / Good Condition $34,000 / Average Price $28,500, Add $600.00 for Magnetic Ride / $3,000.00 LT3 & LT4 group.
Now I have noticed also that Provincially there are cost variances as well to consider. Here is also another idea try dealerships across Canada and see what comes up they might include shipping since it is now Nov and they will be eager to unload stock or New Rubber.
Now the GS was a great improvement on the previous Z51 since in fact the stiffer suspension was the only choice, the running gear was the same though therefore performance was much the same. Here is another point worth considering when replacing tires get your Michelins from Costco, and have them installed at a dealer who does Corvette Tire installation (you don't want the wheels damaged).

Thanks for the reply. The pricing you are noting is interesting if it is in USD, and doesn't seem to reflect what I'm seeing on the US sites. It seems that a 2010 GS with LT3 is around the $30k mark, although I'm not sure what "Show Ready" entitles. Perhaps that it was an April issue, the values have changed?

I have found a very nice 2010 GS with 57,000kms, but the seller is firm at $43k. At that level, it is entering base C7 territory, with lower kms.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Show ready means minimum wear and tear, and expect low mileage /kilometers. As mentioned it is really a guide as far as I am concerned and some of the costings I have noticed are similar to $CDN from this magazine but over all it is a good read.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.